ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
TerraNick23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
North GA DS Rides? Where to find routes?

I recently picked up my new Husqvarna Terra 650. I have some basic mods done, but still no skid plate(its the next thing on order, just gotta figure out which one) and I am still on stock tires, With that said, the trails cant get too crazy.

What trails would be good to hit, and how do I find out what routes to take and so forth. I have some time off this week and would like to make some day trips up there. I used to do it on my last street bike, but stuck to the paved roads and obviously never went off road.

Thanks chaps

ps Wedesday and potentially Fri(March 6 and 8) will be the days I may ride, if it turns out anyone else would like to ride around the Kennesaw let me know. Always good to go with other people incase something happens.
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
I'll usually head up to the FS roads in the mountains. Ride around until I get tired or lost... Then punch in home on the GPS and head back or find a place to camp.

Here's a link to the FS road maps
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...Forest-%20Maps
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
TerraNick23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
awesome info. Thanks Bryce

If I had the time to, I would love to just get lost and end up camping. In fact at some point thats what I will be doing. But for now, I only have time for a day trip. Not afraid of riding at night, but cant do any overnight excursions.

If you ever find your self going for a ride let me know, says your in acworth, I live off Jiles.
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Im just off wade green the otherside of the expressway. Go to ellijay, head out 52 towards Dahlonga, take Bigcreek till you see FS 42 go off on your right at the top of the MTN. Then go get lost. If you can catch me one day with nothing to do I'll take you and show you around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2Wheels View Post
awesome info. Thanks Bryce

If I had the time to, I would love to just get lost and end up camping. In fact at some point thats what I will be doing. But for now, I only have time for a day trip. Not afraid of riding at night, but cant do any overnight excursions.

If you ever find your self going for a ride let me know, says your in acworth, I live off Jiles.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Im just off wade green the otherside of the expressway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeon2Wheels View Post
Glad I joined 2day and found this thread... I'm from Kennesaw, very close to
you guys

I just put down a down payment on a new bike and as soon it comes in I'd be down to ride with ya'll. Don't really care where we go as long as its fun :)
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Nice, what will you be riding? Fun for who? The things I think are fun some don't feel the same way. On the real though, I'll be glad to show you guys around anytime I can. If you like anything more than a dirt road, it will have to dry up some. I'm riding a 950 Adventure with worn out Scorpions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
Glad I joined 2day and found this thread... I'm from Kennesaw, very close to
you guys

I just put down a down payment on a new bike and as soon it comes in I'd be down to ride with ya'll. Don't really care where we go as long as its fun :)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice, what will you be riding? Fun for who? The things I think are fun some don't feel the same way. On the real though, I'll be glad to show you guys around anytime I can. If you like anything more than a dirt road, it will have to dry up some. I'm riding a 950 Adventure with worn out Scorpions.
I'll be on a 690, as soon as it comes in And anything on two wheels is fun for me. That would be awesome if you can show us around some day. I'm some what familiar with the suches loop and wolf pen and blood Mt but thats all with a street bike. It would be fun to ride down some fire roads and more scenic stuff.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Im just off wade green the otherside of the expressway. Go to ellijay, head out 52 towards Dahlonga, take Bigcreek till you see FS 42 go off on your right at the top of the MTN. Then go get lost. If you can catch me one day with nothing to do I'll take you and show you around.
I'm over on the Woodstock side of Acworth. Near the intersection of Woodstock Road and Kellogg Creek Road.

Good asvce in the FS42 routes... 42 usually ends up being a rad on my tris up that way.

Heres what I putt around on
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
loosesprocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I live in Blairsville and ride Coopers Creek and Blue Ridge Forest Ser all the time. We are also going to ride Western NC over to and around Tellico Plains TN. A lot of good riding up here. PM anytime as we are ready to ride now !
loosesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
djminta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I'm in Marietta with a 2006 Husky 610. I'd love to meet up with anyone willing to ride. I usually have Mondays off...
djminta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,754
The Cohutta's are my favorite in N GA. I believe the approach roads headed to the summit of Grassy Mountain are still closed, but should be re-opening any day now. Watch the DOGS thread for rides and show up.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,754
The Cohutta's/Big Frog are my favorite in N GA/SE TN. I believe the approach roads headed to the summit of Grassy Mountain are still closed, but should be opening any day now. Watch the DOGS thread for rides and show up.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Nice ride you have coming. I need to get me another thumper myself. It will do well on the fire roads and black top. Do you have any off-road experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dep411 View Post
I'll be on a 690, as soon as it comes in And anything on two wheels is fun for me. That would be awesome if you can show us around some day. I'm some what familiar with the suches loop and wolf pen and blood Mt but thats all with a street bike. It would be fun to ride down some fire roads and more scenic stuff.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

I cut thru your area sometimes, and will keep an eye out for you. 06 950 adventure, orange. Ride it everday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
I'm over on the Woodstock side of Acworth. Near the intersection of Woodstock Road and Kellogg Creek Road.

Good asvce in the FS42 routes... 42 usually ends up being a rad on my tris up that way.

Heres what I putt around on
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice ride you have coming. I need to get me another thumper myself. It will do well on the fire roads and black top. Do you have any off-road experience?
I had a wr450 that I sold a few years back. It was a beast. I used to like to take it through the mud and rocks but now I'm getting too fragile for that stuff. I really want to do some exploring type of riding and have a bike that if needed can get over the things in the way :)
I Hope my wait is not that long before she is in the stable. Doing a lot of googling and it's hard to read all these stories of great riding.

dep411 screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 08:16 PM