User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

Oddometer: 47
2013 King of Motos Ride Report

Well the dust has pretty much settled from King of Motos, but I still wanted to put up a ride report for anyone else thinking about doing it next year. Better late than never I guess!

First let me introduce the group, from left to right: Dad "Grande", Mike, Jeff, Jesse, and Travis.

Our weekend began on Friday, and started off just like our pre-ride of Johnson Valley. We left a bit before dark on Friday, with a 10 hour drive and a bike that was not even close to being ready for Sunday. Before we left I had called about 20 dealerships looking for some parts for my clutch. Finally found a shop that had what I needed in stock juuuust before 5pm. Paid with a credit card, and asked them to suff it in a bush for me outside. After going geocahing outside the shop we found our stash and cruised into Hammertown around 3am.

Next morning we woke up and started working on the bike. The main list of things to do went something like this:

Handguards
New clutch master cylinder piston
New chain / Guide
Change oil / Coolant
Bleed Brakes
Install radiator fan / switch
Rejet carb

While I was doing this stuff Jesse gave me a hand putting some cooling holes in my fender while the others went out riding / driving.

Was moving right along 'till we realized tech and registration were closing soon. Took Jeff's bike into town to get myself checked in, while Jesse hung back to put my bike back together loosely for inspection. After the second trip into town on my 200 I was all set. Registration, GPS, Tech, all that was left to do was pop on that radiator fan and switch. As I rolled back into camp feeling good about what was left to do, we noticed a small river of oil coming down my fork legs. Shit.

Convinced Jeff I might need to borrow his forks and put my lighter springs in them, but it turns out closed cartridge WP forks and open cartridge forks cannot swap springs. Jeff weighs 200 lbs and rides a 450. I could already feel the blisters forming on my hands. Double shit.

Jeff's forks wound up on my bike with a bit more coaxing, and the unrealistic promise of no rock damage. (Sorry Jeff) The last big thing to square away was the fan. Got a quick coolant facial while pulling the radiator off, but wasn't too worried because we were almost there...

Since Jesse was having so much fun with the drill earlier, he offered to put a few holes in the radiator, and rivet on the fan. Generally I would trust him with this sort of thing, but later on I would realize that hovering over him a bit more would have been a good call.

After getting the fan mounted to the radiator we started the electrical work. For some reason the power leads by the engine would not make the fan spin, so after a bit more troubleshooting we decided to just run it through the headlight circuit. The fan would only kick on in the higher RPM's (stock stator) but anything was better than nothing.

Heres Grande Gatos giving me a lecture on preparation.

Got the bike topped off with coolant and fired it up. Although you cant really see it in this pic. I'm contemplating the stream of coolant coming out of my radiator and why Jesse decided to have just a little too much fun with the drill. Triple shit!

Started going into panic mode at this point, so mixed my gas, attached some water to it and hopped in the truck. Was somehow planning on finding a radiator at 11am while I dropped my gas can off for the remote pit. Everyone else was having a great time. Crown, beers, and bullshit. Also, lots (and lots) of heckling.

On the way into town I stopped at every camp where I saw an orange bike and begged for a radiator. Lots of nice folks willing to help, but finding something that would match was like trying to find water in the desert.

Our only option came down to 5 year old plumbers quick epoxy. Started pulling the small cooling fins out of the way to make room for the plumbers putty.

Got a ton packed in there and realistically it was the least likely area for my radiator to spring a leak, but I was pulling my hair out.

All that was left to do was change my oil and, rejet the carb. Only left a few small details to wrap up on race day. Crashed out at 1:30 hoping I would at least make the start.

RobertoGatos screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 09:05 PM
RobertoGatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

Wink

Woke up the next morning around 5:30 and started getting put together. First thing to do was fill up the radiator (with fingers crossed) and fire up the bike. No leaks! STOKED! Put on on some crusty gear and went for a cruise. Came back feeling really good. No problems and it ran great. Last thing to do was scarf down some breakfast.

Race was starting soon and I was a bit worried about never using a Voyager GPS. Didn't have time to play with it the night before, but luckily it was super easy to use. Got the hang of it pretty quick-like on the starting line.

After last night I was just really happy to be at the start. Was funny thinking that the hard part has not even begun yet...

Had a good start on the outside, maybe somewhere in the middle of the pack.

After the first turn there was a nice bottle neck. Kinda had to wait it out.

The rest of the race really cleared up from there, at most you would be stuck behind one or two people on the same obstacle that everyone had to go over.

Managed to tip over less than a quarter mile into the race. Sign of things to come I guess. At least everyone got to see the first crash.

What I didn't realize at the time was that the bike landed on a well placed rock that managed to rip the gas cap off. That would be an issue later...

RobertoGatos screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 09:59 PM
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
hah! Sorry about that radiator robo-boogie, guess it got away from me...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Yes!

This is some good shit man! Keep it coming!

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

Need to organize a few more pic's. Also, someone asked for GPS tracks. I'll try and get those on here somehow.

