Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #61
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
I'm kinda biased but I think you ought to buy this one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=buell

Nice bike with lots of nice extras and I'd throw in a spare belt & rear bearing set.

I have Hepco Becker Junior bags on mine. Personally I like them better than the Journeys or the Gobis. They are side entry not clamshell & I think the look good on the Uly. They are big 40 liter sides & 45 liter topcase.

Good luck with your search. I think you'll like a Uly when you find the right one!

Murf
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #62
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
One other question... Is there any way to tell which 2007's are the bad ones, like by vin number or something?
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #63
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlybrooks View Post
One other question... Is there any way to tell which 2007's are the bad ones, like by vin number or something?

No, they are all over the place in production. Mine is a late model 07.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #64
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Did you have a failure?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #65
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
Is that suggestion based on the possibility of us running on old factory fail-prone bearings?
The suggestion is based on several factors:

1) The bearings are known to fail more frequently than most other components.

2) Finding replacements in the middle of nowhere can be a hassle.

3) If you have a spare set, almost any bike shop can put 'em in for you.

4) There was a fourth thing but I'm on my fourth IPA so I forget. Wait, maybe it's that they don't take up much space.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #66
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Found one with the Jardine exhaust on it. Any thoughts on that pipe? Is stock better?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #67
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
"One other question... Is there any way to tell which 2007's are the bad ones, like by vin number or something? "

There is a Thread on BW that list folks who have failed, and who havenet, and mileage. Some pikes are exceeding 100,000 miles and no issues, others are hitting 18,000 miles and failing. Whats not documented, that I can see is .
1. What kind of oil is being run in failing vs non failing bikes.
2. what kind of riding is being done, Ie.. is it spending alot of time up near 6,000 rpm, or is it being ridding on the 3-4 range.
4. Environment, is it a predominately hot climate where temperatures are up near or over 100 in the summer.
5. Any kind of tuning done on the bike.. etc..

I ride an 07 also, it has 23,450 miles (I've only had it for about 4,000 miles but know the guy who had it before).and its been trouble free mostly with the exception being a little tuning.But that crank is on my mind, but I love the bike so much Im willing to deal with it if it becomes an issue. There are plenty of 07's out there with mega miles on them.

As for the Jardine Exhaust in a later post.. I run a Drummer On mine, and Love it.. As with any exhaust, Typically the ECM will need to be tweaked / mapped a bit to get the most gain and factor of safety ( running lean etc). I would check to see if anything was done like that.

I wills ay, that with 37 years or so of riding, this is without a doubt one of the most fun, enjoyable bikes I have ever thrown a leg over.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #68
goodburbon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I've got a Uly. LOVE IT.

I came from a KLR, the difference in power, the stability on gravel...head and shoulders above the thumper.

Yes, you'll enjoy driving it short distances. You can cruise comfortably, or get a little froggy if you feel like it.

It's fun, throaty, torquey, solid, stable, reliable if you maintain it (no doohickeys or thingamabobs) , drinks less oil than the KLR I had, and goes well over the 80 mph that the KLR strained to get to.

It's also a LOT more power than my father's Road King, and WAAAY more comfortable over rougher roads.
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #69
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Just buy the Uly Brooks

All this agonizing and horse beating could be put to rest if you just get the Uly.
Most can be found at a price point that has hit close the bottom IMO. Unless its trashed or in need of lots of work, a decent bike doesn't go for much less.
If your handy at all the guys at badweatherbikers will keep you on the road.
Most know more than the dealership and a heck of a lot more friendly.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #70
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Found one with the Jardine exhaust on it. Any thoughts on that pipe? Is stock better?
The Jardine is "fine". My Uly came with one. I like the sound a little better than a Drummer; it does more of a "pop pop pop" than a steady drone like the Drummer does. No complaints about power. The Jardine is super-light.

The stock has advantages. It is a load-bearing jack point, and a bash plate to protect the engine pieces. Plus, you can send it off to K&D Fabrication and have it modified into a drummer, which is great. It sounds good, flows really well, and they refinish it for you complete with a SS tip so it looks fantastic. Plus you can have them retain the structural reinforcement so it continues to be a jack point.

The jack point thing is big for me; I have to take off my Jardine every time I put the bike on the jack. Adds about an hour to each job I have to lift the wheels off the ground for...
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #71
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
I personally have no experience with the Jardines and have never considered them due to how I use the Uly. Would rather have the protection and not have to remove exhaust to remove the wheels.

I have used the Special Op's and just put a Hawk Performance on. Odie's work on the Special Op's was excellent. Have another stock exhaust sitting in the shop waiting to ship to him when I free up the funds.

Had the Hawk ceramic coated for $40 and it looks and sounds amazing. Nothing bad to say about either one. Randy did a rush job for me over the holidays and was awesome to deal with.

Main difference between the Spec Op's and Hawk is that Odie retains the exhaust valve on the Spec Op's and Randy at Hawk does away with it. A simple click in ECMspy and you can deactivate the system.

The wheel bearings are not horribly expensive and not terrible to change. Add them in as part of normal maintenance and all should be good.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #72
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodburbon View Post
It's also a LOT more power than my father's Road King, and WAAAY more comfortable over rougher roads.
Having done some miles on a super nice '98 Road King (I wanted to buy one so I convinced a friend to let me have a few hundred miles), I've come to the conclusion that, for me, the Uly simply does more of everything (except look pretty) for about one-third the cost.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #73
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

I put a Hawk muffler on mine. Send it to Randy and he canisterectimizes
it for about $180. Also he re-flashed my ecm at no charge and shared interesting XB tips too. My Uly now makes a great expensive boat sound at idle and gets louder but not "that aughta be illegal" loud. Decent power gain too.
I opted for the better breathing but least amount of noise mod. Says he can make it a lot louder.

Get the Uly Brooks
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #74
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Did you have a failure?

Yep.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354049

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #75
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Just finished an afterwork decompression ride through the hills nearby.
Dialed in the suspension back to single rider with luggage. I adjusted it for two up touring months ago and never got around to changing it back.
What a difference. Much more compliant and holds a line well. The Uly suspension properly dialed in is one of the best stock handlers around.

chorizo screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 11:30 PM Reason: poor spelling