User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #16
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Hello Lurw,
coming from Reutlingen, small town at the Schwäbische Alb.
I can repeat what the other inmates mean, take a superbike handlebar and keep on driving.
Would prefer a small tent, cause sometime you can`t find a place to sleep, it is very warm over the day and you oftendrive till it is dark.
Yes i was twenty, when i did this trip and won`t miss a kilometer. Slept on a resting place, near the autostrada circle from Milano, cause there was no one, who wanted to give me a room.
But the times have changed, bikers are mostly welcome but it is amacing, sleeping beside the bike, hearing the motor cool down, clicking ore sleeping at a small creek in the alps.
Tip, drive Davos to the Ofenpass, direct behind the Camping, you take the dirt road behind the amunition shelter, firplace at the water. Slept there many times, when crossing switzerland. No one did hazard me, the comunal workers for example excused themselfes for waking us, when they cleaned the fireplace. It was Saturday, 8 o `clock.
I love your land, beside the cost off the vignette in 2015.
Hans
hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #17
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
I tend to average 250-300 kms/day riding in and around the Alps. You'll want to stop for pics, eats and other things, not just ride until your eyeballs bleed.

This is pretty average for me and most of the people that I know - this was over 16 riding days, or about twice what you have.:

It does contain some Autobahn getting from Heidelberg (where I store my bike) to the Alps and back.

And a lap of the Nurburgring Nordschliefe
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
lurw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
May I ask you what kind of app you used to track this? Also, where do you create your routes? I haven't found a good solution yet.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurw View Post
May I ask you what kind of app you used to track this? Also, where do you create your routes? I haven't found a good solution yet.
It's just the trip log from my GPS. Most Garmin GPSs will let you grab screen shots.

I don't get really hung up on specific routing, but rather have a list of places that I want to see and roads that I want to ride (more the latter) and string them together on an ad hoc basis. I miss some stuff, but stumble across other stuff that makes it worth it.

With just 1 week, the best that you're going to be able to get is a tiny taste (but it will be a GREAT taste)
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I rode lastsummer on a moped(topspeed 42kph) from Sweden to Grossglockner, Dolomits, Stelvio etc etc. Lots of passes where I have to push the moped few times.
I did that with ten days riding, so I´m sure 1300 miles in 8 days on motorcycle.....you can sleep to pm every day.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,480
I have posted some thoughts about that topic a while ago. 1300km's in a week is possible, no doubt. It all depends on what else, beside motorcycling, you like to do. If necessary, you can ride 1300km's in a day, .... IF that's the goal. Here

Route des Grandes Alpes is by far more spectacular! If yo have the choice. 2-3 days needed if some coffee- and photobreaks will be done beside the gazstops.
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #22
lurw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
A fellow Zürcher!

Problem with the Route des Grandes Alpes is that I'm going during the first week of April, during which most of the mountain passes will still be closed...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #23
Cooltours
Rider of passion

Oddometer: 1,480
Ahw... yes, that ain't possible than. Iseran, Calibier, Bonette.... they all will be closed still. Uhm.... wait.... First week April you say? Mmmm, they say it's going to be cold next few weeks... and snow comes back! Maybe you cross the Alps as fast as possible and spend some time on Corsica or in Tuscany!
Cooltours is offline   Reply With Quote