ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
yondering OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
No more straight gas in Skagit?

OK, up until last week, the 76 stations at Cook Rd/I-5 and Hwy 20 in Sedro were selling ethanol-free gas; I've been buying my gas there exclusively for the last couple years for that reason. Last week though, I pull in and see the "contains up to 10% ethanol" sign on the pumps. The station attendant tells me all the other 76 stations have switched to ethanol-contaminated gas too, meaning there's no place left in Skagit County, that I know of, to get straight gas.

Anyone else notice this, or know of any last holdouts confirmed in the last week or so?
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,385
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
http://pure-gas.org/

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,249
I've got some right across the highway here in Oak Harbor. Now if I could only burn some.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
yondering OP
Beastly Adventurer

Keith, have you checked within the last week if they still sell straight gas near you?

I do know about the pure-gas.org website, and have contributed to it, but the information I heard sounded like a change at the distributor or refinery level, affecting all the 76 (and other?) stations around. This is pretty recent and is not reflected on that website.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,697
I would love a straight answer on the pure gas issue. Despite what the website says, I had read in several places that any gas from the refineries in Anacortes, Cherry Point, Ferndale and Tacoma has had ethanol in it for several years. Pure gas is supposed to be more common in Eastern Washington since there are some jobbers/distributors who get gas with no ethanol in it from some refineries in Montana, Utah or Wyoming.

So for anyplace in Western Washington that sells ethanol-free gas, I wonder where they are getting it from.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
bscman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
The Skagit Farmer Supply cardlock on Park Lane, in Burlington is Ethanol free 87/89/92 octanes. This is conveniently located very near to Skagit Powersports....in the industrial park on the other side of the Railroad tracks. Simply drive north from Skagit Powersport, take a right at the Kia dealership, cross the railroad tracks, and turn Right on park lane.

As of Feb 19, 2013 Conoco-Phillips stopped selling pure gas--switching to E10 ethanol blend. This is why the local Texaco stations are now E10. You'll remember a few years back when Shell/Tesoro at March Point did the same thing, and shell stations (along with all the generic coscto/fred meyer/etc.) went to E10.

You can still get pure gas out of Tacoma...this one site is the only left in Western WA to my knowledge.

It should also be noted only the Park Lane skagit farmers is ethonal free. The Burlington Boulevard and Oak Harbor stations are E10.

Yes, I deliver fuel for a living.
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,612
Lake McMurray / Conway exit has non ethanol gas still..
Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,515
Why do they keep forcing this ethanol crap on us?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
yondering OP
Beastly Adventurer

bscman, thanks for the info!

Hi Mark! Which Conway exit station are you referring to, the 76 on the west side of the freeway? The one on the east side has had ethanol for a long time, if I understand correctly, and I'd assumed the one on the west side changed recently. Is there another station there?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Why do they keep forcing this ethanol crap on us?

1911fan
It started with the idea that we need to rid ourselves of dependence on foreign oil. That noble thought became what we have today.
Thank Acher Daniel Midland and their buddies. They had just a wee bit of influence to get the ball rolling. The Govt subsidies were/are great!
Look into sugar import tariffs for the reason we're not importing sugar cane from south of us. It makes great ethanol, more so than corn.
It's big biz working the system to do whats right for their shareholders instead of what's best for everyone.

WOLVERINES!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
I would love a straight answer on the pure gas issue. Despite what the website says, I had read in several places that any gas from the refineries in Anacortes, Cherry Point, Ferndale and Tacoma has had ethanol in it for several years. Pure gas is supposed to be more common in Eastern Washington since there are some jobbers/distributors who get gas with no ethanol in it from some refineries in Montana, Utah or Wyoming.

So for anyplace in Western Washington that sells ethanol-free gas, I wonder where they are getting it from.
Conoco Phillips has been ethanol free.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
It is because scumbags in Congress put contributions ahead of the best interest of their constituents.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
yondering OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
Conoco Phillips has been ethanol free.
Keith this was true (and the only place I bought gas!) up until recently, like within the last few weeks. Apparently not any more? That's what I'm trying to confirm. (In my posts above, I was referring to Conoco Phillips as "76", same thing.)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Qben
Q

Oddometer: 81
Not sure where you are exactly, but another option is marinas. They usually do E-free gas. They probably won't let you drive down the dock though. You could bring a gas can if you really ran out of other options.
Qben is offline   Reply With Quote