Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
henson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Alright just got CRF 450x 2007 quick ?s

Greetings all-

I know these are popular bikes - I recently picked up a 2007 CRF 450x, 700 miles.. Ripper of a bike, the bike had all the right mods -- question is I 'see online' the older machines in general---had Valves problems? Are these just machines that weren't maintained ... or older 450s, anyone had issues with a 2007 (not hear from a friend, had bike had issues)? I plan to do oil changes every 500-750 miles - I use it to connect trails / fireroads / to friends - never on highway, just cruising roads then a few easy trails.

The bike fires right up and idles strong. So I'm not too worried about valves now but wondering how often to check clearance. Since I'm going to plate it, I will have the place maybe check valve clearances then (Is it worth it even if bike fires right up and idles strong, runs fine?)..

From the factory do they use SS valves or Titanium or?

Can't wait to ride, still snow on the ground tho..

Thanks for any help
henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by henson View Post
Greetings all-

I know these are popular bikes - I recently picked up a 2007 CRF 450x, 700 miles.. Ripper of a bike, the bike had all the right mods -- question is I 'see online' the older machines in general---had Valves problems? Are these just machines that weren't maintained ... or older 450s, anyone had issues with a 2007 (not hear from a friend, had bike had issues)? I plan to do oil changes every 500-750 miles - I use it to connect trails / fireroads / to friends - never on highway, just cruising roads then a few easy trails.

The bike fires right up and idles strong. So I'm not too worried about valves now but wondering how often to check clearance. Since I'm going to plate it, I will have the place maybe check valve clearances then (Is it worth it even if bike fires right up and idles strong, runs fine?)..

From the factory do they use SS valves or Titanium or?

Can't wait to ride, still snow on the ground tho..

Thanks for any help

You`ll find more info on ThumperTalk then you will here........

Early CRF450`s had problems eating valves,,they are titanium......but a rebuilder suggests it`s more of a valve seat issue than the valves,,best ask the guys at TT they`ve been through this topic alot..

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,355
There is also a dedicated CRF450X thread here in thumpers...check it out. But yeah, more users of this bike at the other site referenced above.

I don't have one, but a couple friends/coworkers/riding buddies do - both 2005 models bought new and dual sported at the time of purchase. I'll call them 'A' and 'B.'

'A' has had great luck with his. No problems and he estimates maybe 10,000 miles on it. The valves in that bike have only been checked/adjusted twice, the last time just a couple weeks ago. This last time, one valve was out of spec and needed adjustment, but the bike still started and ran great.

'B' didn't have such good luck. No valve problems, but fifth gear locked up solid, before there could have been. He has just left it sitting for a few years without trying to repair it (no motivation to do so). I believe this was fairly common with the early bikes, and may have been corrected in the newer ones, but the common, simple solution was to run run a full quart in the transmission...as 'A' has done, again without problems.

When it comes to valves in general, any advice to ignore them until you notice a problem is flawed. You may not need to check them nearly as frequently as the manual suggests, but you do need to check them. 'A' does not rev his bike much at all, and that's a big contributor to why his bike has been so easy on the valves.

Want to hear about 'C'? Another friend of mine had a 2003 CRF450R...yes slightly different animal than the 'X.' He had a fair amount of hours on his, and didn't have any valve issues either. On the other hand, he did snap the connecting rod, destroying basically the entire engine in the process.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
henson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
There is also a dedicated CRF450X thread here in thumpers...check it out. But yeah, more users of this bike at the other site referenced above.

I don't have one, but a couple friends/coworkers/riding buddies do - both 2005 models bought new and dual sported at the time of purchase. I'll call them 'A' and 'B.'

'A' has had great luck with his. No problems and he estimates maybe 10,000 miles on it. The valves in that bike have only been checked/adjusted twice, the last time just a couple weeks ago. This last time, one valve was out of spec and needed adjustment, but the bike still started and ran great.

'B' didn't have such good luck. No valve problems, but fifth gear locked up solid, before there could have been. He has just left it sitting for a few years without trying to repair it (no motivation to do so). I believe this was fairly common with the early bikes, and may have been corrected in the newer ones, but the common, simple solution was to run run a full quart in the transmission...as 'A' has done, again without problems.

When it comes to valves in general, any advice to ignore them until you notice a problem is flawed. You may not need to check them nearly as frequently as the manual suggests, but you do need to check them. 'A' does not rev his bike much at all, and that's a big contributor to why his bike has been so easy on the valves.

Want to hear about 'C'? Another friend of mine had a 2003 CRF450R...yes slightly different animal than the 'X.' He had a fair amount of hours on his, and didn't have any valve issues either. On the other hand, he did snap the connecting rod, destroying basically the entire engine in the process.
Ouch.. Appreciate the info. Just comes to maintenance stuff I think with the mid-later X models. I know there is separate Transmission oil and doing a quart in that every 1k intervals or maybe even less.

I guess my only real concern is if Valves from Factory are Titanium or Stainless Steel - as that could affect durability.

I'll take a look on Thumpertalk, thanks again
henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,355
Intake valves are titanium. Exhaust are steel.

Lutz screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 08:39 PM
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote