User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Oddometer: 140
Volvo Car Knowledge Needed

Looking at buying a new to me used car or truch since I sold my truck. Really don't care to much which one I get.

I do have some draw towards the Volvo Station Wagons, my age is showing lol..

I'm a little nervous about getting one though, esp with turbo. I hear the turbo's go out and are very expensive to fix..

So, are my sources right? Should I run from a volvo, esp one with turbo.. How are the $'s on general repairs?

One I'm looking at is a 2002 Volvo V70 Turbo with 86,000 miles on it.. Thanks in advance for any info..
Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 137
Only experience I have with a volvo is my buddies 03 s80 twin turbo.

In the year he has had it he has had issues with, vac lines, throttle body unit, axle, blinker housing, turbo inlet hoses, turbo oil line, power steering line, and oil around the top of the sparkplugs. Interior would have speaker grill falling off, buttons that are sticking, center console door issues and problems reading codes (attributed to the throttle sensor issue).
Now this could all be due to poor maintenance from the original owner, but its not my car.

Under 70k miles but it was cheap and it has not left him stranded yet.

I have always wanted an 850R wagon.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
muddywater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
All my Volvos have been rear wheel drive. A total of four.
They required some care and tinkering but were solid cars.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Volvo after Ford = bad news.

I've been involved in the car repair industry and so I get
to see more stuff than someone who just owns a car.

There are aspects of the design of newer Volvos which are appalling.
For example in some engines the valve cover is the upper cam bearing.
That's done to save money and probably also to make robotic assembly
more practical but it's just not good engine design. I would not want a Volvo
made since Ford became involved even though the R wagon is fun and definitely
quick for a wagon.

If you stated what you actually need the car to do it would be easier to
make a recommendation. But you do seem to want a wagon.

I love wagons. I think it's the most practical car design
ever, and I think it is pathetic that the SUV idiocy has taken
over to the extent it has.

If you have to get a wagon get a Subaru with a manual
transmission. They will do pretty much anything you need a
car to do and they are very reliable as long as you buy carefully.
Some of the 2.5 liter engines had problems with head gaskets so
you need to educate yourself before just going out and buying any
old Subaru. Best to pay a PRO who is very familiar with the make of car
you're interested in to do a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection before buying
ANY used car unless you are truly expert on the car on question. Asking questions on this
forum is NOT an substitute for a professional inspection.

I love German cars but if I had to buy a new wagon it would be a Subaru,
without question.

A newer Volvo ? No way. Now, the older Volvos ( e.g. 245 wagon ) were
super reliable tanks though they were pretty boring to drive. If all you need is two wheel
drive and you can find a solid 245 Volvo, that IS a car that was built to last and if
you take care of it the thing can be passed down to your children.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 03:26 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Thanks everyone for the replies.. Those were enough to scare me away from a newer Volvo.. I do like the older ones still and have known many to run forever and ever..

I do like the Subaru wagons as well.. Those are actually at the top of the list next to the Volvo wagons.. I must admit I know nothing whatsoever about the Subaru's in terms of longevity and cost of repairs.

I'm really open to my next vehicle. Basically, I'm looking for reliability, affordable repairs, and something that I can fit my wife, youg daughter, and sometimes the dog into. I would also like to be able throw some stuff from lowes in the back from time to time. However, I can work with that a little as I still have a little 4'x8' trailer that I use for little odd's and ends such as towing the Bike.

Also, what year did Ford take involvment within Volvo?
So, I need to be able to tow a little,m albeit very rarely. I would love an extended cab toyota but people are very proud of those with the prices I'm seeing. I'd rather not get something with 200k miles and would also like to stay in the $5k range.. I may be asking a lot but it is what it is.. Oh, and I do not want another V-8 for now.. Trying to get some better mpg's that the Hemi I just got rid of..

scottalot screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 03:37 PM Reason: thought
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
I must admit I know nothing whatsoever about the Subaru's in terms of longevity and cost of repairs.
Now subaru on the other hand I do know about.

I have a 2003 wrx currently with 200K on it, I have had to replace the valve cover gaskets once and the oil fill tube gasket once. The rest, standard oil changes and the rest. I have owned 13, yes 13 different subaru's. Get an older outback or forester and it should treat you right, want more power and a manual, get a wrx wagon.

Repair prices are not bad, independent shops charge about the same as any import repair place. Parts are easy enough to get from the dealer or many smaller retailers, and the fan base/owners are rabid for the brand and have lots of forums for support.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Ford no longer owns Volvo. They're owned by the Chinese...

My girlfriend owns a 2002 Volvo S60. T5, AWD, auto. It's a low pressure turbo and has no extra maintenance issues to be concerned with.

In general it's been a good car. Coming up on 180k miles it started skipping the 2-3 shift. A shop quoted her $5k for a transmission.

I looked around and found her symptoms, and they were the result of a servo cover failure. $30 part, with a bit of fiddling to get it compressed well enough to get the snap ring in.

Problem solved.

I've owned a couple of BMWs (3 series, perfectly reliable cars), and I've been driving a 2005 Subaru Outback XT (2.5 turbo), which I've bumped up to stage 2. Much higher risk of ingesting a turbo.

The thing hauls serious ass and is a freak in the snow and mud.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozirra View Post
Now subaru on the other hand I do know about.

I have a 2003 wrx currently with 200K on it, I have had to replace the valve cover gaskets once and the oil fill tube gasket once. The rest, standard oil changes and the rest. I have owned 13, yes 13 different subaru's. Get an older outback or forester and it should treat you right, want more power and a manual, get a wrx wagon.

Repair prices are not bad, independent shops charge about the same as any import repair place. Parts are easy enough to get from the dealer or many smaller retailers, and the fan base/owners are rabid for the brand and have lots of forums for support.

You make for a tempting example of ownership :) I have always liked those as well.. If I do buy one it will be a wagon for sure. If you all can't tell I'm itching for a wagon. Sold the big truck and would like to have a good ol comfy long lasting wagon to replace it with. I'm on the serious look out and its just a matter of finding a non-abused decent priced one out there. Be it the older Volvo or a Subaru, although now I feel a slight lean towards the Subaru.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,793
My sister had an 850 T5 turbo. That was a really fun, very quick car with a mean sounding exhaust...but my GOD what a pile of crap. O2 sensors failed, exhaust components were rusted out well before they should have been, transmission problems causing limp mode all the time, interior trim falling off, 70mph shimmy that could not be cured, mystery overheating problem, problems with the brake caliper alignments, etc. There was more, but I can't remember everything.

I can't speak for the newer Volvos and can only hope the quality is improved -- but the V70 is not that much different from the 850 in overall design. I'd stay away.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
get a P1800ES
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,754
I bought my first Volvo six years ago. It was an 850 wagon non turbo. Not a speed demon but comfortable and reliable. It had couple of issues but I only took it to mechanic to put new timing in it. I bought it with 135K miles and put another 50K in four years. Now I have another two Volvos. 99 and 98 V70, I wanted to try the Subaru but yhe head gaskets failed at140K, a small repair that costs $2K...

Long story short, stay away from years 99, 01, 02 and 03 buy Haynes manual for the little shit repairs and enjoy the most versatile car out there.

I tow three bikes, and sleep in it too
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,391
Back when I had 2 Volvos, brickboard.com was the place to go for all things Volvo.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
Got my 86 240GL wagon in 95 with 157K on it, it has more than 300K+ (odometer is broken since 2001) and my car still running pretty strong I take on trips without much worries, it had some parts replaced let me list them: radio, radiator, alternator, fuel pump, 2 speedometers and at least two sets of tires, brakes pads, timing belt, shocks, a extremely pitted front windshield ($175) because I could hardly see it thru when the sunlight comes directly in front, and a seal for the oil pan, several sets of spark plugs, distributor + caps.
Many parts I replaced myself because it is easy to replace them and the engine compartment is very roomy.

I am pretty pleased with the car although it is showing its age I will be sorry when I have to stop driving this car in the future, and would like to get another same model if possible.

Ps. It does not consume or leak a drop of oil.

Good luck on you Volvo purchase.

My block has 12 houses and at one time we had 10 Volvos and Now only 7 Volvos, newer and oldest "Mine", 4 wagons, 2 sedans and 1 suv.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Thanks everyone for the replies and good info. I'm looking all over the place for either an older Volvo Wagon or a Subaru with moderately low miles. I fond a 2006 Suzuki Forenza Wagon right on my Island this morning w/ only 100k on it for 3800.00 , however, after reading reviews online I quickly realized that would be a mistake. They, evidently, have many issues, get pricey to fix, and the dealerships that service them are shutting down. So, no Suzi wagon for me.. The search continues. Hopefully, as summer gets closer more of them will hit the market as people decide to sell their trusty old wagons for a fun beach oriented Jeep or whatever. Their loss my gain :)
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
scottalot OP
Blank Space

While we're talking Station Wagons.. What's the general feeling when it comes to Volkswagen's? Say the 2003 ish models..