Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #46
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
Can't recall exact dates, but almost sounds like you were involved in the Base before it shut down.. Think that was more 80's ish though..
No, I didn't have anything to do with the Navy base though some projects I worked on were in some of the buildings after the Navy was gone, which I think was around '95.

My mom's side of the family is from SC, so I've been in & out of there my whole life. My two kids grew up there (went to Buist & CofC) & have only recently left there.

Those guys are right, Volvo's ARE soild. You barely feel or hear anything as it bounces off!
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #47
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Oddometer: 140
[QUOTE=mountaincadre;20926799]YOU sir should be burned at the stake for even asking this,

Ah whatever.. Just trying to find four wheels to get me back and fourth to work, and cheaply. May shuffle the wife and daughter arond from time to time - thus safety is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
Ducky149 is a Volvo Master Tech...
Very good to know for those confused help me moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
I've owned a lot of Volvo's in my time and currently own 3, an amazon wagon, a 2003 S60 (same everything as the wagon you are considering) and a 2010 XC70. The 2010 is too new and the 68 is too old to compare, but the 2003 is just right.

Thanks for the nudge in relation to other years. I will make sure to remember the mentioned T-belt and Trans flush. Good points .

Also, don't take mechanic advice from folks that are not Volvo mechanics. Use Swedespeed.com to find a good non-dealer near you.
Also, thanks for the sites and area to get parts and find help/info on. Will be very useful once I get my Volvo and start picking at stuff..
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #48
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
an amazon wagon

Wanna sell it?
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #49
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
XC70 forum with lots of info on the AWD units

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/forumd...70-%28V70XC%29

Generally stay away from 2001-2002 due to trans trouble. Newer models use the same Aisin Warner 5spd auto shared with a bunch of other makers. Only trouble with those is that Volvo doesn't have a recommended ATF change interval - you'll want to ignore that and change it periodically anyways.

Turbos are not a problem for any car that's had semi-reasonable oil changes, it's a pretty bulletproof Mitsubishi TD04.

The PCV system ("flame trap") can be a trouble at 100k+ on "white block" Volvo engines ('93 850 and newer 5 cyl) that have no good oil change history. They DO want synthetic oil. There is a $300 kit to fix it but you will spend 8 hours installing it - better off for a pro to do it.

Viscous coupling AWD as used in early (-03?) Volvo AWD is the one that has trouble with differing tire diameters.

Newer Haldex AWD is just fine within reasonable limits.

I like my '07 XC70. '03+ is almost the same.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #50
scottalot OP
Blank Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
My mom's side of the family is from SC, so I've been in & out of there my whole life. My two kids grew up there (went to Buist & CofC) & have only recently left there.

Those guys are right, Volvo's ARE soild. You barely feel or hear anything as it bounces off!
Great Schools for the children. I never personally went to either but have known many people whom did.. You would be familiar with my stomping grounds then - James Island..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/forumd...70-%28V70XC%29

Generally stay away from 2001-2002 due to trans trouble. Newer models use the same Aisin Warner 5spd auto shared with a bunch of other makers. Only trouble with those is that Volvo doesn't have a recommended ATF change interval - you'll want to ignore that and change it periodically anyways.

Turbos are not a problem for any car that's had semi-reasonable oil changes, it's a pretty bulletproof Mitsubishi TD04.

The PCV system ("flame trap") can be a trouble at 100k+ on "white block" Volvo engines ('93 850 and newer 5 cyl) that have no good oil change history. They DO want synthetic oil. There is a $300 kit to fix it but you will spend 8 hours installing it - better off for a pro to do it.

Viscous coupling AWD as used in early (-03?) Volvo AWD is the one that has trouble with differing tire diameters.

Newer Haldex AWD is just fine within reasonable limits.

I like my '07 XC70. '03+ is almost the same.
I really appreciate all of the Volvo knowledge from everyone. This is good stuff. Its nice to gather and study this information before I go out into the Volvo shopping world blindfolded.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #51
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Wanna sell it?
Nope.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #52
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,248
Quote:
Nope.

I knew that was the answer!!

Luckily I live near San Francisco and lot's of 122s' live around here.

larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #53
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
I'm relieved the local guy with the 2006 V70R six speed wagon sold it before I got chance to look at it. The collar gear doesn't seem to like coping with 300hp.

http://v70r.com/forums/topic/13041-p...gear-analysis/

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?113558
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #54
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post

Those years ran the same Aisin AW55 gearbox as the years before, and the years after.

And that fundamentally is the most difficult part about these cars, identifying good information. For it's darn hard to actually locate. There's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there on these cars. Especially when you're dealing with the awd models.

Volvo doesn't make it any easier with their own confusion. Such as the V70awd, not to be confused with the V70xc, which is also an awd V70, but not the same as the V70awd. Got that?

Or the viscous coupler vs Haldax. The viscous coupler is made by Haldax. All Haldax systems are viscous couplers. The "viscous coupler" people talk about is a passive system, while the later fancier "Haldax" units were electrically powered. Volvo installed various versions of coupling systems by Haldax on their cars, and varied them by year and model. The 02 year is a little extra fun as the V70awd I think ran the passive "viscous coupler" Haldax, while the V70xc ran a powered version (at least mine has a powered unit). Confused yet?

V70's up to 02 or 03 as I recall ran the film type throttle sensor (these are throttle by wire cars) that was notorious for failing, resulting in a progressively undriveable car. About a $600 fix. I've seen various claims that the V70xc didn't have this, but driving some make it clear that certainly did. Break point for the V70xc seems to be about 02. Could vary with country of origin.

Gasoline leakage from the fuel pump in the tank is a common problem. Sometimes covered by a very restrictive recall (only some states, up to so many miles, etc). Not a bad job on a V70, but a nasty job on a V70xc. There's an access port in the car on the V70, it's not there on the V70xc. You can cut your own access port, or drop the tank. To drop the tank, you drop the rear suspension, the tank is on top of it. It's a saddle tank, lots of fun. There are some techniques, involving 2x4's that sometimes help and can mean you only half to drop the front half of the rear suspension.

PCV failure is common somewhere over 100k miles. A full PCV overall is a remarkably time consuming and expensive proposition. But, most of the time the failure is in the little orifice in the main air intake tube. Remove it, clear the tiny hole, and it will likely be all better. This lets you leave the intake manifold on the car (has to be removed for a full servicing).

Ignition keys are an expensive thing, because the car has to be programed to the keys, not the other way around. Figure about $300 for each key and programming.

If one is looking at this era and plans to work on it, a computer with Vidas or Vida (forget which) is necessary, as is a DICE unit in order to be able to communicate with the car. The service manual hides in this software as well.

Volvo's, et all, are a rather high maintenance machine, especially compared to something like a Toyota Camry. They are also quite quirky to work on. You've really got to mentally shift gears with them.

turbo bricks I've had over the years:
89 740 turbo
98 V70glt
02 V70xc

Do I regret having them? No. Do I recommend them to my friends who are not mechanically inclined and want appliance like reliability? No.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #55
scottalot OP
Blank Space

foxtrapper

Thanks Foxtrapper, I think.. I say think because--- I am at this point a little confused LOL. I took in a good portion of your reply but got a little lost in the beginning. I don't mind tooling with my cars, however - I'd rather leave the tank and suspension pulling to my bike's. Sooooo, all that said - I can tell I have a lot of re-reading throughout this thread before I make any purchases. Rest assured, I have not found anything yet and will do my very best to comb over it prior to purchase and also post about it here afterwards.. My brain is tired now, as I have really been doing a crazy amount of car searching and research on all makes and models..

It would seem, some of the better choices boil down to Toyota and Honda.. We shall see, my issue is they are both either not made in the model I prefer of are very proud in the prices they bring..
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #56
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
It would seem, some of the better choices boil down to Toyota and Honda..
We have Volvos in the house because the wife insists on it. It's because of the boy child and the legendary Volvo safety. Otherwise, we would have Toyotas and Hondas. We've both long had Toyotas and Hondas. Their reliability and repairability far exceeds that of a Volvo.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #57
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Do I recommend them to my friends who are not mechanically inclined and want appliance like reliability? No.
I'd agree with that statement -- even with the earlier red block (740/940) cars.
They do require maintenance, but it is so easy to do for a competent shadetree wrench. They rarely require a special tool, their diagnostics are built in (no computer or reader necessary) and they are a simple, robust design. The FWD, and AWD Volvos (anything made after 1995) are a completely different animal. I don't think I'll ever own a FWD or AWD Volvo.

My comments earlier were based solely on the red block 740/940 cars. I feel these cars are every bit as reliable and DIY-repairable as Honda & Toyota. (and I'm a huge fan of Toyota) -- albeit with a European approach.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.

tvpierce screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 06:37 AM
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #58
scottalot OP
Blank Space

With all of that said I'm really leaning towards the Toyota's and Hondas now.. Either an accord or Camry, but would really prefer a Stick shift - Ext. Cab 6cyl Toyota P/up.. They are out there, its just tough finding one that either 1. Isn't dogged out and lifted ten inches, or 2. Isn't in the 200k mile club. Of, then there's the chore of finding one at a decent price. I'm flexible on the Price - but around here everyone thinks their vehicles are worth 2x the book Value.. Looking within about a 100 Mile radius. That's all I can really work with as my work schedule keeps me to busy to travel much further at the moment..
Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #59
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
You being 6'4"..there's NO better car than a Volvo when it comes to proper seating; bar none!

Seriously miss my 2011 XC v70(FWD)...swapped it for a 2002 VW EuroVan Camper !

Done with Motorcycle sidecaring thus the more protected environment of the VW Van. Volvo SW wasn't too Camper friendly with my dachshund and wife in tow.

Good luck in your choice...but must admit that there's nothing out there that goes the distance like Japanese cars...

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #60
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Just one experience, longish:

A few years back we had a 99 v70 wagon non turbo we picked up used (well maintained) with 50k, kept it for a couple years.

We bought it for its nice size and safety rep. Loved the boxy/plain look/wagon versatility.

That thing was in the shop so often (electrical, suspension etc). Every month or two it seems like it needed something beyond normal maintenance.

I was so glad to get rid of it. Just never trusted it. It did not seem like it was built for durability or ease of maintenance. I'll never buy another Volvo again after owning that car...it seemed "Audi/VW" like...

We replaced it with a 2000 540i, due to a family deal ($5k, 40k miles...). The BMW has been much less finicky, but it is no Honda either. I'm aware of some of the issues with that era of BMW. The way below market purchase price allows for some repairs...Frankly, our needs are Camry or Highlander not "euro tuner". The V8 is fun, but really over the top for our needs.

Context: The older I get the less interest I have in cars, especially as daily drivers. I just want them to work without headaches (save hobby/classic cars). The Volvo did not meet that requirement at all. We were always wondering what would break next.

I never worry at all about repairs/reliability on my main car (Honda Ridgeline). That feeling is gold. The Volvo was pyrite.
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote