Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
The low or high seat will pop right on any of them.
Fuel range is not an issue at 50 mpg.
Tenere is too heavy, has electronic complexity as well as water cooling to add to the complexity and is expensive.
The Uly is a simple machine and is easy to maintain and repair yourself. Do not take it to a shop. If you intend to have someone else work on your bike, do not get a Uly. Very few parts are hard to find. Anything you are likely to need is very available.
If you do decide on the Uly, make friends over at Badweatherbikers. Those people have all the answers to the questions you will have and be sure to get the factory service manual.

And what was that comment above about the idle being too high to go slow in first gear? The idle is adjustable and the gear ratio can be changed. I changed mine, have both seats and do my own work to the bike. I would not recommend this bike to someone that takes their bike to a shop for service.
I do most of the work on my bikes myself, and I do enjoy doing the maintenance. That being said, I'm far more interested in riding than wrenching. So if we're talking about maintenance, I'm fine with that. But if this is an abnormally high repair bike, then I'm not sure. My KTM EXC was high maintenance, primarily just oil changes, because that thing destroyed oil, but as a general rule it just didn't break, and I loved that bike. So what kind of work are we talking? I guess at this point, my other choices are primarily a BMW 1200 or 1150(if I could find one cheap enough), an HD big twin(probably Wide Glide or Street Bob), V-Strom, or maybe even a KLR650.
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,388
The Wee strom and S10 are the clear winners for low maintenance, the DL you have to lube the chain now and then, the S10 not - v a big price difference.

The others - more maintenance :).

While there are BMW's that get high miles, it's a lottery - generally they tend to be expensive to own and have more things fail than the japanese bikes.

Try to ride them first, even if it means renting for a day. Maybe one will speak to you, easy decision then.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #18
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I'll agree with panhead _dan, you can & should do the maintenance your self. It is very easy & there just isn't that much to do. I will disagree on the dealer remark. It just depends on the dealer. The Harley shop near me is great with Buells. A lot of enthusiasts work there. I've never had much of a wait when I've ordered parts either. A lot of dealers have to order your parts nowadays regardless of brand. It's sad but it is just a fact.

theoneandonlybrooks, you should fill out you stats. If you live close to me you can sure try my Uly if youd like.

Good Luck
Murf
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Go for it! I bought my 06 Uly with 67k miles on the clock. As others have said, it's easy to work on and a blast to ride.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
The Uly is a great swiss army bike, not great at any one thing, but overall is reliable and you can do just about anything with them. Maintenance is a breeze, change the oil(s), put plugs on every 10k and put tires on when you wear them out. Yes, the belt can be a headache (broke one last summer when the wife was along and I didn't have a spare), but carry an extra and know how to change it.

I love my '09- she's been good to me and certainly makes me smile everytime I ride it. I do look for the 'next' bike- really want shaft drive to get away from the belt deal, but Ulys can be had for next to nothing considering the alternatives, and what few spares you might want to carry (belts etc) are relatively cheap and easy to change.

Ride one. Let your smile decide.
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I have owned 7 bikes with belt drive. I am not easy on the throttle and have never broken a belt. I do change them at 20 to 30k but the original is always ok, just a few rock holes and such.
I bought an 08 last year and put 10k on it. so far so good.
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
The Wee strom and S10 are the clear winners for low maintenance, the DL you have to lube the chain now and then, the S10 not - v a big price difference.

The others - more maintenance :).

WAIT
You seem to have forgot the Buell. Far less maint than the above. Has anyone actually even seen an air filter on a Strom?

Try to ride them first, even if it means renting for a day. Maybe one will speak to you, easy decision then.

THIS is wisdom. Ride a Uly that has been set up for you. Oh wait, I forgot that none of the above have adjustable suspension. Uly does.

Pete

panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,488
The GS or GSA is a good fit for big guys. I'm 6'2" and the GSA I owned was at times too fucking big for me.

It had lots of adjustability between the seat and bars. I'm riding a new Stelvio now and the ergonomics are very similar but it is an inch or so lower.

These bikes are both good, long haul rigs that can be fun in the dirt too. The Guzzi isn't loaded down with all the electronic gizmos and it's even easier to service than the BMW. For less money, the VStrom isn't a bad choice either. It's a pretty roomy platform, the motor rips but the bike feels bargain basement compaired to the first two bikes I mentioned.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
divrnr
ROAD WARRIOR

I just bought my 06 Uly and love it, parts are easy to find, American sport bike and the internet. It had 10K on it so I bought a spare belt and the HD dealer did all of the recalls. Then I found a factory trained tech to work on it and he has an ECMSpy... I'm getting ready to take it on a 1000 mile trip in 2 weeks to see how reliable it really is. The tech is doing a 10K service next Saturday.

I am amazed how little maintenance it requires, no carbs to adjust and balance, no valves to shim, no chain to constantly tighten and lube, no water pump and hoses to check and buy guards for... I keep thinking I should do more to it but I don't have to!!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #25
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

I think I keep waiting for someone to give me the magic answer that will make something so obvious I can't argue with it. But it seems like the Ulysses is the bike. I love the motor in my Nightster, but I want a roomier mount that puts my feet back under me. Seems obvious I need a Ulysses. So now I just need to find one and make the trade.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #26
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlybrooks View Post
I think I keep waiting for someone to give me the magic answer that will make something so obvious I can't argue with it. But it seems like the Ulysses is the bike. I love the motor in my Nightster, but I want a roomier mount that puts my feet back under me. Seems obvious I need a Ulysses. So now I just need to find one and make the trade.
Find a nice Uly; you'll love it. Oh yea, remember it's not just the engine in your Nightster, it's the engine in your Nightster on Steroids.

The crankshaft problems mentioned in an earlier post in the thread seem to be confined to a small percentage of 2007 models and it happens at around 30k miles (DAMHIK). The 2006 models are often available at a steal. The 2008-up models have significant upgrades to the engine (larger crank pin, improved oiling system, improved fuel injection) and chassis (much tighter steering lock). Shop around, test ride one if you can. You won't go wrong.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
KS_Jetta
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I just returned from a road trip to pick up my 2006 Uly. It has all the factory luggage, an aftermarket exhaust and skid plate, and numerous other farkles. I re-started riding 4 years ago on a WeeStrom which was an incredible bike. Dead reliable, thousands of accessories available, decent fuel mileage. I sold it and bought a Heritage Softail which I love. It fits me well, I can do 800 mile days with no ill effects, and it gets almost 50 mpg on my 88 mile commute. It does not, however, have much ground clearance. I found myself researching upgrading the Heritage. Trophy? Multistrada? Explorer? Road Glide Ultra? For less money, I could buy a well put together Uly and keep the Heritage. I think I'll be quite happy with the 2 in my stable. Right now I'm looking out my window at snow and 35 mph wind, though, so I sit here with a new (to me) bike in the garage that I have not been able to ride since I purchased it. It's just not right!
1988 Chevrolet Silverado, POS, but good on the farm
2008 DL 650 Flat Black, well farkled
Middle of nowhere Central Kansas

I'm not an environmental activist - I'm an active environmentalist
KS_Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,377
As far as BMW's go, the 1150 is very low maintenance - yes, you have to adjust the valves and synch the TB's occasionally but that is a 1 hr job - I just do it every second oil change - everything is exposed and simple. Bleeding the ABS pump (if the bike has one) is a PITA the first time but it only has to be done every two years and with speedbleeders installed, that also takes about an hour. Mine hasn't been to the dealer since the 600 mile service.

I think a lot of the stories around BMW maintenance costs are related to dealer gouging and the over-complication of the newer bikes.

The Buell is the best Harley-based product ever made (and the only one I'd ever buy), but it is a quirky bike. It seems to be a love it or hate it thing. You should definitely ride one before buying. I'm waiting for the snow to melt to ride a friend's XT and see if I really do need one in the garage or whether I should get a KTM SM-T instead .

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #29
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

So I'm looking online for a Ulysses. I want to avoid an 07 because of the crank, right? But an 08 or later would be best for reliability? I read that the seat was shorter after 06, how is it on an 08?
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

I've found 2 06's, one with side bags, one with side bags and top bag, and an 08 with no bags but the side bag mounts. All 3 are between 13k and 16k miles. So from what I'm thinking, the 06's have the better seats, the 08 has all the other improvements. I would like the bags, at least the side bags. The bags they have are the factory hard cases. Price would likely be nearly identical. So what's the better buy. I don't know if I can come up with the cash for the bags with the baby on the way, but if the 08 is that much better, maybe I just strap a bag on the back for the trips. Any thoughts on which way to go?