ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
BTW, that sportsmans atlas looks handy. Can you comment on the rest of my proposed route? -al
I can try, but it takes time since the Google names are not on my Sportsman's Atlas. It is very detailed, with houses, cemeteries and churches marked on it, but the only road names are HWY #s. So when you say you are going to take "unnamed road", that doesn't really help me at all. LOL

I need to take it in and photocopy the whole darn thing, because I can't find a new one anywhere. If you would like, I can copy all the counties that you need, and mail them to you. Then you can have some sweet old school paper maps.

I suppose I could scan them too....but our scanner quit working a couple years ago. DAMN! Maybe one of my fellow inmate neighbors could assist? The pages are 16" x 11", so it won't fit on a small scanner.

What's the range on your 250? Quite a few miles between gas stations out there! You could always stop at a ranch and beg for fuel though

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG

fifthcircle screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 02:38 PM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I need to take it in and photocopy the whole darn thing, because I can't find a new one anywhere.
Is this what you are discussing?

http://www.amazon.com/Nebraska-Sport.../dp/1564646866
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
THATS IT! You can tell they are hard to come by...$198 new! I think I paid less than $20 for mine at Canfield's back in '98.

So, who wants one? We can take mine and copy/laminate it at Kinko's. Then we'll all have sweet old school maps ;)

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Wow. I was gonna say I'll just buy one at Amazon if that's it. But at that price I might take you up on your offer. Old school paper maps are so cool. Even better if they're bootlegged.

Basically, between hwy 2 on the south and 20 on the north, and from 87 to about US183 is the area I'm looking at. But depending on the scale of your maps, that might be way too much to copy, so I could narrow that down more.

I'll PM you my address.

-al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh BTW. I can go 300 miles depending on which gas can I carry. So I'm good. I have a short list of gas stations in my notes at home. Maybe I should verify that at some point. One thing I remember off the top of my head is Thedford. I'm gonna have to detour to either 2 or 20 at some point just for fuel. Another option I thought about was angling up to Valentine, gas up, then work my way back south.

BTW, what's the deal with the Samuel McKelvie National Forest up by Valentine. It's the brownest patch on the whole map. Did it burn? -al
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Since we were talking about the Sportsman's Atlas on here, I thought I should post the link that I sent to ALinUtah.

http://nebraskatraveler.com/countymaps/index.php

It's got all the same maps as the sprotsman's atlas, available as PDF. Very glad I came across that link! I was about to go to Kinko's to make a couple new books...saved me a TON of money!!!

BLOG
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #22
mattoid1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Al, a Nebraska Atlas & Gazetteer may be of some help. The one I have breaks NE into 64 different, mapped area. From Interstates to ranch roads, and in between. I've got one for WY and one for MT also. Books stores may have one, or http://www.delorme.com. They cost under $20 when I bought mine. Edit: once on the site, click paper atlases in left column

Enjoy the Sandhills, great country and great people!

Dave

Edit: Originally I thought it was 79 different maps, it is 64, in this book anyway.

mattoid1 screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 07:13 PM
mattoid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoid1 View Post
Al, a Nebraska Atlas & Gazetteer may be of some help. The one I have breaks NE into 79 different, mapped area. From Interstates to ranch roads, and in between. I've got one for WY and one for MT also. Books stores may have one, or http://www.delorme.com. They cost under $20 when I bought mine. Edit: once on the site, click paper atlases in left column

Enjoy the Sandhills, great country and great people!

Dave
The DeLorme Atlas will be a good guide. That 2/20/187 area is my old stomping grounds. I'll try to give some good recommendations.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #24
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

The maps at the nevraskatraveler website were exactly what I needed. Thanx for that! Turns out getting from 87 to 250 will be a challenge. The only road that goes thru is near twin lakes, but I'm concerned that it will be gated. I'll poke around, and may end up going north to get across near the niobrara river or maybe even closer to 20. We'll see. Everything else looks straightforward. I'm surprised how much pavement is out there.

Think Ill ride up thru crescent lake nwr to start. Might just catch 250 north from there a little ways.

Al
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378
Quote:
The maps at the nevraskatraveler website were exactly what I needed. Thanx for that! Turns out getting from 87 to 250 will be a challenge. The only road that goes thru is near twin lakes, but I'm concerned that it will be gated. I'll poke around, and may end up going north to get across near the niobrara river or maybe even closer to 20. We'll see. Everything else looks straightforward. I'm surprised how much pavement is out there.

Think Ill ride up thru crescent lake nwr to start. Might just catch 250 north from there a little ways.

Al
Al -

There is fuel in Hyannis and Thedford. Trying to remember if there is fuel in Mullin or not. There is fuel at the sportsman store at the damn of Merritt Lake that would forego the need to go all the way into Valentine.

There is a road on the Delorme that will bring you right up to the west unit of McKelvie National Forest & the Steer Creek Campground. I've not traveled it, so I don't know the condition or accessibility to it.

Sounds like a great trip idea.

Was just talking to a coworker yesterday about wanting to get a TW sometime and outfit it for exploring the Sandhills road. I'm too nervous to venture very far off the pavement up there on my GS. Have been warned before by locals about good hard roads going to sugar sand with very little warning.

Todd Snider

Tallboy screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 10:38 AM
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
autolycos
True vulgarian

Verified Mullen has fuel at the Coop on Hwy 2.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
autolycos
True vulgarian

Quote:

Al
Go through the gate, leave it as you found it. You should have few problems unless you are on Ted Turner's land. Rumor is he ain't real friendly.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Fuel at Merritt Reservoir is in the perfect location. Thanks.

So it's acceptable to go thru unlocked gates then. That's good to know. If I catch hell from a rancher I'll refer them to you.

I've decided to just ride the mighty 250. That way there will be no worries about what I might be getting myself into. And a little bike adds to the adventure. Man I can't wait. -al
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378
Quote:
Fuel at Merritt Reservoir is in the perfect location. Thanks.

So it's acceptable to go thru unlocked gates then. That's good to know. If I catch hell from a rancher I'll refer them to you.

I've decided to just ride the mighty 250. That way there will be no worries about what I might be getting myself into. And a little bike adds to the adventure. Man I can't wait. -al
Take pictures!

You'll be camping....are you a reader by any chance?

small book. good read.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Prair...hills+nebraska

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #30
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

That looks like something that should go in the saddlebag for evenings. Thank you. -al