Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
What's the total buy-in cost for an autocom, headset setup for one rider helmet, and BT integration with a phone or ipod type music player?

My perception is that it is well over $500.

The Scala and Sena sets currently get that done for about 50-60% of the price, do not require any wiring to the bike, and are portable from bike to bike. I imagine that's why they are so popular. The wired headset isn't the issue IMO.
Yup, downside of Autocomm is that they are really expensive, and aren't plug and play like a Scala if you are communicating with other bikes.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
so getting a communications system lined up for me and whoever is in the hack. Autocom seems like it has better volume, and you can use earbuds (which is great). Downsides are its wired, costs more, and lots of accessories need to be bought to run it that way (extensions, earbud adaptor, etc). good things - it can be run off AAA batteries or hardwired.
I had an Autocom system. I now have the Sena SMH10 system.
I was so glad to rip the Autocom systems out of the bike. I hated it. The volume was WAY too low. Yes, yes, I tried all of the tricks to get the speakers lined up and as close to the ears as possible. But it still sucked. And I bought the setup because a number of people bragged about how great the support was. NOT. The few people that I was able to get in touch with all harped the same thing about the speaker location. BS, the system simply SUCKED.

The Sena SMH10 system just works. It is easy to set up and easy to adjust the volume. On long trips, the batteries hold a charge for days. So it is a win all around IMHO.

Sena SMH10. No wires to the helmet. Easy to set up. Large easy to set volume knob.

The ONLY negative I have with the Sena. When you press the knob to activate the intercom, it takes a second to connect. With the wired system, it is more 'real time'. But that is minor to me.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #18
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Autocom is just great. Great volume and good mic's. I have utocom on all my bikes. The oldest unit is 15 years. Its next to bulletproof. Only problem i ever had was setting up bike to bike, but great suport from autocom UK
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Very happy with Scala g4. Did the earbud upgrade, even happier. Only use it to pair with my wife on her bike, so can't comment about 3 way pairing. Pair it to my Garmin GPS, take calls on my phone, and listen to iPod or FM - no issues. There IS a learning curve - lots of functions and the buttons are on the side of your head. Battery life is great never ran out of juice when touring all day. I do have to say that the voice activation is not great - we have taken to manually opening the comm channel and then closing the channel when the conversation is through. Full duplex intercom is just like having your partner in your helmet.
396427454 is offline   Reply With Quote