ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #61
scottalot OP
Blank Space
 
scottalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chucktown
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
You being 6'4"..there's NO better car than a Volvo when it comes to proper seating; bar none!

Seriously miss my 2011 XC v70(FWD)...swapped it for a 2002 VW EuroVan Camper !

Good luck in your choice...but must admit that there's nothing out there that goes the distance like Japanese cars...

My tallness really does hinder what I will pick. That and the fact that I need to be able to go to lowes once in a while, or haul the surfboard, or tow the bike, who knows. Thanks for the heads up

cheers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalslowpoke View Post
Just one experience, longish:

That thing was in the shop so often (electrical, suspension etc). Every month or two it seems like it needed something beyond normal maintenance.

I was so glad to get rid of it. Just never trusted it. It did not seem like it was built for durability or ease of maintenance. I'll never buy another Volvo again after owning that car...it seemed "Audi/VW" like...


Context: The older I get the less interest I have in cars, especially as daily drivers. I just want them to work without headachesI never worry at all about repairs/reliability on my main car (Honda Ridgeline). That feeling is gold. The Volvo was pyrite.
Well, I must admit, at this point I'm really just ending my Volvo search.. Should rename the thread Toyota/Honda haha..

We're on the same page when it comes to vehicles. I just want something that will go and go, with no worries, and not in the shop often. I really don't care to much about the rest ..
__________________
Cool stuff inserted here
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #62
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!
 
Mr. Canoehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
With all of that said I'm really leaning towards the Toyota's and Hondas now.. Either an accord or Camry, but would really prefer a Stick shift - Ext. Cab 6cyl Toyota P/up.. They are out there, its just tough finding one that either 1. Isn't dogged out and lifted ten inches, or 2. Isn't in the 200k mile club. Of, then there's the chore of finding one at a decent price. I'm flexible on the Price - but around here everyone thinks their vehicles are worth 2x the book Value.. Looking within about a 100 Mile radius. That's all I can really work with as my work schedule keeps me to busy to travel much further at the moment..
Ok, so I have typed this response 3 times over the past week and deleted it each time because I didn't want to take this thread into the weeds but here goes:

If you want a small reliable truck, look an S10 or a Ranger (or the Isuzu/Mazda versions of the same). They are reliable as hell and parts are cheap. You can get a four or six cyl with manual or auto, 4x4 or 4x2. You can't lose. For slightly larger, go with a Dakota with V6 or V8.

If you want Japanese, go with Nissan - way cheaper than Toyota and almost equal quality or if you can afford a newer vehicle, a Ridgeline - nobody wants those, so they are cheap (at least around here).

Toyota makes a great truck but people treat them like family heirlooms. The Camry is a car for people who hate cars.
__________________
___________________________________________
2006 FJR1300, 2005 GS1150 Adventure, 2002 DR650 SE, a fortune in Farkles.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #63
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 5,674
i've owned an 1989 Volvo 240GL wagon and a 1990 240DL sedan and a 1997 850 T5 wagon and now I have a 1996 960 Wagon. Always loved the rwd platforms as they were/are the most durable cars ever made...my 850 T5 was alot of fun and had a great turbo....BUT you will pay for it...the whole of the front wheel drive turbo-ed design does not lend itself well to reliability...its a constant money pit...the newer designed V70's...especially 2001-02 models are to be avoided at all costs ...and an XC or AWD version is a bigger waste of $...I have found that the Volvo 960 series to be the very best rear wheel drive Volvos ever made. The ride is superior on the hwy to the FWD platforms and the inline 6 cyl. engine is extremely smooth and has excellent power ..especially in "S" mode... The interior is excellent and with some updated wheels the car looks damn fine ...lets find a pic...its a joy to drive...I commute 300 miles a week in it when the weather doesnt allow me to ride the bike...
__________________

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond

STBNE screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 05:05 AM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #64
scottalot OP
Blank Space
 
scottalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chucktown
Oddometer: 140
Mr. Canoehead, I have kept an eye out on the Rangers. I'm kind of over the Dodge thing for now as I've had three in my time. Mostly Rams, but for the whole I feel like the suspension on them is not something to write home about. The dodge I just sold had 86k miles on it and I don't think it would've made it half as far as some of the Toyota trucks. I've had many friends with Toyota's and the dang things ran forever - and were not treated well. I do agree with you on the fact that people are very proud of them. It nuts what they want for a 20 yr. old truck with 300k, like half or better of original market price wen new. I'm also having issues with the Camry thing, just cannot see myself driving one. I know they run forever as well, but just not me. Same goes for the Accord by Honda, great car, but not really me.

