User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Just Picked up an 09 KTM 530XC-W to Dual Sport. What next? Pics inside

So I just picked up this 09 KTM 530XC-W and have already orderd up a Dual Sport kit from Dale at Trick Dual Sport (He made my last one for my 04 CRF 450R). Being a big guy I have already put on some Fastway's in the Lowboy position and put on some 2" Rox Risers to get my bars up and forward a bit. I have also purchased an EE Seat but after reading some of the threads I am seeing that I maybe should have gone the Seat Concepts route or maybe even a Renzaco but my main objective on this bike is Dirt and not street. Also the seller of this bike also gave me 2 extra Acerbis tanks. One of them a Dry break 3.4 gallon tank and another 6.3 gallon tank. Here is a picture of what I have so far..

I saw a few places where you can turn you dry break into a regular cap but not sure if I want to even use that tank. Figured I might as well go with the 6.3 for extra range. Also the 6.3 is a double petcock but figured I might just cap off the right side and tilt the bike to the side if I need more fuel? Is that stupid?

Like I stated the main purpose for this bike will be dirt but sometimes getting to where I want to ride I may have 30-50miles of Slab so I want to make this bike as road worthy as possible without having to sacrifice being better in the dirt. I have been reading like crazy on the Big 530 thread but seems like I am looking for some specific info that I haven't seen.

I am looking for ideas on how to outfit my XC-W for Dual Sport. Mostly day tripping but it would be sweet to be able to set it up to be able to do a few overnighters also. Suggestions for Tank bag (looking at the Wolfman Enduro), Rear and Front Fender packs (Thinking maybe Wolfman rollie), Do I need to put on a Radiator fan? It get's well into the 100's in the Summers where I live in Southern Utah. Any other Suggestions. I already have a Garmin Montana 650 that I will be adding for navigation that should be sweet. Any other ideas to make this bike into a great Dual Sport would be greatly appreciated.

This is a big difference from the 3 BMW GSA's I have owned in the past. Wish I still had one but I never really loved any one of them off road. The GSA was the best Street bike I have ever owned and I have had a bunch but for some reason that thing was a handfull off road. I hope to in the next couple of years to buy a used KTM 990 but that's just a pipe dream at the moment.. For now its a little thumper that I will have to get my grins from..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
I'd say get the cap kit for the 3.4g, and use that as your primary tank while keeping the big one for the big range rides. I've got the stock tank, 3.1 Clarke and 6.6 Acerbis, and haven't used the stock one in a couple of years. 3.1 or 3.4 is easily enough gas for 120 to 150 miles without weighing a ton. The big tank should be good for 230-270 miles.

Trying to cap the right side and tip the bike for more gas will probably seem stupid the first time you actually try it. You'll have about 1.5 or 2 gallons trapped over there which can throw the bike balance off as the left side empties, and you'll have to drop it all the way to the ground to get all of the gas.

I like the Wolfman Rollie for how versatile it is. On a dirt day ride, little bag on top with tools. On the two stroke, same thing but with gas in medium bags on the sides. On long trips, tools in a Med bag on one side, sleeping bag in the other, clothes in small bag on top and tent on top of that.

Radiator fan is nice. Mine is wired to a toggle switch that I hit when I know the going will be slow and hot.

For Slabbing 30-50 miles, I bite the bullet and just trailer it. The problem with slabbing that distance is that your tires wear out just as fast and you'll get beaten up by the wind, but you don't get any fun out of it. Anything that makes the bike better on the street like a windshield, giant hand deflectors, gearing or 50/50 tires is going to make it worse in the dirt.
The other thing is gas to get that distance and back, depending on where the last chance gas is. Sure you can put the big tank on, but then you're carrying that extra weight in the dirt.

You're definitely going to love it coming off of those giant street bikes!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,164
Added this to mine to increase oil supply and help with long term reliability

http://www.ht-racing.com/htrbilletoilcoolerkitr.aspx

Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Hi all ! I would add a fan for cooling but I would use the switch that screws into the radiator to make it automatic . I have a Wolfman Enduro tankbag , it's nice but not really big enough . If I were doing it again I would go a little bigger . Might also want to get a 2nd set of wheels , that way you can change types of tires real fast . We have Michelin S12's on one set and Michelin T63's on the other set . 45T sprocket on the T63 set and 48T sprocket on the S12 set . Chain works for both . That billet oil cooler / tank looks trick as hell , I will have to get one of those . My calcs indicate it should increase the oil capacity to 1.1 to 1.2 quarts , nice! Looks like a real nice bike , hope you enjoy it . Oh , one more thing , I put a set of enduro engineering footpegs on mine , they are a little larger that stock but not excessive.....was well worth it .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
I was just out on my 2011 530 the other day,had a hooligan sort of fireroad day.
Its nice how these bikes will float 4th gear wheelies off corners and a long ways down the next straightaway,I got so wrapped up in broadsliding and wheelieing I ruined a good portion of my back tire.
So it goes.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I was just out on my 2011 530 the other day,had a hooligan sort of fireroad day.
Its nice how these bikes will float 4th gear wheelies off corners and a long ways down the next straightaway,I got so wrapped up in broadsliding and wheelieing I ruined a good portion of my back tire.
So it goes.
Ya, I'm loving this bike so far and know it will get even better... I wish I had another grand to throw at it but I don't so I am going to do the best with what I have. Thanks for all the advice. I need to try and decide what is gonna be my tire of choice. Utah you need to have a DOT Tire but have never been checked. I think I will look into it anyways just to be on the Legal side of things. Who makes the best Dual Sport tire? Anyone care to suggest what they like?
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,629
Ive been using the Pirelli MT43 DOT Trials tire,works better then knobs on some stuff,little worse on other stuff. Mainly I can get twice the mileage of any knobby Ive tried. They arent that bad in mud/sand,less psi makes a big difference traction wise.

I also put a Dirt Tricks fan on mine,smaller and draws way less power then the KTM fan,obviously doesnt push as much air either but it seems to do the trick on mine so far,its got a switch I can reach through the vent holes in the gas tank.
Also stuck a Safari 4.2 gallon tank on the thing,doesnt get in the way much but was painful to pay for. 14/50 gearing seems like good overall dual purpose gearing,will cruise at 65+ easily and is low enough for tight trails.

Check out the Wolfman rear packs,Ive got the day tripper model,its the smaller of the two side packs. I can thrash around on singletrack and not even know Ive got packs on the back. They stay put real well and hold more then they look like they would.
They take about 5 minutes to mount on the bike,I like em.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 10:12 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote