Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #16
Aidan1150
Call Me The Breeze

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary France View Post
Wherever I stopped, I enjoyed talking to the locals. America is amazingly diverse, with so many things to see and people to meet. Almost everywhere I went, people greeted me warmly and wanted to hear my story about travelling across their country. They were genuinely interested in understanding what an outsider thought about where they lived.

I would like to thank America. All of it and all of its people. As a nation you have some extraordinary qualities and Americans are a very special people. I was touched by your generosity, politeness and overwhelming friendship.
I found the same to be the case when I rode coast to coast in 2010 Gary. Like you I wandered around some, covering 6500 miles in four weeks. It is an amazing country populated by great people.

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.
Aidan1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
The book looks good but have you thought of a ebook version?
Spirit_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

Oddometer: 17
Aidan1150 - I reckon you were therefore doing about 230 miles a day average, which is slightly more than me. I found daily mileages to be a balance between wanting to keep riding and wanting to stop and take pictures / meet people / see things. Mainly sticking to back roads, I found it difficult to get any more than about 200 miles a day in. Sure, I could have done more, but that would have been at the risk of failing to see what America is really like. 6500 miles in 4 weeks sounds about right to me!
Gary France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

Spirit rider - I am looking at that very thing at the moment. I am old-fashioned when it comes to books in that I like to hold a real book and turn its pages. I totally accept there are people that like ebooks but I wonder how well mine will work, with some many pictures? I previously thought ebooks were mainly for text, but I imagine things have moved on now.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #20
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

USA Road Trip Book

Just thought some may be interested - A short while ago, I launched my book about this amazing ride. Full colour, crammed full of pictures, includes maps of the route I took, organised state-by-state, and coffee table sized, this 400-page book will appeal to many thinking of doing the same sort of trip.

Click on the link beneath my signature for details.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Spirit rider - I am looking at that very thing at the moment. I am old-fashioned when it comes to books in that I like to hold a real book and turn its pages. I totally accept there are people that like ebooks but I wonder how well mine will work, with some many pictures? I previously thought ebooks were mainly for text, but I imagine things have moved on now.
+1...Although I'm a big fan of ebooks for text-based content like news and novels...I much prefer print for publications that effectively use photographs as an integral component.

Congratulations on your journey across America. The Southwest is one of my favorite places for motorcycling. I'll be headed that way in June for a multi-state ride up the Rockies.

BTW, I took a motorcycle to the UK for a three-year work assignment. Lived in Nottingham and greatly enjoyed exploring the Peak District on the weekends.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Very nice journey!
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
KLRoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Well Gary I think you are going to have to do a part two on this ride. You still have way to much to see to stop now. You missed the pacific north west and the south. What about Alaska? And how can you say you've seen America when you missed Texas altogether? It's spring time so come on back and meet the rest of us.

One question though; do Europeans fear for their safety in the USA? If so why?
2006 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide * 2003 Indian Scout
What, me worry? Alfred E. Newman
KLRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #24
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

CharlestonADV – The Southwest was one of my favourite areas of the USA to ride in. California, Utah, Arizona and Nevada have such great roads and scenery, it is motorcycling heaven! I wish you well for your June ride in the Rockies. A question for you – you say you took a motorcycle to the UK. Was that an American registered bike with a US licence plate? If so, how did you get on with the Police here> Ever get stopped with that plate?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

KLRoger – I am afraid you have touched a nerve there. You are so right about part 2, as I would love to be able to complete the map and say that I have ridden in every state. Alas, I have no plans currently for a part 2, but one day.....

I am however going to be able to cross a few more states off later this year, as I am riding from Daytona in Florida to Galveston in Texas. So, I will have covered the great state of Texas, or at least a pat of it!

As to your question about Europeans fearing for their safety in the USA. I have real mixed views about this. Before my long journey through America, I gave this a lot of thought. We hear so many news stories about mass-shootings and general gun crime in America that of course, it plays on your mind. It didn’t put me off riding a motorcycle across America at all, but I did worry about it a little before I started. During the trip, I hardly gave it a moment’s thought. I was staying in motels most nights and if I had been camping I probably would have thought about it more. I experienced absolutely no trouble of any kind on my trip and found that away from the big cities, the people were generally all very friendly and welcoming, to the point that I was very relaxed indeed. In the big cities I was much more careful of where I went and was deliberately more aware of my surroundings, but I do that in my own city of London.

Overall, I didn’t fear for my safety and that would never put me off travelling around America. As an Englishman, I tread very carefully about the current US gun law debate, for I can see it is a complex issue for America. I live in a country where most forms of guns are not allowed (except shotguns for hunting) and shooting incidents are rare. Am I happy about travelling around a country like America with such widespread gun ownership? Yes, I am, but it is only natural to worry about what could happen. I found the key was simply to be careful and not to get into any situations that could lead to confrontation. Having said that though, it is exactly the same approach I take when travelling anywhere in the world, so America is really not a lot different to most places in that respect.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #26
kreattur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hey !

This thread looks amazing ! I'm actually planning a very similar trip in the US (4 to 6 months), so I'll follow your story carefully :) (and have a look to your book...)
Thanks for sharing !

cheers
kreattur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #27
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

How did you get on?

kreattur, how did you get on planning your own trip?

Gary
Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #28
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Alas, I have no plans currently for a part 2, but one day...
Planning is critical. If you don't have a plan, you can't deviate from it.

Absolutely - you missed the Pacific Northwest and the Southeast/Appalachains entirely. There are still immense regional differences, but these are rapidly disappearing as mass media homogenizes the country.

Oddly, I'm seeing a reverse trend in Europe as regional identities and languages are re-emerging - especially in the Alpine regions.

Glad that you enjoyed your ride. One needs to spend a significant amount of time in another culture to be able to get below the surface gloss/stereotypes and appreciate it.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #29
Montana Maniac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Amazing pictures so far!!!
Montana Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #30
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Gary,
I'm not sure how I missed the beginning of your adventure here in the US. You for sure covered some of the best of the US for sure. As for being able to cover everything to be marveled at, just is not going to happen. I've been roaming this country pretty heavy for the last 20 years by motorcycle and have not put a big dent in all the things I want to experience. I still plan on getting to a few places I have not been to yet but, sadly, it will probably be in my truck due to injuries and mainly, as getting older, less tolerant to the extremes of heat and cold. Probably have the KLR on the back bumper though. ;-)

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote