Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Question Unreasonable Expectations: Trail AND Long-Haul Capable

Hi All,

If there's already a thread asking this, please feel free to redirect (but I couldn't find one).

After owning a DR350S for a month now I'm getting a feel for what I want in a Dualsport/Adventure bike. I'm hoping I can solicit advice from everyone here on what bikes I should try next.

My intended uses: Segments of the CDT and other extended (3-7 day) rides that include dirt, gravel, and pavement. I live in the front range of Colorado, so if there's a trail network I want to explore for the weekend on the western slope, I don't want to have to trailer my bike out there. I'm a light packer, so I don't need weighty hard bags. By light I mean 35 lbs of: food, water, water purifier, personal items, tent, sleeping bag, ground pad, and cook stove for a 5 day trek. I know tools and riding gear add a bit to that. To a lesser extent, I also want to do a bit of intermediate trail riding close to home (I'm thinking easy and intermediate OHV trails and single track). I'm hoping for a middleweight bike that can take being loaded down with gear and taken on extended journeys, then take the saddlebags off, possibly swap on some knobbies and it handles well on abusive trail ride.

I'd like an older bike for simplicity, pricetag, and the fact that I won't cry when (not if) I drop it. I'm hoping <$2.5k price tag,

I like the weight of my DR350S (310lbs wet) and the handling, but the lack of tachometer, speedo, and high beam are a big issue. I know I can add accessories and mod the hell out of a bike, but if there's a bike that fits the bill and already has the accessories I need - winner winner chicken dinner.

Kawa KLR 650 is definitely on my list to try, but I'm wondering if there's anything lighter... say, 350lbs ballpark wet? After all, the title of this post is Unreasonable Expectations. I know that longer hauls usually mean bigger gas tanks, and bigger gas tanks mean more wet weight. But humor me.

OH, this may go without saying, but it must be 4-stroke. Not that I'm lazy, I just can't bring myself to burn crude.

Thanks so much!

KonaTheHusky screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 10:29 AM
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
XR650R

360 pounds in that picture, full of fuel, gear and food for a week.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Well, even with a 1st gen KLR you won't get anywhere near 350lbs wet. Let's be clear: I love my Pig ('02 KLR650), but light it ain't. I have no trouble picking it up, but then again, I travel light.

The XR650L is listed at 346lbs wet, but only carries 2.8 gals of fuel. Upgrade to a lighter, but bigger plastic tank, and you have some added range. I have ZERO experience with the XRL, but were I to buy one it would get an aftermarket oil cooler just for giggles. I know that folks who have owned them will most likely say they aren't necessary, but again I was just stating a personal preference.

Not sure about the curb weight of a DR650 (I am seeing 355-360ish on the interweb), but it is an equally bulletproof bike as the XRL or KLR. I have an air cooled 82 GS1100EZ with more than 80K original miles. Suzuki knows how to make a bulletproof oil/air cooled engine.

New Husky TR650? Seems like a fantastic bike!! It would be on the very short list to replace the Pig if/when that becomes necessary.

DRZ400S should be on your list as well, in addition to any of the Husky TE series (about which I know nothing)

Good luck!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Tom_C
probably wrecked

Oddometer: 108
XR650L (and I've lookd at everything for the last year). Was going to go with a KTM ADV, but couldn't justify the weight or the price for how much I woudl get to ride. (Price wasn't a concern, although my wife would say I am a cheap so and so)

I just picked up a '95 with 5k original miles for $1700. For about $500 I can have it looking just like a new one, and they haven't changed (hardly) since '93. Air cooled, bulletproof, and easy to maintain. Cons would include heavy at #350lbs stock, down on power stock (easy mods to wake them up, I'm told, and in the middle of myself) and braking is a little weak on road.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I know everybody will have a suggestion for you, so I'll throw mine in the mix. It doesn't meet all your criteria, but it's kinda close. Yamaha WR250R.

