We have a green tent as well.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #32
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 415
Me and 35xj will be arriving early this a.m.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
had a couple beers for you guys after the race, where'd you go?
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #34
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Sorry, stopped by your spot and no one was around.
We were pretty wiped, and tried to cut out just after three.
Spent an hour and a half in the traffic jam trying to get out.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #35
35xj
Studly Adventurer

how'd you do? howd you like it?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #36
400psi
Cropdusting

How did you guys like it . Holy crap was that crazy! how'd you do? I dnf'd with a broken or severly sprianed thumb after whiskey throttlling into a tree..
Good times and really enjoyed my first one.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #37
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
how'd you do? howd you like it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400psi View Post
How did you guys like it . Holy crap was that crazy! how'd you do? I dnf'd with a broken or severly sprianed thumb after whiskey throttlling into a tree..
Good times and really enjoyed my first one.
Damn Pete I hate to hear that. Glad you enjoyed it regardless.

Well, I'll let Jesse recount his experience.
As for me, that was the craziest thing I have ever seen.
I don't have a lot of time right now, I may go into more detail later.
After that second hill with the mud bog at the bottom right before it i was basically done...
It took so much out of me trying pick the bike up after going down half way up, then getting run over, and then getting the bike up. I had arm-pump so bad it was crazy. Half way through the first lap, after half a dozen other falls, I was trying to figure out why my brakes wouldn't work. Finally realized the brakes were fine. I just couldn't pull the lever hard enough. My forarms were so trashed I couln't even make a fist. (Hell I can barely type or write even now..lol) I was basically just along for the ride if I hit a rut wrong, couldn't correct it to save my life. I'm not even sure how many trees I hit. Or how many times I was hit by other riders.
When I finally made it to the run up to the finish line, I even went down there. Not even sure what happened. I went through the finish line and told them I was done..
Would have been really stupid to continue. I also probably only had about 10oz's of my 100oz's of water left. Probably would have died on the trail. lol
Not sure what time I did the lap in. When I finally turned the timer off about twenty or so minutes later it was at 107 minutes.

I'm really glad I did it. But I would have to do some serious training beforehand. I just don't get to ride enough.

Sucks we didn't get to meet back up with you guys.

Edit: Oh, and my ribs hurt when I breath today. Lol

Me.

Jesse in green.
Quote:
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!

GI_JO_NATHAN screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 09:03 AM
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
400psi
Cropdusting

Awesome! it was really great to meet you guys. I hate we missed you after the race.
I had a great time yesterday! Nice recap of the race. That mudhole/ hillclimb was a bitch
Old 04-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
35xj
Studly Adventurer

yep, that was a pretty brutal course! those pictures are great, they show #86(our buddy josh) stalled trying to restart!

good to meet you guys. let us know when you want to go for a non super intense ride
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #40
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Sorry, we didn't stay around. We finished the race, laid around the trailers, packed up, turned our transponders in, and hurried up to get in the car at 3pm, so we could sit in traffic til 5pm. We should have parked and came to your trailer.

But yeah. Holy crap!!! That was so intense!

I had so much adrenaline going at the start. I've been involved in racing in some form or fashion over the years, mostly in college. But always in a support, engineering role. Never as a racer. The dead engine start only helped to intensify the awesomeness of the start. I got some good video of that. Me and Jonathan were in a drag race. Video evidence shows that he won the sprint to the corner, but only cause I could barely keep the front end down and the back end was sliding everwhere. Going to have to practice dead engine drag racing sometime. But Jonathan I got good video of you almost wiping out on that second turn.

But then we got to that monster hill at the start. I think it took me 7 mins to get up it. LOL
I paused at the bottom to let the congestion clear and then followed two guys up. One guy stopped and dropped his bike in the middle of the trail, so I slowed down and then stopped and fell over. I ended up having to go back down the hill, and let 3 or 4 other classes pass me before I got back up it. Had a hard time starting the bike. But everyone cheered when I reached the top.

So yeah after that and all the kicking of the bike, I was beat like Jonathan. So I took it pretty easy, let every one pass me. I got lucky on the big hill after the mud bog and actually passed a few people. I had one other small silly drop. But I stopped 6 or 7 times on the first lap to recharge. I wiped out on on the outside of one of the hairpins on the motocross part of the tracks. A lady came up to me and offered me water and words of encouragement. I hung out there for about 3 mins and just watched dudes fly by. At this point I think I was getting double lapped. I went back after the race and thanked the lady and her husband. There was one big downhill that I ended up not being able to hold the brake and clutch in and I went down hard and saw some stars. Probably going to get the helmet inspected after that one. I got up and tried to drink some water and was all out. 3/4 of the way through the first lap and I was out of water! I finished the first lap in 1.5 hours.

But the second lap went much better, about halfway through it, a guy rides up next to me with a safety vest on and says he is the race sweeper and that I'm the last rider on the track. I ended up only stopping maybe once I think. And then had two drops. One I did a nice stoppie over the handlebars on a downhill and the bike was stopped straight in the air on its nose. Too bad the gopro had already died. The race sweeper was nice and helped me pick the bike up. We got to one of the final checkpoints and a safety guy said I had to quit, and I said hell no and that the pros weren't going for another 45 mins. The race sweeper backed me up and they let me keep going. It actually wasn't too bad since I had the track to myself! But I finished the second lap in about 57 mins and if I am right, the second lap was longer than the first by about 1.5 miles due to the start location. All in all had an awesome time. I got a brush guard ripped off, a big contusion on my left thigh, maybe mildly concussed, and a big bruise on the back of my left calf from a guys front forks hitting me from behind. Forearms are also shot like Jonathans.

I'll edit the video and get it up. Only really got the start because a tree took out the video around the 18 min mark.

Good to meet you guys, are you thinking about going to the RDV rally in May?

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #41
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
yep, that was a pretty brutal course! those pictures are great, they show #86(our buddy josh) stalled trying to restart!

good to meet you guys. let us know when you want to go for a non super intense ride
Hey I know Josh ! He raced a few FTR races this year and camped with us..tell him Troy said Hi!

Sounds like that was an accomplishment just to make one lap!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #42
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
Sounds like that was an accomplishment just to make one lap!
It really turned into one for me.
My main goals were to not die, or totally kill the XT. Just squeeked by on both of those.. Lol

I think I forgot to mention, my forks twisted in one of the falls about a third of the way through, so my handlebars were pointed a good bit to the right. That was fun to ride with. Also my DOT K270's mud balled, and couldn't get any traction in the flat sections in the field. I was fish tailing like crazy coming out of the turns.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #43
400psi
Cropdusting

Nice reports guys! It was great to meet you.

So I turned forty this year! What better way to maintain my youth than try a GNCC race.

I watched a few of the videos from years past, enough that I got nervous and freaked my self out. But before I knew it we were gearing up on race day!

Like you guys, I was really nervous at the start. I rode in the trailrider category which started the last. (Lets just say there didnt seem to be many first timers in the class)but who cares.
From there, you can really see how big 600 riders in a field actually is. Hell it took forever to even see the starter!. It seemend like a fairly large group and they had us double stacked so if I missed my start I was going to get run over by some dude with a pink mohawk on his helmet.

I got a pretty good start, (read as"bike started") and made it into the first turn mid pack. I was trying to look ahead as much as i could but it was pretty hard to do with all the congestion. Then i hit that first hill. I saw all the carnage and went on the high side and got stuck behind a rider but it looked like they were moving. I got through that pretty quick and then hit that immediate steep ass downhill. Once through that I was able to settle in and catch my breath.

I couldnt beleive In was actually doing this!

It was amazing being part of this, all these spectators, signs in your perifery flying by etc. Then I realized that this usually means some nasty crap is coming up. This was the mud hole with hill climb out of it. I went to the left side and was able to get through without stopping which I was glad but the adrenaline was pumping. I really had to settle myself down and tell myself that I had another hour and forty five of this! The course was amazing though, and I made it relatively unscathed throught the remainder of the hills, descents, mud bogs. I felt really good as I went through the line and completed my first lap.
The second lap was more eventful as I started getting a bit tired and not looking ahead as far. This caused me to pick a couple of bad lines through some hills and mud holes.

About a mile and a half or so in, I'm not sure what happened, but I whiskey throttled it into a large tree. I spent what seemed like forever, trying to get myself untangled from the bike. I went to pick it up and felt pain shoot through my thumb and my hand! Thats not good. I'm seriously screwed! What do I do now.?! I'll have some water and think about it.

I eventually got it back on course and gingerly rode it. It was hurting and I couldnt get out of the way of other guys. I got stuck in the mud after the culvert crossing and couldnt get started. I finally got started there and after taking my time and riding another couple of miles, I got back into the infield. I was riding like hell and could hardly turn it. I fell in one of the hairpins and made it a couple of hundred yards to our trailer. Enough! I got off the bike and got a beer.

I spent yesterday in the drs office getting a splint so I can get my hand pinned back together hopefully later this week.

For my first racing experience, it was amazing! I have very good friends that helped me and gave me pointers that proved invaluable in the course; race the trail, look ahead, dont worry about the start and give yourself room etc etc.

The people, atmosphere, and course were fantastic and it was an experience I'll always remember! I am very proud of myself for trying one.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #44
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,241
Awesome reports guys!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #45
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

That's some crazy shit Pete. So I sounds like your hand isn't just sprained.. sorry to hear thatl.

I'm glad you made it past that mess at the mud hole. I really feel like that's what killed it for me. I'm not in very good shape right now, and I went past muscle failure several times trying to get my bike up that hill, while holding in the clutch and front brake. And trying to right the bike. I seriously have a whole new respect for those guys.
Quote: