ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
RuggedExposure OP
Now with more rugged
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,242
Border Road - El Paso to San Diego

Due to cold inclement weather, Bulittman281 and I have nixed our trip north, following the Rio Grande. We also considered riding the Continental Divide Trail as many others do, but it is also too early in the year for that.

So in just over a week, we are going to attempt to ride the border road all the way from El Paso, TX to San Diego, CA.
In various spots through AZ there really is no 'border road' because of the rough terrain, so we will follow the border as close as possible on the nearest trails, ranch roads or county roads through that area.

Assuming we have good weather (it is the windy season right now), our biggest concern will be fuel. We will each be carrying an extra gallon of gas with us, hopefully that will be enough.

We're expecting it to take at least 4 days to get to San Diego then 2 days back. (Also assuming we make it that far).

There will be minimum planning for this adventure.
Because that's what makes it fun.
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth
RE Fotowerks
Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,992
I understand you need a permit to ride one of the roads in western Arizona. Haven't done, but some friends did it last winter and really enjoyed it.

Don't know off the top of my head exactly where this segment was.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I understand you need a permit to ride one of the roads in western Arizona. Haven't done, but some friends did it last winter and really enjoyed it.

Don't know off the top of my head exactly where this segment was.
Maybe the military reservation - muchas hectares.
I've never been on it myself.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
RuggedExposure OP
Now with more rugged
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,242
I think it may be the Tohono O'odham Reservation that charges for entry.

The border and 60 feet north are Federal property and no one can deny you entry, not even the government.
Unfortunately in many areas of AZ there is no 'border road' due to terrain.
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth
RE Fotowerks
Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,997
Cool concept!!!
Very interested to hear to the most south accessible route is.

The issue is access through Barry Goldwater Air Force Range & access to El Camino del Diablo (The Devil's Road).
You'll need to contact them on that issue.

Like others have said, in places there is no road right along the border in places.
That is a bombing range and that might not be the best place to ride.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_M...ir_Force_Range
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I think it may be the Tohono O'odham Reservation that charges for entry.

The border and 60 feet north are Federal property and no one can deny you entry, not even the government.
Unfortunately in many areas of AZ there is no 'border road' due to terrain.
Oh yeah?

So even if that is a military bombing range extends down to the border, that 60' is still open to all?

Where can we read that 60' is open no matter what and neither the gov. nor private land owners can deny you access? I sure have been denied to other federal land in many places.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
RuggedExposure OP
Now with more rugged
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Oh yeah?

So even if that is a military bombing range extends down to the border, that 60' is still open to all?

Where can we read that 60' is open no matter what and neither the gov. nor private land owners can deny you access? I sure have been denied to other federal land in many places.

I'll check into exactly where it says the 60' easement is open to all.

But trust me, I work in that 60' easement everyday, and if anyone were to stop you from travelling through it, it would be me. hint hint.
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth
RE Fotowerks
Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
el tortuga
Studly Adventurer
 
el tortuga's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: at a desk
Oddometer: 584
I spoke with BP agent near Columbus about the road conditions to Antelope Wells and he was pretty sure it could be done. According to him, the first "corner" of the boot heel was a little difficult but he was thinking a dirt bike could do it. From Antelope Wells to Douglas, I'm not sure about and you may have to go north to Geronimo Trail rd.

Gas will be your biggest concern. There is nothing from Columbus to Douglas unless you detour north to Animas.

From the rumor mill, I've heard stories of the BP throwing nails in sections to discourage illegal traffic.

I'd sure like to see a ride report on this though, because I've been itching to do some portions. good luck.
__________________



The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
el tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
RuggedExposure OP
Now with more rugged
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by el tortuga View Post
I spoke with BP agent near Columbus about the road conditions to Antelope Wells and he was pretty sure it could be done. According to him, the first "corner" of the boot heel was a little difficult but he was thinking a dirt bike could do it. From Antelope Wells to Douglas, I'm not sure about and you may have to go north to Geronimo Trail rd.

Gas will be your biggest concern. There is nothing from Columbus to Douglas unless you detour north to Animas.

From the rumor mill, I've heard stories of the BP throwing nails in sections to discourage illegal traffic.

I'd sure like to see a ride report on this though, because I've been itching to do some portions. good luck.

Already done that stretch http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690153
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth
RE Fotowerks
Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
el tortuga
Studly Adventurer
 
el tortuga's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: at a desk
Oddometer: 584
Cool!

I see the Pink Store!



lol
__________________



The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
el tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
HeyWhatever
HTFU !
 
HeyWhatever's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Here, Now
Oddometer: 243
Unless you personally know people on any given Native American reservation land I wouldn't pass off a paved road on a rez unless you check in with tribal government... Just what I know from four years of working for Native American governments.

I had to escort some feds onto some of our newly acquired tribal land... one of the more well armed traditionalists was scaring the bejeesus out of people up there.

What may apply on federal land will not get an automatic pass on Indian land, since if they are federally recognized they usually will have their own set of laws and the jurisdiction to enforce them.
__________________
Piglet: Because Hogs Are For Old Farts!
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #12
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Ha!

I was looking for the thread so I could post a link and tell you someone had done something similar a while back.

Didn't realize it was you.

Looking forward to the ride.

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,992
It is the Camino Diablo road that Eakins mentioned that you need a permit for.

If you are willing to deviate from right on the border, there is a fun road heading northeast from Columbus that loops back to El Paso. It is probably 20 miles north of the border.

Some of it is very challenging due to sand, lava rocks, cactus, and mesquite bushes.

As long as you are doing the border, seems like you might want to continue down to Big Bend if you have the time. There is a great ~60 mile dirt road called something like Chrispa rd that you pick up south of Van Horn and take to Candelaria.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
RuggedExposure OP
Now with more rugged
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
It is the Camino Diablo road that Eakins mentioned that you need a permit for.

If you are willing to deviate from right on the border, there is a fun road heading northeast from Columbus that loops back to El Paso. It is probably 20 miles north of the border.

Some of it is very challenging due to sand, lava rocks, cactus, and mesquite bushes.

As long as you are doing the border, seems like you might want to continue down to Big Bend if you have the time. There is a great ~60 mile dirt road called something like Chrispa rd that you pick up south of Van Horn and take to Candelaria.
We're actually going to start from El Paso and head west to SD.
That road you speak of is the POL Ranch road, there are different routes you can take, but it will lead you by POL Ranch (Pancho Villa grazed his cattle there), Indian Basin, and Kilbourne Hole (An awesome caldera-like structure).

I'll check out more info on the Camino Diablo. Thanks.
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth
RE Fotowerks
Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
kobukan
almost gnarly
 
kobukan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Saco ME
Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
. . . There is a great ~60 mile dirt road called something like Chrispa rd that you pick up south of Van Horn and take to Candelaria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
. . . That road you speak of is the POL Ranch road, there are different routes you can take, but it will lead you by POL Ranch (Pancho Villa grazed his cattle there), Indian Basin, and Kilbourne Hole (An awesome caldera-like structure).
I've done a lot of riding in southeast AZ in the past year and there are some nice roads near the border here, but I think in many places there are better dirt routes that are not far from the border. As somebody already mentioned, fuel will be an issue in some areas depending on your route. I haven't ridden it yet, but I think your best bet in the western section might just be Camino del Diablo.

Do either of you guys know if there's a passable route along the border from El Paso that links up with the Chisa route?
I'm planning to head over to Big Bend from Southeast AZ at some point and would like to go through there if possible, but I haven't been able to get any good info on that section.
__________________
'04 R1150GS, '97 R1100GS, '99 DR350, '02 DR650, '03 DR650
A Few Days Solo to Copper Canyon
A Maine Rider’s Arizona Day Trips
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014