RobertoGatos screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 08:10 AM
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Your style of race prep is giving my OCD fits
Looking forward to the rest of the story, thanks for sharing!
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Kanista
Grown strong enduring

Oddometer: 59
Dude, how can you fail so hard in being preparated for a race?
Anyway a nice story, and im waiting for it to continue

2 Stroke addicted!
Kanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,787
Yeah, live and learn man.

Nice report. Some of us like learing the hard way...

D.T. screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 11:55 AM
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

You guys would have to know Robo-Boogie to understand. A few years ago he decided to race Vegas-to-Reno, solo, having never done any kind of desert racing before. Got a call from him at about 5pm the night before he had to be down there for tech, asking if he could borrow my new bike (that I had just purchased a few days ago and had not even ridden yet). Took him until about 2am to get the bike kinda-sorta-halfway-prepped and he and our buddy Jefe crashed for a few hours, then got up and drove straight to Vegas. Think they made it to tech about ten minutes before they closed. Of course this was all so last-minute they hadn't made any kind of plans, so they just slept in the back of the pickup truck on the starting line the night before the race. Robo got up a half-hour early and took my bike for a quick spin that morning to get a feel for it. Jefe drove like a maniac and pitted the whole race for him, single-handedly. This is just how it goes with them. I think they're idiots. But I love them for it.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

But I think this is the kind of shit that really says it all. Silly kid.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
You guys would have to know Robo-Boogie to understand. A few years ago he decided to race Vegas-to-Reno, solo, having never done any kind of desert racing before. Got a call from him at about 5pm the night before he had to be down there for tech, asking if he could borrow my new bike (that I had just purchased a few days ago and had not even ridden yet). Took him until about 2am to get the bike kinda-sorta-halfway-prepped and he and our buddy Jefe crashed for a few hours, then got up and drove straight to Vegas. Think they made it to tech about ten minutes before they closed. Of course this was all so last-minute they hadn't made any kind of plans, so they just slept in the back of the pickup truck on the starting line the night before the race. Robo got up a half-hour early and took my bike for a quick spin that morning to get a feel for it. Jefe drove like a maniac and pitted the whole race for him, single-handedly. This is just how it goes with them. I think they're idiots. But I love them for it.
Now that you bring this up, I'm gonna put my old man pants on for a minute here...

We all love an underdog, but not for these reasons.

This level of disorganization and unpreparedness, regardless of a competitive environment or not, is dangerous and disrespectful to everyone involved.

I know because I helped get his bike off the course in the V2R you mention.
He was wasted, his bell was rung, and his bike was lying in the middle of the course.
This kind of poor decision making gets people seriously injured and/or killed.

Please, if you give a sh!t about this guy, try to steer him in the right direction.
I'd hate to see him, or worse yet, someone else, suffer because of his lack of judgement, preparation and common sense.

rant over, lets hear how this adventure turned out...
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Trust me, we've had that conversation. Seems like after every one of these races. haha.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Disrespectful to everyone involved??? You should worry more about your own racing and not his preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
Now that you bring this up, I'm gonna put my old man pants on for a minute here...

This level of disorganization and unpreparedness, regardless of a competitive environment or not, is dangerous and disrespectful to everyone involved.

He was wasted, his bell was rung, and his bike was lying in the middle of the course.

Please, if you give a sh!t about this guy, try to steer him in the right direction.
I'd hate to see him, or worse yet, someone else, suffer because of his lack of judgement, preparation and common sense.

roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Seriously though, Rob's got a pretty good head on his shoulders. Wasn't for lack of preparations that he wadded himself up in V2R. He was riding well all day, conservatively, but maintaining a good pace. Think he had about a 20 minute lead on the next guy in his class when he crashed, about 400 miles into the race? Said he was feeling great and just hit an embedded rock in the silt. That sent him cartwheeling he was done for the day. Could have happened to anyone. Where was the bad decision in there that was so disrespectful or dangerous though? Not getting enough rest the night before the race? I don't see it.

There were/are a lot of things he could do differently to prepare for a race, but what I've taken away from talking to him about it is that it's all time/money/motivation. He's got so much going on with school and GatosBros and everything else in his life, there isn't much left over to put into any kind of sincere racing effort. Barely even a half-assed one, evidently.

By the way, thanks for helping him out at V2R.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
RobertoGatos OP
Go-Go-GatosBros!

You were the guy on the XR650r behind me? I hope you got to see some of that crash! And thanks for picking my bike up! Never had the wind knocked out of me quite like that! I left the bike behind a boulder that would have brought a trophy truck to a stop. So I don't think that was disrespectful or dangerous.

V2R is actually the only race I've DNF'd and I wouldn't say it was for my lack of preparation. On that note its obvious my bikes could use some more prep work, but racing is a hobby for me right now. I'm in school, and starting up GatosBros takes all my time and money. Most my friends stopped riding during college because they cant afford it, and are too busy. I'm glad im still out there, and racing even though its half assed. Plus it makes for better stories.

Gotta finish up my pesky Friday classes then I'll get back to the RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post