Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Still on the fence for this one, but I may give it a go. I have all my scrapped up shit ready to put back on the bike at a moments notice

Hey Vx, I was just in Durango last weekend visiting my Dad!
Damn, shoulda hit me up, the riding is epic right now!

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #32
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
dood.... the million dollar highway out of Durango..... Bucket list! It was so good its BACK on my bucket list after having done it!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #33
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,971
Well I decided to ride this weekend. I will see you guys out there! Now I need to work on the bike a little
Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #34
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Damn inner ear infection is making my first result be a DNS. This shit is the worst.

Good luck everyone.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Well that sux. I am going to try and make it out to my Dad's again in July, if I do I will look you up.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well that sux. I am going to try and make it out to my Dad's again in July, if I do I will look you up.
Do it

I should be good to ride by then...

Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Well I decided to ride this weekend. I will see you guys out there! Now I need to work on the bike a little
Put the shitty wheels and bars on there.....

and plastics, and seat.....

GO GET EM MIKE!!!

Quote:
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #38
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Don't know about "Getting Them", but I will be happy if I can win my class. I have no illusions about this "Race", I was thrashed the first year I did it, and this year it is supposed to be a lot tougher. I just have to go a little farther than the next guy
Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #39
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
I will out on Saturday also.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Don't know about "Getting Them", but I will be happy if I can win my class. I have no illusions about this "Race", I was thrashed the first year I did it, and this year it is supposed to be a lot tougher. I just have to go a little farther than the next guy
You gunna take the 300?

and you're going to kick ass!
Quote:
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #41
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
You gunna take the 300?

and you're going to kick ass!
Well I'm damn sure not taking my new 450

Changed out the plastic, seat and pipe last night, probably leave the gearing alone. I'm as ready as I'll ever be.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #42
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,533
I'm heading out today with thump_co. I think Im mentaly prepared for the imminent ass-kicking and my bike has all the pointy edges smashed in, so I'm as ready as Ill ever be.

Mike, If you see us in the pits drop by and say hi. In case I dont run into you beforehand, best of luck! We will be in my tundra with two KTMs, looks like this..
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #43
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

I'll be looking for you. I will be in a Minnie Winnie that looks like it should be parked on a side street somewhere with a couple of KTM's behind it. Look for the pink and green flag.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #44
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

What a day yesterday! Nice to meet you Tony, have a safe trip back. I did pretty good in the qualifier, lined up LDS1 on row 14 with two pals from the Checkers MC. Rode good and steady, had a few tip overs, but finished it. Then, due to people getting lost, they let everyone qualify for LDS2. They started weeding them out in a hurry. Not far off the start there was a hillclimb, not real long, but steep and loose. By the time I got to it there had to be 20+ people waiting at the bottom and 10 or 12 floundering on the hill. Well, I hate to wait so I started working on an alternate line and with some help I got over the top and passed a bunch of people who were still sitting at the bottom.

But that was about it for me, I had used so much energy getting up the hill that I was riding really slow, fell down in one of the big rock obstacles and was trapped under the bike, so more energy consumed. Got to the Enduro X section and surprisingly cleaned it, but next up was the planks over the big waterhole. It had to be a good 40 feet on a 2x6 over a 2 1/2 to 3 foot deep waterhole. I had made it in the 1st round with a little trouble, but mostly dry. Not so much this time. They closed the ramps and were making you ride through the water and I drowned the bike, airbox was dry as a bone (I taped the shit out of it and it worked) I guess the electrics didn't like the dunking I gave it, so that was it for me. After the bike sat for 20 minutes or so it fired right up.

Then we hung around to watch LDS3, the remaining 8 riders (out of about 100 that started the day) would have to do two loops around an 8-10 mile course. It took them something like two and a half hours, with Taylor Robert winning by a decent margin, Cory Graffunder was second and i'm not sure about the others.

Oh, and at the end of the loop they had to go off of the "Prarie Dogs Diving Board", a ramp off the side of a hill right at the finish, with about a 30 foot drop. Wait until you see the video of it!

All in all it was a fun day, although I guess I have a twisted sense of fun
Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #45
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,533
What a crazy race! What a great bunch of people! It was good to meet you too Mike, I'm going to remember the tape on the airbox for next year!

We rolled in Friday afternoon and the first thing I saw was the 40' death drop. Needless to say I was bit rattled by it.

Not too bad from the bottom.....

Much worse from the top... blind, big, and a with soft sand landing.
(pic stolen from Thump_co's FB, thanks!)

In the end it didn't matter only 8 riders out of 100+ starters had to (got to?) attempt the drop and I wasn't one of them.
We were staying in a hotel and were worried about the bikes being in the back of the truck, so one of the Prairie Dog members we had met offered to keep our bikes there, at the race track, with him. Like I said, great people!
The next morning we show up get everthing ready and I head, a little late, to the start line. I had no idea where to stage and they were already starting the first lines. Thump_co is with me, we're entered in 30+ vet A and we're lined up with CRF 150's and KTM 105's on the second to last row...somehow I still didn't get the holeshot. So I had pretty slow qualifiying time. There were a lot of riders to pass and a lot of crashes to pick through. At one point I blow a corner follow a rider off the course and had to turn back around and pick my way through 10 or so riders that I had just passed the lap prior. I end up on Row 18 for the LDS1.
LDS1 starts and I am feeling pretty good, picking off riders one at a time. We get to the first obstacle and there are 3-4 riders sitting at the bottom and another 3-4 hung up on the obstacle. I sit there for a second, see a line open up. No one is going for it, so I'm off. In less than 5 seconds I had just passed 6-7 riders! The next obstacle was almost the same as the first, another 6-7 riders. Then into the Endurocross section, it was total carnage, downed or hung-up riders everwhere. I pick my way through and it seemed like I must have gained another dozen positions. Needless to say I was feeling very lucky. I get to the skinny bridge water crossing (a 40' 2x4 over 4' deep water), they are stopping riders and alowing only 2 at a time to attempt the bridges and then dragging out the victims bikes with a truck. I pull up, wait, get the go ahead by the official and start to roll into the down hill approach. All of the sudden I hear the official yelling "wait wait wait!" So I stop inches from the bridge and pointing downhill and he gives me the Go ahead, great. So now I'm in a funny position to start from and too close the start of the bridge. I decide to just touch the bridge with my front tire (they said that I had to attempt the bridge) and then just ford the rest. I get into the water and it was just too deep for the little 350. A few seconds later they drag my sorry, soggy ass out on a tow rope and I go to work clearing the engine. They pull one more guy out and then start draining the pond to a lower depth! I couldn't believe my bad timing. The bike restarted and ran for a few minutes, but it quickly gave up the ghost. That was the end for me this year. I will be back, though! I had a blast! We met a bunch of people and everyone was awesome!

cross-country screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 07:13 AM
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote