ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,807
Avgas,,know anyone with an airplane?
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
Avgas,,know anyone with an airplane?
At most small airports, just show up and buy.
Some want a aircraft tail number. Give them one parked on the tarmac.
The main thing they are comcerned with is being popped for selling to people that use the fuel for road use.

If that path works for you, also keep in mind that the gasline formula is different than automobile gasoline and may not give you the results you want.

When I raced hydroplanes we used a mix that was rarely more than 50% avgas.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
peterman
cop magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701 View Post
At most small airports, just show up and buy.
Some want a aircraft tail number. Give them one parked on the tarmac.
The main thing they are comcerned with is being popped for selling to people that use the fuel for road use.

If that path works for you, also keep in mind that the gasline formula is different than automobile gasoline and may not give you the results you want.

When I raced hydroplanes we used a mix that was rarely more than 50% avgas.
yeah,,but you had castor and nitro and shit to mix innit,,
The big boats don't really burn straight JP-4 either,,,,
RIP Bernie Little!
Met him once under 'his' tree, seemed like you knew him from forever.
(Sorry I bet against yer boat,,)
They get terrible mileage!
and you can't fish or water ski from them worth a darn!
Miss Elam,,hot pink!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisn View Post
It started with the idea that we need to rid ourselves of dependence on foreign oil.
Oh yeah, same reason the Department of Energy was created back in the 80s, IIRC. 30 years later, thousands of .gov employees, billions of dollars spent yearly, and we're no closer to energy independence.
Did anybody else see Al Gore's 'mea culpa' in the WSJ a couple years back? Before and during his tenure as VP, he was one of ethanol's biggest boosters, and has a lot to do with where we are today, In the article, he says he was wrong, that ethanol is fiscally unsound and the industry he helped create is a boondoggle supported by taxpayers.
You'd think he's going to put even a little energy into undoing the monster he helped create? Nope. After that article, not a peep. He's moved on to carbon trading.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
yeah,,but you had castor and nitro and shit to mix innit,,
Nope, I only raced in gas classes.
Specific gravity limit of 770 and ionic charge limits too.

Some other classes run methanol, I don't think there are any open fuel inboard classes left. The 98 cubic inch class is long gone and I think that 7 litre Div I is dead too. Even though they could, not too many people ran nitro in their 7 litres. Even running just methanol, the men that drove these boats around Green Lake had massive balls.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #21
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Keith this was true (and the only place I bought gas!) up until recently, like within the last few weeks. Apparently not any more? That's what I'm trying to confirm. (In my posts above, I was referring to Conoco Phillips as "76", same thing.)
I haven't been able to keep up..They are a customer and said they were going to have to start blending, I just didn't know it was so soon.
I'll check when I get back to work.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
bscman, thanks for the info!

Hi Mark! Which Conway exit station are you referring to, the 76 on the west side of the freeway? The one on the east side has had ethanol for a long time, if I understand correctly, and I'd assumed the one on the west side changed recently. Is there another station there?

The 76 on the Eastside of the freeway. I just drove by a few minutes ago to dbl check since this is where I fill up 2x a week at least. I see no signs that say contains 10 or 15% ethanol on the pumps. The only stickers I see say may contain 5% bio diesel, over the diesel pump handle.

So.. if they did in fact switch isn't it some law that they have to display the stickers?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
peterman
cop magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701 View Post
Nope, I only raced in gas classes.
Specific gravity limit of 770 and ionic charge limits too.

Some other classes run methanol, I don't think there are any open fuel inboard classes left. The 98 cubic inch class is long gone and I think that 7 litre Div I is dead too. Even though they could, not too many people ran nitro in their 7 litres. Even running just methanol, the men that drove these boats around Green Lake had massive balls.

