Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Here's a long term CA report on an XRR, good guy too:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690

Same guy on the divide with the XRR:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811067
Roughly how much $$ did it cost you to go from the stock XR650R to your current setup? Trying to get a handle on what value to place on a bike that's already been gone through (in this case, for something like the Best in Desert Races).
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #62
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
My xrr on 3rd day of combo hwy-4x4 road trip .Only other bike I would consider would be the Husky 610/630 becuase of the wide ratio 6 speed
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #63
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
My xrr on 3rd day of combo hwy-4x4 road trip .Only other bike I would consider would be the Husky 610/630 becuase of the wide ratio 6 speed
Yeaaaaa buddy!

I'm going to look at an XRR today after work. I feel like a kid before Christmas. http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3668902112.html
My budget is around $3k (but I'd revise that if this thing delivers), maybe he'll be generous in allowing me to negotiate.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #64
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
From my experiences on dual sport bikes, or bikes that can be ridden off road as well as the pavement, there's only about three bikes that will do the job that will give you all this, low cost of ownership , easily done repairs, parts available (new and used), easy to sell used, low insurance rates, and very dependable. The KLR 650 (my favorite), the DR 650, and the DRZ 400S, that's my short list. Why the KLR, because it comes with a windshield, large fuel tank, and a luggage rack to start with, the others these things will be needed to be added, but if buying used, you can most likely find one with some of the farkles already on these bikes. Having owned all three of these bikes, all have their advantages and disadvantages, this is where you need to pick one for your riding needs. I have ridden the Telluride area several times on KLR 650's and the bike does ok at 11,000 feet, but you will loose about 25% power, but the bike still runs and pulls. Today I am riding the new Honda CRF250L and a 2006 KLR 650, I enjoy both bikes and would take either one on your type of riding adventures.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #65
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
My do-it-all bike of choice is the XR650R. I've got an 03 and an 05. The 05 I built into an adventure bike and rode it 13k km around Central America. It worked great and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to take again. The 03 works great for exploring backroads and trails around here. It's perfect for 3 or 4 day adventures. And it works on what ever single track I feel like taking it on.

If you read a few ride reports on here you soon see that you can take any bike anywhere. Just find a bike you like to start with and build it into exactly what you want.

Brian
ODSC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #66
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Bought a Bike

Test rode a couple XR650R's, an XR600R, a DR650, a KTM SXC, and a DRZ400. It was a fun weekend.

Ended up going with a titled XRR that's got a few aftermarket bits on it including baja designs dual sport kit, big gun exhaust, aero tapered bars, XRs only sub-framsand a few others. I'm the third owner. 2,100 miles put on it since the Baja Kit, I'm told around the same were put on it before the kit.

Love the way this bike feels.

I'm gunna clean the carb out, give attention to any other things that need serviced, and get to work finding an over-sized tank, a comfy seat, and a pannier rack system. If anyone has these parts that they're looking to get rid of, PM me - otherwise I'll be on XR's Only and Ebay soon.

I want to thank everyone for their input and advice on finding the right bike for me. I couldn't be more excited.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #67
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Hey out of curiosity, does that Baja Designs speedo run off a cable or is it electric?

I would love to get an analog odo for my dualsport.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #68
KonaTheHusky OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
Hey out of curiosity, does that Baja Designs speedo run off a cable or is it electric?

I would love to get an analog odo for my dualsport.
This one's cable. Don't know a lot about the kit yet, but that much is evident.