ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
TerraNick23 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 16
North GA DS Rides? Where to find routes?

I recently picked up my new Husqvarna Terra 650. I have some basic mods done, but still no skid plate(its the next thing on order, just gotta figure out which one) and I am still on stock tires, With that said, the trails cant get too crazy.

What trails would be good to hit, and how do I find out what routes to take and so forth. I have some time off this week and would like to make some day trips up there. I used to do it on my last street bike, but stuck to the paved roads and obviously never went off road.

Thanks chaps

ps Wedesday and potentially Fri(March 6 and 8) will be the days I may ride, if it turns out anyone else would like to ride around the Kennesaw let me know. Always good to go with other people incase something happens.
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor
 
BryceB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 296
I'll usually head up to the FS roads in the mountains. Ride around until I get tired or lost... Then punch in home on the GPS and head back or find a place to camp.

Here's a link to the FS road maps
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...Forest-%20Maps
__________________
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
TerraNick23 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Oddometer: 16
awesome info. Thanks Bryce

If I had the time to, I would love to just get lost and end up camping. In fact at some point thats what I will be doing. But for now, I only have time for a day trip. Not afraid of riding at night, but cant do any overnight excursions.

If you ever find your self going for a ride let me know, says your in acworth, I live off Jiles.
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer
 
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Acworth Georgia
Oddometer: 2,282
Im just off wade green the otherside of the expressway. Go to ellijay, head out 52 towards Dahlonga, take Bigcreek till you see FS 42 go off on your right at the top of the MTN. Then go get lost. If you can catch me one day with nothing to do I'll take you and show you around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2Wheels View Post
awesome info. Thanks Bryce

If I had the time to, I would love to just get lost and end up camping. In fact at some point thats what I will be doing. But for now, I only have time for a day trip. Not afraid of riding at night, but cant do any overnight excursions.

If you ever find your self going for a ride let me know, says your in acworth, I live off Jiles.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dep411's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Im just off wade green the otherside of the expressway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2Wheels View Post
If you ever find your self going for a ride let me know, says your in acworth, I live off Jiles.
Glad I joined 2day and found this thread... I'm from Kennesaw, very close to
you guys

I just put down a down payment on a new bike and as soon it comes in I'd be down to ride with ya'll. Don't really care where we go as long as its fun :)
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer
 
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Acworth Georgia
Oddometer: 2,282
Nice, what will you be riding? Fun for who? The things I think are fun some don't feel the same way. On the real though, I'll be glad to show you guys around anytime I can. If you like anything more than a dirt road, it will have to dry up some. I'm riding a 950 Adventure with worn out Scorpions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
Glad I joined 2day and found this thread... I'm from Kennesaw, very close to
you guys

I just put down a down payment on a new bike and as soon it comes in I'd be down to ride with ya'll. Don't really care where we go as long as its fun :)
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dep411's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Nice, what will you be riding? Fun for who? The things I think are fun some don't feel the same way. On the real though, I'll be glad to show you guys around anytime I can. If you like anything more than a dirt road, it will have to dry up some. I'm riding a 950 Adventure with worn out Scorpions.
I'll be on a 690, as soon as it comes in And anything on two wheels is fun for me. That would be awesome if you can show us around some day. I'm some what familiar with the suches loop and wolf pen and blood Mt but thats all with a street bike. It would be fun to ride down some fire roads and more scenic stuff.
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor
 
BryceB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Acworth, GA
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Im just off wade green the otherside of the expressway. Go to ellijay, head out 52 towards Dahlonga, take Bigcreek till you see FS 42 go off on your right at the top of the MTN. Then go get lost. If you can catch me one day with nothing to do I'll take you and show you around.
I'm over on the Woodstock side of Acworth. Near the intersection of Woodstock Road and Kellogg Creek Road.

Good asvce in the FS42 routes... 42 usually ends up being a rad on my tris up that way.

Heres what I putt around on
__________________
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
loosesprocket
Adventurer
 
loosesprocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Blairsville, GA
Oddometer: 87
I live in Blairsville and ride Coopers Creek and Blue Ridge Forest Ser all the time. We are also going to ride Western NC over to and around Tellico Plains TN. A lot of good riding up here. PM anytime as we are ready to ride now !
loosesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
djminta
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 29
I'm in Marietta with a 2006 Husky 610. I'd love to meet up with anyone willing to ride. I usually have Mondays off...
djminta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS
 
mb90535im's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NW GA
Oddometer: 4,754
The Cohutta's are my favorite in N GA. I believe the approach roads headed to the summit of Grassy Mountain are still closed, but should be re-opening any day now. Watch the DOGS thread for rides and show up.
__________________
"Dang man I'm impressed." - Willy-B
"Are you OK? ... Are you sure you're OK?" - Honcho
"Disturbing and funny, all at the same time." - MrTwisty
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS
 
mb90535im's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: NW GA
Oddometer: 4,754
The Cohutta's/Big Frog are my favorite in N GA/SE TN. I believe the approach roads headed to the summit of Grassy Mountain are still closed, but should be opening any day now. Watch the DOGS thread for rides and show up.
__________________
"Dang man I'm impressed." - Willy-B
"Are you OK? ... Are you sure you're OK?" - Honcho
"Disturbing and funny, all at the same time." - MrTwisty
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer
 
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Acworth Georgia
Oddometer: 2,282
Nice ride you have coming. I need to get me another thumper myself. It will do well on the fire roads and black top. Do you have any off-road experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
I'll be on a 690, as soon as it comes in And anything on two wheels is fun for me. That would be awesome if you can show us around some day. I'm some what familiar with the suches loop and wolf pen and blood Mt but thats all with a street bike. It would be fun to ride down some fire roads and more scenic stuff.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer
 
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Acworth Georgia
Oddometer: 2,282
I cut thru your area sometimes, and will keep an eye out for you. 06 950 adventure, orange. Ride it everday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
I'm over on the Woodstock side of Acworth. Near the intersection of Woodstock Road and Kellogg Creek Road.

Good asvce in the FS42 routes... 42 usually ends up being a rad on my tris up that way.

Heres what I putt around on
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dep411's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Nice ride you have coming. I need to get me another thumper myself. It will do well on the fire roads and black top. Do you have any off-road experience?
I had a wr450 that I sold a few years back. It was a beast. I used to like to take it through the mud and rocks but now I'm getting too fragile for that stuff. I really want to do some exploring type of riding and have a bike that if needed can get over the things in the way :)
I Hope my wait is not that long before she is in the stable. Doing a lot of googling and it's hard to read all these stories of great riding.

dep411 screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 08:16 PM
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014