Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 AM   #1
chasesa OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Bultaco Alpina Forks Issue

Hi gang,
I'm re-building forks on my '75 Bultaco Alpina.

Cannot understand how to tighten the allen bolt holding the lower leg to the inner shock component (lower part of shock tube - name of part escapes me). When the bolt engages the inner part simply turns.

Seems to me there must be a special tool to hold the inner shock from turning. It's a long reach from the top of the tube!
Thanks!
chasesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Talking

The top of the damper tube has like a pin through it to use a special tool to hold it from turning. Sometimes you can find a long screwdriver with a thin blade to reach and hold it from turning. It helps to have the fork fully compressed.

Make sure the threads in the damper rod are clean as well as the threads on the allen bolt that goes into the damper rod.

Sometimes, you get lucky and installing the spring and fork cap provides enough resistance to keep the damper rod from turning.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
Sometimes, you get lucky and installing the spring and fork cap provides enough resistance to keep the damper rod from turning.
this is usually the quick and easy way.

flip forks upside down.
get your air impact setup. press down hard on forks to compress spring against damper rod.. this preloads the damper, keep forks compressed then hit it with the rattle gun and zoom they are in. removal is identical.

as mentioned, make sure threads are clean on damper rod and bolt. and you have a nice positive engagement with bolt/rattle gun...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote