User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
ODogs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
G650GS won't start

My son's low mileage '10 G650GS has been in the garage since October . I've been starting it every 2-3 weeks without issue and letting it run for 5-10 minutes. This morning it cranked, but wouldn't fire. It does have gas.
Any thoughts why out-of-the-blue it wouldn't start?

Thanks
btw, apologies if I posted in the wrong sub-forum. Just direct me please.
ODogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
You made sure the kickstand was up, right?
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
ODogs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
You made sure the kickstand was up, right?
Yes, the bike is up on the center stand. (thank god, cause that would have been an embarrassment :) Basically the same spot it's been for 5 months.

Other ideas?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Nickcamera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
is it in Neutral?
also, maybe the battery went dead? I don't think letting it run for just a minutes at a time is enough time to juice it up.
Nickcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogs View Post
Yes, the bike is up on the center stand. (thank god, cause that would have been an embarrassment :) Basically the same spot it's been for 5 months.

Other ideas?
Haha I've done it
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,275
5-10 min at idle is not enough to warm the oil and evaporate water, just FYI.
You need to run it a bit longer, or drive around a little.

If you have a stock battery, it could be dead. Mine did that. I bought a new one at Autozone, Extreme Magna 220 CCA, and I have not touched the battery for the past three years - no charger at all. Bike sits 3-4 months each winter, and cranks like new. I just started mine last week.

Check for connection in your killswitch, and rock it back and forth a few times. Could have oxidized just sitting in a damp garage. Same for the starter switch. Mine did that after I rode through water up to handlebars and was very finicky when it worked. A little cleaning did the trick.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
ODogs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickcamera View Post
is it in Neutral?
also, maybe the battery went dead? I don't think letting it run for just a minutes at a time is enough time to juice it up.
It was cranking over like crazy -just not starting. The neutral light is on, toggled the kill switch a couple of times, still just cranking without starting.
As I mentioned earlier, this is out-of-the-blue. It's been starting all winter every couple of weeks. Now this time, nada. Just turns over, fairly fast, just won't catch.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
jigmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
you said it cranked....don't know why people are focusing on battery.

probably flooded. crank with throttle wide open maybe?

is there a fuel petcock? make sure that's on of course.

or maybe it's not cranking fast enough to get going....you could jump it with cables off a car battery to check that.
jigmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Don't touch the throttle while cranking. Turn the key on, wait for the lights to cycle and ONLY push the starter button.

Possibly gas gone bad? These usually run on about anything though.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigmoore View Post
you said it cranked....don't know why people are focusing on battery.

probably flooded. crank with throttle wide open maybe?

is there a fuel petcock? make sure that's on of course.

or maybe it's not cranking fast enough to get going....you could jump it with cables off a car battery to check that.
Battery because: The EFI needs a certain charge to actually work. Just because it cranks doesn't mean it has enough juice. Even old Hondas with carbs had that issue.

Petcock - no, its EFI

Open throttle - NO! The ECU checks throttle position at start, and assumes that is the idle position. Even with 1/8 throttle open, the ECU will screw things up, causing the bike to stall later on, when you let go off the gas, and the whole thing starts again.

If it cranks well,. and you have enough juice in the battery, check your fuses. Do you hear the fuel pump pressurize when you toggle the killswitch?

Proper procedure is to turn the key on, wait until; all the flashing lights stop flashing (except the ABS), hit starter without touching throttle.

Did you condition your fuel with stabilizer? If not, the pump could suck in water as ethanol separates from fuel. Water being heavier, would go closer to pump intake.

Check the usual - spark, fuel, air. Since you haven't touched it in a while, you could have mice in your airbox, clogged fuel line (unlikely), bad gas, or corroded connection somewhere.

Just grab a spare sparkplug, plug it in and push it against case to see if you have spark. If so, proceed to check the next thing.

If you have both fuel pressure and spark, you can spray some starter fluid in your snorkle.

I would also wiggle the shifter a few times, just in case the neutral switch is not fully engaged.

More likely than not, it's something really simple.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
ODogs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogs View Post
My son's low mileage '10 G650GS has been in the garage since October . I've been starting it every 2-3 weeks without issue and letting it run for 5-10 minutes. This morning it cranked, but wouldn't fire. It does have gas.
Any thoughts why out-of-the-blue it wouldn't start?

Thanks
btw, apologies if I posted in the wrong sub-forum. Just direct me please.
OK Problem solved! After cranking it over quite a few times, the battery was starting to go down. I eventually had to put it on the battery tender for a couple hours. Once it read 13.7v with the VM it started right up. My conclusion is that it was slightly low to begin with, maybe 10-11 volts; enough to turn it over -for what seemed to be fast enough, but not enough for the ECU to be happy with.
It's a bit puzzling the ECU would 'require' full voltage (or nearly) in order to start. If I was traveling and had a low battery after, maybe a very cold night camping, I would hope it would start -if it turned over fairly quickly.

Thank you to everyone that provided help. This forum is great. Now, if it would only stop snowing and warm up enough to ride!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
On the BMW twins (probably the thumper also) the computer intentionally runs the injectors at a reduced voltage ... so if the battery was only at (say) 11, then the injectors might only be getting 9.5V which is not enough to fully actuate them ...

One of the resident experts here Joel Wisman clued us in to that "feature"
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
as a previous poster said, you need to ride it, not idle it- idling it is worse than not starting it. Moisture does not get heated out of the oil and the battery only gets lower. Get a battery tender tm. They need the voltage for the BMS as you now know.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

I don;t know if yours has the BMW accessory plug on the right side of the frame. Mine (an 09) does. The stealerships sell a charger plug that plugs right in there for "trickle charge" only. You cannot run a full blown charger through it, but you can set it at low amp charge. This way, there is no need to remove the panels to access the battery.

Or, just ditch the stock crappy one, and buy yourself a decent AGM with very low self-discharge rate.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
muratokay
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Eh? cold start issue

Hello everyone,
It has been a month since I bought my new Sertao and I've been using it without any problems so far.
Today when I wanted to start it, it cranked, fired a bit but could not stabilize itself on the idle. I had to open the throttle to get the engine going and when I released the throttle the engine dies straight away. I mean it is like the engine can not stabilize itself on the idle if I don't open the throttle. The weather was not so cold as it was like 20 C outside.

So I ran the engine by opening the throttle a little for about a minute or two and let it die afterwards. Then I tried to start it again without opening the throttle and this time it worked as it should.
This is my first big bike, I had a Yamaha WR125R before and never had problems with starting. It feels bad when you experience something like this with a BMW bike.
What could be the reason and most importantly can it cause any problems to me in the future?
muratokay is offline   Reply With Quote