ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #16
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Happy to help, as I first started riding this area 4-5 years ago and the guys here in the DOGS thread have helped me out accordingly.

I won't be revealing any secret stuff here...just the public forest roads.

For those towards the West, maybe the areas like Cohuttas are easier for you to get to...not as familiar with that area, but just go get lost on some forest roads starting in Chatsworth area...

For those headed towards the Suches area, I normally start at the Nimblewell Church area...and take a loop around FS 77, 42, 58, Fish Hatchery, etc. You can mix and match those roads for a lot of fun. Crossing 60 you can find a lot more stuff in Coopers Creek and Duncan Ridge and some gravel spits off 60 a little farther North. On the other side of the gap off 180 there are some other great similar gravel forest roads.

I use the National Geographic maps for those areas. http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_777.html These are great for motorcycling and other purposes. There are other less detailed maps floating around, but I start with these and then take a look at my GPS tools and tracks from there.

Watch that DOGs thread, show up for some rides or campouts. Be ready to take care of yourself responsibly (tools, decent gear, etc.) and also help others as needed. If you like small groups, you will find em there. If you like large groups, you will find em there. If you like to find just one or two people to ride with, you can find people there and PM them to get together. In general, I have found people here like to meet new people, go on rides with reasonably sized groups, and help each other find their groove. That's why we're here. Lurk a little, you will figure out who likes to hook up for rides and who doesn't and who rides fast and outlaw and and who doesn't...

Too bad it's gonna be 65 degrees this weekend and I invited my relatives to come visit, otherwise this would be a "let's ride" post.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
TerraNick23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
op here.

I live right next the interstate as well. Cherokee Street side. Next to the home depot in the apts. I have been riding around the area just finding little abandoned areas to have some fun in. Right off of hickory grove is a little field thats kinda fun to go mess around in. just FYI.

One thing I have been experiencing is that the Metzler Saharas that came on the bike are a little slick on anything other than dry.

If were gonna go do this trip up there, would it be wise to get some new tires? I imagine its pretty wet and rugged up in the mtns...
TerraNick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 790
Well sure, knobbies are "better", but for the basic forest roads, you can get by pretty well with dualsport tires in dry conditions. I am not familiar with the Saharas specifically, but the Anakees on my F800GS were just fine for good conditions. I do like running the TKCs much better now...

Example of a road from the area below. This is a relatively slow pace on one of the more groomed and smooth ones.

Some short areas of Duncan Ridge can get a little more rocky and muddy than most forest roads...but it's still pretty tame. One of my favorite roads. For higher on the adventure scale check out Flatlands Road.

Again, a pretty slow plod up this one...