Awesome!
We did the Columbia Cup as a yearly visit to family.
We had a ball in 2002, did the whole waterfront scene,, it was cool,, the big cranes are there for the big boats,, traffic stops on the bridges,, you wade out into the Columbia River from the Pasco side where it is shallow for a long ways out.
Watch the big digital 'START' clock ticking down,,at 0:00 they hit it, go thru turn 1,,skim across turn 2,, and are headed straight at you swimming around on yer inner tube at 220 mph!,,then they turn!

sounds like 205,,
Have I not posted this shit before?
RIP my brother StevenE,,
and RIP Bernie Little,, who fought hard to keep the sport alive.
Vastly rich Mofo's or company needs a right off? I never got the why,,but when the V-12 Allisons,, and Merlins were the Thunderboats, The Unlimiteds,, I fell in love!
Atlas van lines,,Oh boy Oberto,,lMiss Bardall,,
then came the jet engines, and the sound of pistons went away forever.
Still, when the big boats come at you and you dive underwater, you can hear the scream of the props screwing thru the water, it's pretty stupid,,
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
yondering OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
The 76 on the Eastside of the freeway. I just drove by a few minutes ago to dbl check since this is where I fill up 2x a week at least. I see no signs that say contains 10 or 15% ethanol on the pumps. The only stickers I see say may contain 5% bio diesel, over the diesel pump handle.

So.. if they did in fact switch isn't it some law that they have to display the stickers?
Interesting. Yeah, I thought they had to display a sticker on the pump if they're selling ethanol. They did have that a couple years ago, but it's been a while since I've stopped there. Maybe they switched back? Might be worth asking somebody that works there.

If that one is ethanol-free, that would be handy. Thanks for the info.

bscman, thanks again for the info on the card-lock place behind SP. I filled up there last night, and appreciate the sign on the pump that says "All gasoline dispensed from this station is ethanol free".
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #25
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting. Yeah, I thought they had to display a sticker on the pump if they're selling ethanol. They did have that a couple years ago, but it's been a while since I've stopped there. Maybe they switched back? Might be worth asking somebody that works there.

If that one is ethanol-free, that would be handy. Thanks for the info.

bscman, thanks again for the info on the card-lock place behind SP. I filled up there last night, and appreciate the sign on the pump that says "All gasoline dispensed from this station is ethanol free".
ill head down later today, time to donate and fill up again.. I'm sure those guys with the heavy equipment, tractors, etc that dominate this area on the farms don't appreciate the ethanol at all..
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
IpponDuro
Now with Camel Toe

Oddometer: 1,007
I rode through the Cook Road 76 station this morning, all the pumps now have the sticker "contains up to 10% ethanol"

Most of the Heavy farm equipment runs on Diesel, Non-taxed Red Diesel Dyed so The IRS can check your tanks and fine you for having it in your street legal vehicle. The Local farmers will usually have BSCMAN deliver the red stuff direct to the farm so they don't have to "road" the tractors to town.
IpponDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
ill head down later today, time to donate and fill up again.. I'm sure those guys with the heavy equipment, tractors, etc that dominate this area on the farms don't appreciate the ethanol at all..

no sticker on the pumps after more inspection today.. but also had my 2 yo in the car so didn't bother going in and asking... just swiped, pumped, and left.

thanks for the info ipponduro.. figured as much as you don't see the tractors rolling down the road. But I have noticed non ethanol gas is more prevalent around farm communities.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #28
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 130
Seasonal only

This time of year the refineries switch over from winter formulation (oxygenated) to summer. Ethanol-free is temporarily unavailable during the changeover. So the small indie stations have to either close or take one load of E10. Keep a close eye -- later this month they will be back to ethanol-free when the refinery is back up.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
yondering OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
This time of year the refineries switch over from winter formulation (oxygenated) to summer. Ethanol-free is temporarily unavailable during the changeover. So the small indie stations have to either close or take one load of E10. Keep a close eye -- later this month they will be back to ethanol-free when the refinery is back up.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I haven't encountered that at the 76 stations in previous years, but it would be nice if that's the case.

Hey Woodlief, you gonna be up for some riding this summer?
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #30
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I haven't encountered that at the 76 stations in previous years, but it would be nice if that's the case.

Hey Woodlief, you gonna be up for some riding this summer?
not sure yet.. jury is still out.. the deer I hit last year, really played heck with my shoulder. Ill be bouncing around the yard with the trials bikes but not sure how much walker i'll be doing this year. Likely dual sporting is fine, but don't think I'll be doing anything gnarly.