Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,195
I don't know what your all talking about...putting your foot down and backing it into a corner is classic flat tracking
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
RedReplicant
whynot

Oddometer: 22
He could have been fucking around partially and was trying to put a foot down supermoto style and back the thing in to the corner a bit. Lot'o shit talkin in this thread.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Oddometer: 215
Ah, so he is really an expert rider? And at a relatively slow speed, in an open bend, on dry pavement, he decided to push his inner foot forward to get more grip at the front, while locking his rear to slide his ass around, like a rallye car? Wow, didn't see that at first. That is some advanced riding techniques!
ThorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
27Firehouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Excuse me, but do we post here to get razed for our wrecks to be made fun of?! Not to break up your fun, but until you clean up the parts of a fellow bike rider off the road, think about your reply. Not trying to be a jerk, but, until you pick up parts of a riders body after a wreck does it hit you. We at some point have done something stupid or charged a corner to hard weather we made it thru or not. Think about it before you post your opinoins. Look at it as a learning item and wish the rider well. sorry if you take offense, just feel strongly about seeing a rider take a serious hit like that.
27Firehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #20
ThorH
BMW R1200GS

Oddometer: 215
Sorry, you are right. My first response was to the "what really happened" question, where I tried to make sense of what I saw on the video. The second was rather to mock the later suggestions than the unfortunate rider.
ThorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #21
jaymboze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Ditto to 27firehouse.
Can you imagine how many crash videos would be on YouTube if everyone who threw their bike bike down the road had a guy with a video camera behind them...?
Yes, he made a mess of the corner, it's pretty obvious, but like other comments already been made, seeing this sort of thing happen on the road is no laughing matter.
Glad he lived, let alone had very minor injuries.

I READ IT ON THE INTERNET, SO IT MUST BE TRUE...
jaymboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #22
bumbeen
Banned

Oddometer: 104
It does suck and don't like seeing a rider get in trouble like that but I couldn't see any reason to go off the road in that manner. If I am leaving the highway my pegs will be scraping at least
bumbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,086
Now that we are back on topic-

Watching the vid it seems obvious the rider had plenty more lean left while the only thing obvious to the rider was impending guardrail strike.

Several years back, after being out of the saddle for a while, my friend and I were riding twisty rural two lane probably a little too fast with him in the lead when we came upon a downhill, left hand turn through an overpass for train tracks. He never hit his brakes but I remember watching him lean, and continue to lean, through the corner and exit. As I entered with all intention of leaning similarly, my focus shifted to the abuttment of the overpass and I found myself braking instead.
Even now, I'm unclear how I didn't dump it (brute force not skill) but it was very close as I ended well onto the shoulder, front tire in the dirt.

Sometimes the mind-body connection is lost, I guess.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
crash

To the OP.

You were there, so what did happen? I assume you were the guy behind him?

It initially looked to me like he panicked and over braked instead of riding it out. Like someone else here said .......... he had tons of lean left. (look at the guy riding in front of him)

At one point I thought the white line got him too .............. but when I went back and watched it again, it was obvious that he was leaving a black streak before he got to the white line.

I never could get a read on his brake light? Was it on?

That almost made me wonder if it was a mechanical failure? Something lock up the rear wheel?

Was this guy really not seriously hurt? If not, that was truly amazing! Lucky dude.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
nunuk OP
In Thrust We Trust

Oddometer: 22
You don't like to know what I thought when it happened. It was a huge hit, plain with his chest on the beam. The beam you see on the right was not properly planted, but the one he hitted was, and he moved it from the ground.

He was tired (he stated so just a few minutes before we started a technical stop), it was a very long route in a very hot day, we all sweated a lot. About the turning point he realizes he wont be able to turn the bike into the apex, he panicked (SR's, target fixation) blocked his rear wheel brake, and he hitted exactly to where he was looking at. Big, strong and lucky guy.
nunuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Looked to me like he may have hit oil.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #27
SilverBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
It's good that he's ok. It reminded me my own own experience.

First time riding w/ a group as a noob, I told the leader that I was a rookie. Before taking off, he came to me & said: "You got knobbies, ride careful w/ your own speed. Don't try to catch me/us, we'll wait for you." I took his advice.

30 minutes later, my bike & my right leg were sliding along the guard rail (almost the same as shown on the video) for a few yards. I was praying for not hitting any huge bolt :). My bike & my leg did not have any scratch afterward.

About another 30 minutes later or so, another rider almost die around a corner. He was racing w/ the leader. He was perfectly ok also but his bike got some damages.

Since then, I don't ride with my group without him (the leader). A very nice & humble guy, but he's so good w/ his bike.
SilverBike is offline   Reply With Quote