It's light-ish. Plenty of power for intermediate trail riding. Enough power to run up I-70 to the mountains in a pinch (not real fun, but I've done it a few times). Very reliable, even though its a fancy-schmansy new bike with fuel injection, etc. Plenty of aftermarket products to farkle it up with. Since it's small displacement your tires/drivetrain last longer. Can be easily set up light for trail riding, or with bags for long distance stuff. It's not real cheap - Usually $3500-$4500 used. You will probably not like it if you're an adrenaline junky and love bombing stuff at high speed, or slabbing at 85mph to get where you're going. It's more of a take it easy, cruise at 50-60mph and smell the roses kind of bike that will go just about anywhere you'd ever want to go (aside from super-hardcore single track). It's light enough I can lay it all the way over to the ground and still maintain control of it. It's not such a big bike that when it starts to tip you yell "timber!" and dive away from it. Great gas mileage (~70mpg), pretty decent headlight, plenty of stator power for electrical toys. Just read www.bigdogadventures.com ride reports and you'll see it's quite a capable little bike.

FWIW I would stay away from the KLR 650...that's the bike I sold to buy the WR250R because the WR250R does everything the KLR doesn't.

Now...if you want a bigger motor, I think larryboy is spot-on with the XR650R suggestion...

What about a DRZ400? it's a pretty diverse bike...

A few pictures of my WR250R:

Up above St. Mary's glacier:

Mill Creek Road above Vail, CO:

Loaded up heavy for a trip from Denver-Phoenix:

Just north of Avon/Beaver Creek, CO:

On the road to Rollins Pass, CO:

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Nice bike Luke, but I doubt he can find one in the $2500 range yet.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
I like the weight of my DR350S (310lbs wet) and the handling, but the lack of tachometer, speedo, and high beam are a big issue.
? My '91 DR350S had high beam, speedo, tach, turnsignals etc. Was yours in a wreck or mucked with?
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Very Nice bike Luke - but after a quick search, Larryboy was right: not in the $2500 range.

I did, however, come across this little guy: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3651573686.html

My sister lives in the Butte, so I don't exactly need an excuse to go up there.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
? My '91 DR350S had high beam, speedo, tach, turnsignals etc. Was yours in a wreck or mucked with?
Most likely mucked with, no signs of significant wreck or I wouldn't have bought her. I only have a trip odometer - not too helpful.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
You're right, they are a bit out of his budget. It was about $1200 over budget for me when I first started looking at them a few years ago, but I'm glad I saved a few extra pennies and shopped Craigslist incessantly for a few months and found one cheap enough to afford (I paid $3200 for mine). Looking forward to hearing what you decide on Kona!

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
You're right, they are a bit out of his budget. It was about $1200 over budget for me when I first started looking at them a few years ago, but I'm glad I saved a few extra pennies and shopped Craigslist incessantly for a few months and found one cheap enough to afford (I paid $3200 for mine). Looking forward to hearing what you decide on Kona!
Thanks Luke! I appreciate your input. And once I'm situated with a ride I'll ping you about riding in the area. Cheers!

P.S. if anyone is looking to pick up a 91 DR350S, I need to finance a bigger ride.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Very Nice bike Luke - but after a quick search, Larryboy was right: not in the $2500 range.

I did, however, come across this little guy: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3651573686.html

My sister lives in the Butte, so I don't exactly need an excuse to go up there.

The price is right on that one. They need additional cooling on that engine, I'd budget for a big fin install and a top end rebuild...probably still under your 2.5k budget. Try to get that one for $800 max.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
The easiest answer is to get the high beam, tacho and speedo for your DR350 and rock on. You already like the bike, and you're looking at 2-400 dollars worth of parts.
Being in Colorado the best answer is to get a 400-650 dirt bike (WR400-450F, KTM400-530, XR400-600-650R) and plate it. I liked the XR600 a lot. The only problem is that the newest one out there is 13 years old, so finding one that's not trashed can be tough.
You're right to stay far away from the KLR. It's a bike that sacrifices every measure of performance for cost and reliability, and then doesn't always deliver on the reliability.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Use current bike, it seems like very small issues with that one, and you know the history of the bike.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
larryboy
Chopper Rider

This is it, right here. Dude is solid and doesn't own junk:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868328