User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #46
redwar2005
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ulysses belt to chain for me

I have an 06 Uly with 16,500 miles on it. The belt was frayed on the edges when it was new. Now the belt has alot of cracks in it and doesnt look so swell. Every ride I go on I am waiting for the inevitable belt failure in the middle of nowhere. Have just ordered everything I need for a self made chain conversion for about 220 dollars. After I install I am going to take off all that crappy black plastic on the rear swingarm. If you go to chain be sure to get the EBR chain rub. The stripped down motard look with the gold oring chain will be a welcome change.
redwar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #47
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I suggest you look at the posts by 996DL - he had a VStrom for years and spent a lot of time and money farkling it but eventually went for a Buell and is very happy that he did.

The 'Strom is a great entry level machine with a great engine but Suzuki saved money everywhere else.
Jeez, I'm famous, more likely infamous anyways...

Waaay too early, to know how well the 2010 Uly and I will get along, boughten days before winter arrived, late last fall.

Bluntly put (and I've only skimmed this newly discovered thread), I personally don't recommend any Buell (tuber or XB series), to anyone that isn't an experienced "motorhead type".

They're low production, quirky oddities and despite single body Fi, hydraulic lifters and belt drives yadda, yadda..., wash and wear bikes they're not. IMO

Get one, if you know exactly what they are and you have tools galore, enjoy factory manuals, the web's invaluable owner's forum's insights etc.

Don't get me started on VStroms...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #48
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Cycletlh, I have owned a bunch of bikes and sold my 10 Multistrada to buy an 08 Uly. The strada is an excellent bike but overkill for a normal rider, and maintenance expensive is very high compared to Buell. I have worked on bikes all my life but am intimidated at Ducati valve work.
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #49
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybueller View Post
Cycletlh, I have owned a bunch of bikes and sold my 10 Multistrada to buy an 08 Uly. The strada is an excellent bike but overkill for a normal rider, and maintenance expensive is very high compared to Buell. I have worked on bikes all my life but am intimidated at Ducati valve work.
How about posting a comparison? Pros/Cons of the two bikes. Would you make that trade again? Any regrets? I'm thinking of a Buell or a SMT but I have a friend who absolutely loves his MS12.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #50
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

My background is mostly HD and Buell so I am used to low maintenance good torque motors. Read about the MS and was smitten, waited 6 months for delivery.
The MS was an alternate to the 07 Roadglide that I had set up pretty well. Going between the 2 it was clear the RG was going to collect dust so I sold it.
Half the weight, 60% more power, better handling and brakes was too much of a difference.
I put 16k miles on the MS and loved every mile but Living in the west you can be many miles from a Duc shop on trips. Several computers, water cooling and not being well versed on Ducati got me thinking on trips that I would be SOL in Parumph Nevada with issues.
Bought the Uly, put a quick 5K miles on it and sold the Multi. Took a bit of a hit on the bike but I am now more comfortable ( mentally) on long rides.
To be clear the MS was the best machine I have ever owned, stupid fast and great handling but it begged to run in triple digits and as the CHP pointed out during my commute home one day " I can't believe you blew by me like that".
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #51
baybueller
Gnarly Adventurer

My rambling missed the question. I have not taken the MS or Buell in to heavy off road but they seem equal on light stuff. More at ease on the buell as there are not thousands of dollars of exposed parts to hurt.
On the road the strada has more potential as you can power out of turns and traction control covers overpowering. Braking is also better on the MS.
The MS is a more capable bike if you are good riding that fast( did I mention warp capable)? but the Buell works better for me.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #52
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlybrooks View Post
So it sounds like 08 with no bags is a better deal? It does, however have mounts for side bags, anybody have a good option for hard(lockable) bags? ?
KTM Gobi's are what you want. And keep an eye on the flea market. Always seeing HB's up for sale in there.

And just buy that damn thing...you know you want it.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #53
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
So it sounds like 08 with no bags is a better deal? It does, however have mounts for side bags, anybody have a good option for hard(lockable) bags? Also, the 08 has a taller windscreen, not sure what model.
Like hooliken said, get the Gobis. If you don't like 'em, I'll swap you my factory Journey cases*!

*terms and conditions may apply. offer not valid in Alaska or Hawaii.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #54
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
KTM Gobi's are what you want. And keep an eye on the flea market. Always seeing HB's up for sale in there.

And just buy that damn thing...you know you want it.
Any web sources to find them? Any idea how much someone should pay? Is there something wrong with hb?
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #55
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Any web sources to find them? Any idea how much someone should pay? Is there something wrong with hb?
Some new:

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...et-detail.html

http://www.amotostuff.com/category/hepco_becker.html

For used check the Flea Market here or the Classifieds on BadWeb.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #56
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Find them used once in awhile. Main difference being that the HB's are clam shell and Gobi's top loading. A lot will depend on what type of riding you do. The Gobi's are going to be a little more resilient offroad.

Shame you can't get the Caribou system with Pelicans anymore. I run pelicans with an SW-Motech set up on the SE. Have the HB's on the Buell and they are fine. Carefull with the latches/locks since they are a little fragile.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #57
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
One strange thing I've noticed when looking at them online, there seems to be a plethora of them with 16,000-18,000 miles. Just coincidence, or is there something that happens to these around these miles?
People like a new bike every couple years, I think.

I have 50k on my Ulysses and it is a sublime motorcycle. It sounds absolutely beastly, has a really nice suspension setup, is the most comfortable bike I've had the pleasure to ride, and is about as maintenance-free as you can get. To its credit, the fuel mapping and timing were ALL messed up and it's done fine on it; so the bike doesn't appear to be all that picky about its state-of-tune. I've since fixed all that and it's EVEN BETTER than when I got it, and I loved it then...

Another thing I love about it is that - at least in my experience - it's easy on tires if your right wrist is onboard with that idea. I have 9000 miles on my Pilot Road 2s and I expect one more good season out of them.

When I got it, it had the common fuel pump wiring problem, but honestly it was a pretty easy fix with some heat shrink tubing and getting some maintenance done (fuel filter and strainer) while everything was apart.

Luggage-wise, I opted for inexpensive; Happy-Trail rack with Caribou/Pelican 1550 cases and a DIY Trex decking mounting system. Haven't fallen off yet, and I'm not real careful with them!

I did 9000 on it last year all around Washington, Oregon and to/from Sturgis. This year I have a Seattle-Austin-Seattle trip planned in the spring for ROT Rally. Between me and my friend with a Uly who is also going to Texas, we're bringing a spare belt, the regular tools, and a couple extra quarts of oil for top-ups, but I have no worries about taking it on trips.

Buy it, love it :)
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #58
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
Between me and my friend with a Uly who is also going to Texas, we're bringing a spare belt, the regular tools, and a couple extra quarts of oil for top-ups, but I have no worries about taking it on trips.
I'd add an extra set of bearings. Always good to have those if they crap out and they neither cost much nor take up much room.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #59
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Is that suggestion based on the possibility of us running on old factory fail-prone bearings? We put in new All Balls sealed bearings in August a day before leaving for Sturgis, so I figured we'll be good.

The 2007's original bearings on the rear were SHOT when we pulled the wheel off; almost welded into the hub. That was an impulse "might as well get some on Amazon Prime" before we left last summer, and we're glad we did it.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #60
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
So now that more people have checked in, is the consensus still that buying an 08 with the lower seat and no bags is better than an 06 with the tall seat(which I'm thinking I want) and the bags? If the 08 is still the answer, any good place to find an 06 seat on the cheap?
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote