Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
SCflyer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Anyone have flexxbars with HDB anti-vibe inserts?

Working on getting my set-up together and wondering the results of putting anti-vibe inserts in the Flexxbars? I know Fasstco makes some similar but HDBs are flush on the end and look like they'd work better with a Kaoko.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Working on getting my set-up together and wondering the results of putting anti-vibe inserts in the Flexxbars? I know Fasstco makes some similar but HDBs are flush on the end and look like they'd work better with a Kaoko.

Thanks
HDBs will work better, but not for the reasons you stated.

If you look at the Fasst ones, you'll see they use a rubber elastomer to grip the inside of the bar.

The HDB ones are just a much heavier version of their standard threaded end insert (that you have to tap the bars to install).

This is a pretty major distinction, as the HDB threaded end insert is designed to stop the handguards turning in a crash, it's a much sturdier system.

Also, if my memory is correct (watch the Fasst Anti Vibration Insert Handguard video on Youtube, you'll see the narrowing adapter they install) the bolt that runs through the center of the Fasst anti-vibration inserts is much narrower than a standard handguard end mounting bolt.

The tapped inserts on the HDB system is one of it's advantages, doesn't seem sensible after spending all the money on their handguards to lose it by going with the Fasst inserts.

That said, from the pics, the Flexx ones look to perhaps have more mass than the HDB ones. I added the Flexx anti-vibration inserts to my Flexx Bars on an old LC4 hoping to reduce the vibes and I thought they made zero (not even a slight) difference.

There doesn't seem to be enough mass on either to have a pronounced effect, again IMO.

Good luck!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Here are the two Fasst videos, hope they help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQsezJIE9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKbwJWtBppk (0.26 in they mention the "countersunk adapter")
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I rode over 3000 miles with the regular HDB inserts installed in the stock bars and saw no reason to install the anti-vibration insert when I installed them on my Flexx bars.

Now when I get my 690 thumper they may be needed and I'll go with the HDB AVI but for the LC8 I saw no need.

Just my $.02.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote