User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Zepfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
2003 Suzuki DR 650 $3400. SHOULD I ????

I'm toying with the idea of buying a second bike. I love my Vstrom 1k and am thinking I want to explore off road more. I'm also thinking on another overland ride.

I love my strom, comfort, ability and protection. I do ride on dirt roads allot w/ stock setup and the bike can take you there WITH caution.

Is $3400. a good price? I may want to resell quickly if I don't like it.

2003 Suzuki DR 650. In great condition, garage kept and professionally maintained. 17k miles. Set up for adventure riding/touring. Nothing more to put on the bike which is in great working condition. IMS 5 gal tank, skid plate, full FMF exhaust (ss header, Q4 muffler), Mukuni pumper carb, Sargent Seat, Hepco&Becker pannier rack, panniers, rear rack and case, progressive springs, fork brace, hd bulb, handlebar risers, ram mount, twin air filters. Tires < 2k miles, battery recently replaced along with new chain guard. Bought a new KTM but still hate to sell this comfortable and reliable bike but need room in the garage. Title in hand, current California registration. Email with any questions and I will phone you back. Price is firm. If you know this bike and set up you will appreciate the value.
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Zepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,673
Make sure it runs ok with the carb change,sometimes that can go on for a long time getting it to run right. Otherwise it sounds good,people rarely expect to get what they ask so a couple hundred dollars wiggle room might be in the cards. Of course if it looks like its been drug through hell and back backwards behind a fast truck,run for the hills.

Some guys think DR's are dirtbikes.

(DR suspension needs more then springs,if hes only done springs with out fixing the valving it wont work for shite,Race-Tech gold valves and emulators are a common fix)
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,978
See if the stock pipe and carburetor are part of the deal. FMF Q4 is highly regarded as an aftermarket exhaust, but it's still too loud for some. And like Foot Dragger says, make sure it runs perfectly with that pumper carb, because good luck sorting it out if it doesn't.

Actually, if I had a Vstrom I'd be looking for something lighter (than a DR650) as a second bike. But that DR650 is worth a look.

montesa_vr screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 01:03 PM
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Zepfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Thanks for the info.

It's a long drive to pick this up.

The carb replacement got me thinking.
Why do it in the first place? For my overland aspirations I want killer MPG. Is this carb going to kill MPG ?????

He wanted $3700. and I got him down to $3400.
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.
Zepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Some guys swear up and down they get good mileage with the high dollar carb swaps,some cant get the jetting right,some cut up the airbox and cant get the jetting right. If it all works right the bike gets better throttle response and a little more power. Ive got a Q4 FMF muffler on my 530 KTM and its definitly as loud as I would want a street legal bike,and will need to be re-packed from time to time.

On my DR I leave the carb stock,the muffler stock,and it goes fast enough that way to easily over reach the handling of the bike.
50mpg most all the time and its smooth and quiet.

For casual use you may want to find one with stock intake and exhaust for simplicity sake if nothing else.

Fixing the suspension with Race-Tech parts front and rear was the best thing I did for the bike,that and a good seat,stock seat is no good what so ever.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,689
For that price you could get an 05-07 Husky T610 or KTM 640.

In other words, you could get a newer, more modern bike. (if you choose)
It's too pricey for an 03, imo.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
For that price you could get an 05-07 Husky T610 or KTM 640.

In other words, you could get a newer, more modern bike. (if you choose)
It's too pricey for an 03, imo.
Yeah but a DR650 doesnt need a cam chain every 10,000 miles like a 610,or have the built in odd ball things that sometimes happen to LC4 engines.
That DR has much $ spent on traveling stuff already,along with more $ spent on other stuff,just have to spend that all over again otherwise.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfan View Post
I'm toying with the idea of buying a second bike. I love my Vstrom 1k and am thinking I want to explore off road more. I'm also thinking on another overland ride.

I love my strom, comfort, ability and protection. I do ride on dirt roads allot w/ stock setup and the bike can take you there WITH caution.

Is $3400. a good price? I may want to resell quickly if I don't like it.

2003 Suzuki DR 650. In great condition, garage kept and professionally maintained. 17k miles. Set up for adventure riding/touring. Nothing more to put on the bike which is in great working condition. IMS 5 gal tank, skid plate, full FMF exhaust (ss header, Q4 muffler), Mukuni pumper carb, Sargent Seat, Hepco&Becker pannier rack, panniers, rear rack and case, progressive springs, fork brace, hd bulb, handlebar risers, ram mount, twin air filters. Tires < 2k miles, battery recently replaced along with new chain guard. Bought a new KTM but still hate to sell this comfortable and reliable bike but need room in the garage. Title in hand, current California registration. Email with any questions and I will phone you back. Price is firm. If you know this bike and set up you will appreciate the value.
If the stock parts, or at least the stock exhaust parts and BST carb, are included, $3400 isn't a BAD price in most locales. Are all those farkles exactly what you would want, or can you sell them to buy exactly what you'd want? You could part that bike out for considerably more than $3400 if most of it is in good shape. Just the tank, exhaust, seat, and luggage can be worth quite a bit.

Without the farkles, I wouldn't go more than $2500 on a 2003 with 17K miles on it though, and I'd be trying to talk them into less than $2K.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote