ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
DualsportWA OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Central WA adventure route ideas?

Hey everyone, I had originally planned to do an Olympic Peninsula ride with a buddy next weekend, but for this time of year there's still a lot of snowpack, and lots of rain. We're going to save that trip for summer. :)

Anyone have good route ideas for central Washington this time of year? We'll be departing from Bothell, and I'd like to do some sort of Central WA loop - perhaps including the Potholes. We'll be riding a Husqvarna TE-610 and a KTM 400EXC, and we want to do as much dirt roads and trail as possible, hope to find some camp sites with stunning views, etc. We're planning this to be a quick 2-night trip.

Tracks/waypoints for a Garmin GPS would be great too!

Thanks
Gavin
Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,912
Well, I live in Cashmere, and can tell you most of the dirt above my elevation still has a lot of snow. Pretty much limits dirt to the basin. You could go up to Waterville, cut across to Banks Lake, and probably find open dirt somewhere... but it snowed a couple-plus inches in Waterville earlier this week. Dunno how much has melted, but it's supposed to be high 50s/low 60s this weekend.
You could also try running up Palisades Canyon (south of Wenatchee) and cutting across dirt to the Potholes, but be prepared for mud and snow.
I'm shooting a match on Saturday, and cleaning out the garage on Sunday , but I plan to get at least a little riding in this weekend and might have an area report next week.
PM me for a phone call if you want.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
When did you want to do this ride? I have a few ideas but it will take me through today to get them made up. I'll send what I can private.

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
DualsportWA OP
Adventurer

Hayshaker- we're departing next Friday, 03/15/2013 :) Thanks for your offer to send info!

1911fan- that's awesome! I actually own land in Cashmere - I'll PM you for more ideas and info.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Idaho Turboman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey;
I am just over the border of Idaho by Lewiston. Even though it has been nice the last few days, anything above 2500 feet still has snow. People ride all year around Vantage though.
I just saw the Olymipic penninsula loop and am going to do that this summer also. A buddy of mine in Bothel with a KTM will be going . We should hook up then.
IT
Idaho Turboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
WAknobbyknuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wink

We are gonna head from Ellensburg down to Vantage/ Quillomene area if you and then along the dirt on the Columbia to Wenatchee and ride Blueitt Pass back. Might extend the loop into Beverly dunes and Mattawa dirt track if we are making good time. I'll let you know how it goes.
WAknobbyknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
DualsportWA OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAknobbyknuckles View Post
We are gonna head from Ellensburg down to Vantage/ Quillomene area if you and then along the dirt on the Columbia to Wenatchee and ride Blueitt Pass back. Might extend the loop into Beverly dunes and Mattawa dirt track if we are making good time. I'll let you know how it goes.
When are you guys going?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
WAknobbyknuckles
Adventurer

Hopefully Sunday but if not then I'll run it myself during the week most likely. As someone posted earlier,we have had snow this week but I don't think it stuck around the river (positive thinking) I'll let you know if your interested.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

The Whisky Dick area is closed to wheeled travel (Old Vantage to Parke Creek Road) till April and there is fresh snow up high. I don't think you can make it over Parke Creek yet, especially with the new snow.

TONY

George, WA
Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
robl245
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
The Whisky Dick area is closed to wheeled travel (Old Vantage to Parke Creek Road) till April and there is fresh snow up high. I don't think you can make it over Parke Creek yet, especially with the new snow.

TONY
Hi Tony,

It's been a while! (I haven't been on any of the forums for a few years, but we rode together a number of times). I hope things are well with you. I'm the one going with DualsportWA. We're starting and ending from the Cashmere area making a 3 day loop camping off the bikes. We've got only some vague ideas for a route so we're looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks for offering the help. For one stretch, we were thinking of trying to get from Vantage to back up to Wenatchee heading north on the west side of the river. When I google earth it, I can clearly see quite a bit of two track going that direction. Have you ever tried that?

Rob
robl245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl245 View Post
Hi Tony,

It's been a while! (I haven't been on any of the forums for a few years, but we rode together a number of times). I hope things are well with you. I'm the one going with DualsportWA. We're starting and ending from the Cashmere area making a 3 day loop camping off the bikes. We've got only some vague ideas for a route so we're looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks for offering the help. For one stretch, we were thinking of trying to get from Vantage to back up to Wenatchee heading north on the west side of the river. When I google earth it, I can clearly see quite a bit of two track going that direction. Have you ever tried that?

Rob
Good to hear from you Rob, I still visit with Greg every so often last seeing him at the hillclimbs near Yakima. I'll PM my cell number to you, give me a call and we can talk about route options.

I know the area very well that you mention. You will not be able to make that trip legally from Vantage to Wenatchee along the river till April. A good share of the area is under a seasonl closure and the two track that makes the lower elevation connection is a Red Dot road. From experience, the Vantage to West Bar and back is a 120 miles r/t ride. I do it at least once or twice a season but it is rocky. Much rockier than the upper roads you have ridden.

Remember this ride? Call me when you can Rob. TONY

George, WA
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
robl245
Adventurer

HA!!!!! Yes, that was an intertaining trip, probably around 2005 or so. Gavin and I were both trying to take our dads for their first ever dirtbike ride. That's Gavin's dad there in the bush on an XL250. That's my old XL600 there Greg's working on. I owned it while in college in the late 90s, then sold it to Greg. He doesn't have it any more. What a horrible fat pig that thing was. Electric start was a great invention.

That's good to know about the "Red Dot" road. Everything looks great from the Google Earth view.

I'll be giving you a call.

Rob
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
WAknobbyknuckles
Adventurer

Cool, thanks for the info! Hadn't done all my research yet just was an idea I had scouted from Google Earth as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,912
The alleged "road" to West Bar is a miserable rocky pig. I've done it many times on four wheels (used to do volunteer eco-rehab in that area) and a few on two wheels. Less than fun on a 990 Adventure, in spots, but I want to take my XR200 there. Nice scenery, though.
I think a nice ride would be from Cashmere up Mission Creek to Haney Meadows, down and out through Reecer Creek, then slab to the wind farm, up north through the wind farm to Whiskey Dick and back to the Malaga area through the Colockum. Been many years since I was in the Whiskey Dick area, so I'll have to figure out how to link that section. Be either a long day or a fun weekend.
Won't happen until June/July due to snow, and maybe not this year due to the Mission Creek road closure and washout- plus the fire last year probably dropped a few hundred trees on the road.
Plan to do the northern legs of the WABDR this summer though.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
robl245
Adventurer

OK, so just for fun, here's a couple more pics of the Dad dual sport adventure of 2005. Tony joined us on the adventure to guide us through the Green Dots since we had never ridden there before. We aimed for the Green Dots since the riding is relatively easy there.

Here's Jack doing just fine up the hill.....

Then all of a sudden and without warning, DISASTER STRUCK!!!!!

Then he had to wait there stuck in the bush until all desired pictures had been taken. Then he was extracted from said bush.

Here's my Dad on my good old 85 XR350 (which I still have) probably wondering why in the world I do this stuff. I think they both had a good time though.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas guys. We're sure to have fun this next weekend! If there's any more ideas out there, lets have em!! Now I'm trying all sorts of ways of packing my bike up since I've never ridden with camping gear before. It's kinda like a puzzle.