Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
KTM 390 Enduro - The bike KTM should build?

KTM just launched a cool new bike in Europe for 2013 - the 390 Duke. 43 bhp and 139 kg.

Now imagine what would happen if they took that small nice long-service interval motor and put in a chassi like the 500 EXC with bigger fuel tank, cush drive, wide 6-speed gearbox and plusher saddle.

You'd end up with the ultimate nimble go-anywhere do-anything adventure bike!

A modern high spec DRZ400 so to speak!

What do you think?
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 757
Plush sadle on a KTM? Never gonna see it!
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
KTM just launched a cool new bike in Europe for 2013 - the 390 Duke. 43 bhp and 139 kg.

Now imagine what would happen if they took that small nice long-service interval motor and put in a chassi like the 500 EXC with bigger fuel tank, cush drive, wide 6-speed gearbox and plusher saddle.

You'd end up with the ultimate nimble go-anywhere do-anything adventure bike!

A modern high spec DRZ400 so to speak!

What do you think?
Call it a 390 Enduro R?

It would be an enticing bike but it would steal sales from their 350 and 500 EXCs as well as the 690. Introducing a light, nimble 390 with long service intervals would highlight the short range and harrowing maintenance schedules of the EXCs and the weight of the big 690.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,835
You haven't read the press releases and quotes from KTM then?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Already announced...and it won't steal sales from 350 / 500 / 690. It will be a different niche - not a race bike. Search, read, learn.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
You haven't read the press releases and quotes from KTM then?
Indeed I have not - lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Indeed I have not - lol.
For supporting Bergs you can look here for starters.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...alks-new-390s/

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
A 390 Enduro would hit the "sweet spot" for a lot of folks - especially if it came in under $7k.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
A 390 Enduro would hit the "sweet spot" for a lot of folks - especially if it came in under $7k.
A KTM 200 lists for over $7k. My 2012 690R was over $10k. Their exc's and racebikes are in the nines. KTM is never going to sell a budget model in the US.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
For supporting Bergs you can look here for starters.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...alks-new-390s/
Thanks for the link! Missed this completely, a 390 ADV would be mighty cool indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
Yupp - I'm a big fan of the DRZ400 but it's getting on a bit now. A KTM 390 Enduro R could be something really special.

And 43 bhp is nothing to sneeze at in such a light bike, should be plenty enough I think. The DRZ400 has 10 bhp less or so!

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 02:39 AM
Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
Crooked Tree
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I used to have a ex Lafferty works bike, a 450 destroked to 400 that I used as a trail bike, but the cost of keeping it up in both time and money made me sell it. It was an awesome bike, perfect chassis and dynoed at 74 rwhp, topped out at well over 100, but..........

I am not into the maintenance aspects of a bike. I want to spend what little time I get to ride on the pegs. I also like light weight and have gone through a few bikes since that one, a KLX 300, A couple of DRZ's and a 650L. I am thinking of buying a KLX 250S and putting a big bore kit on it now. I liked the three hundred but have a bad knee and need electric start.

I thought about buying a blown up KTM and adapting a more mundane motor to it so I could have the best of both worlds, but that is a lot of work. The bike you have envisioned sounds great if they could keep the weight under 300 pounds, that being my cutoff weight for the mix of riding I do.

An EXC with a dependable ride it and forget it motor under 300 pounds, now that would be worth a new bike payment.

Larry
Crooked Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,117
The 390 Duke is listed as 306 pounds tank empty, 44 hp with a six speed and MSRP of $6700. They might be able to shave a few pounds off a dual sport version. But I doubt it would be anything dramatic. So I would figure on a dual sport version weighing right at 295-300 pounds.

All of which, to me, still hit the sweet spot for dual sports. About the same weight range as a WR250R or DRZ400S but with more power. Coming from KTM it should also have better brakes and suspension. At $6700 the Duke is MSRP'ed at only $10 more than the WR250R MSRP.

So we aren't talking crazy expensive. It could finally be time for an upgrade if KTM does this right. A well done dual sport version could be the perfect successor to the 350 dual sports I used to prefer. Especially since I already have a taste for the orange Koolaid.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Tree View Post
I used to have a ex Lafferty works bike, a 450 destroked to 400 that I used as a trail bike, but the cost of keeping it up in both time and money made me sell it. It was an awesome bike, perfect chassis and dynoed at 74 rwhp, topped out at well over 100, but..........

I am not into the maintenance aspects of a bike. I want to spend what little time I get to ride on the pegs. I also like light weight and have gone through a few bikes since that one, a KLX 300, A couple of DRZ's and a 650L. I am thinking of buying a KLX 250S and putting a big bore kit on it now. I liked the three hundred but have a bad knee and need electric start.

I thought about buying a blown up KTM and adapting a more mundane motor to it so I could have the best of both worlds, but that is a lot of work. The bike you have envisioned sounds great if they could keep the weight under 300 pounds, that being my cutoff weight for the mix of riding I do.

An EXC with a dependable ride it and forget it motor under 300 pounds, now that would be worth a new bike payment.

Larry

74 RWHP? Must have had a powerband installed.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Crooked Tree
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
74 RWHP? Must have had a powerband installed.
Race gas only one off motor. It was a 450 with a custom crank/rod/piston. Was not at all practical but a riot. My brother and I were racing the CORR series at the time so always had lots of race gas on hand, but riding too far from home was not an option. I didn't dyno it, that's what I was told when Mike dropped it off. I know from a roll on pavement it would stay right with my 1000 Kawi for quite a distance.

I sold it for fear of having to replace the custom parts and it was more bike than a guy like me really needed. I always wondered if bikes had a mind what it thought of having my fat azz on it.

Larry
Crooked Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The 390 Duke is listed as 306 pounds tank empty, 44 hp with a six speed and MSRP of $6700. They might be able to shave a few pounds off a dual sport version. But I doubt it would be anything dramatic. So I would figure on a dual sport version weighing right at 295-300 pounds.

All of which, to me, still hit the sweet spot for dual sports. About the same weight range as a WR250R or DRZ400S but with more power. Coming from KTM it should also have better brakes and suspension. At $6700 the Duke is MSRP'ed at only $10 more than the WR250R MSRP.

So we aren't talking crazy expensive. It could finally be time for an upgrade if KTM does this right. A well done dual sport version could be the perfect successor to the 350 dual sports I used to prefer. Especially since I already have a taste for the orange Koolaid.
True. I gotta wonder what on earth Yamaha and Suzuki would do if KTM actually released this thing for $6700. WR450R? DRZ400SMRSMR?

I think KTM knows exactly how much this new bike will be worth and will price it according to demand, not just supply. So they could very well bump the price up $1k to satisfy their goals for sales.