As I continue my search, I find myself looking for not only a good long lasting Vehicle, but also maybe something that I will like. I figure, if I don't like what I'm driving to some degree, then chances are I either A.- Won't keep it very long or B.- I won't take as good of care of it..





STBNE, That's a good looking Volvo ya have - wheels do go a long ways. I really like the Wagon models. My brothers wife has one she bought years back for around 1.5k and it still cranks and goes every single day. Amazes me, and she is not a maint. type of person. Her belief is that it was so cheap why bother. I am the opposite, I would baby that car and take really good care of it and make it last twice as long :)
__________________
Cool stuff inserted here
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #65
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 5,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
Mr. Canoehead, I have kept an eye out on the Rangers. I'm kind of over the Dodge thing for now as I've had three in my time. Mostly Rams, but for the whole I feel like the suspension on them is not something to write home about. The dodge I just sold had 86k miles on it and I don't think it would've made it half as far as some of the Toyota trucks. I've had many friends with Toyota's and the dang things ran forever - and were not treated well. I do agree with you on the fact that people are very proud of them. It nuts what they want for a 20 yr. old truck with 300k, like half or better of original market price wen new. I'm also having issues with the Camry thing, just cannot see myself driving one. I know they run forever as well, but just not me. Same goes for the Accord by Honda, great car, but not really me.

As I continue my search, I find myself looking for not only a good long lasting Vehicle, but also maybe something that I will like. I figure, if I don't like what I'm driving to some degree, then chances are I either A.- Won't keep it very long or B.- I won't take as good of care of it..





STBNE, That's a good looking Volvo ya have - wheels do go a long ways. I really like the Wagon models. My brothers wife has one she bought years back for around 1.5k and it still cranks and goes every single day. Amazes me, and she is not a maint. type of person. Her belief is that it was so cheap why bother. I am the opposite, I would baby that car and take really good care of it and make it last twice as long :)
Thanks...I'm quite proud of the old girl...currently has 180K miles and it will see 300K no doubt...
I do take care of my vehicles and this one is no exception...it is an exceptional motor though...
Pickup trucks are something else...my brother has been looking for a small truck as well...prolly like you already know the Ranger and the S10 are a good value for your $...The Japanese trucks are great but they are alot more expensive...Around here a good used truck forsale doesnt stay forsale very long...and even with high mileage they seem to be holding their value well.
__________________

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #66
motoretro
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
The Japanese trucks are great but they are alot more expensive...Around here a good used truck forsale doesnt stay forsale very long...and even with high mileage they seem to be holding their value well.

You're right on the Japanese trucks although if you don't mind a less popular 2WD Regular Cab and can drive a manual trans, you can pick up a Toyota for considerably less. I have a 09 Tacoma I could not sell due to this.
Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #67
scottalot OP
Blank Space
 
scottalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chucktown
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
You're right on the Japanese trucks although if you don't mind a less popular 2WD Regular Cab and can drive a manual trans, you can pick up a Toyota for considerably less. I have a 09 Tacoma I could not sell due to this.
Motoretro

I have seen a couple Std Cab Stick Toyota's for sale. One, the best around here, was a 99' with 130k on it for 5G's. Some normal wear and tear, small dent in the front bumper- would have to replace to fix.. This was the best deal for the miles that I have found. I even considered it, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. I have a tallness handicap. I know from expierence, a single cab for me = not enough leg room and back pain down the road from sitting all bunched up.. Really a shame, because this truck was pretty nice..

Oddly, I'm considering looking at a totally different Vehicle today. This is off the wall.. Found a 1978 Jeep CJ5 totally restored and gone through, and local. Its not what I went out looking for, but its a really nice Jeep. I hadn't considered a Jeep until I found this one and remembered the Jeep I used to have. Was a good Vehicle, fun, and could do many of the things I would like my Vehicle to do. Its also rugged enough to get me out in the woods to a big/fun plantation a friend of mine owns about an hour ride away (Brickhouse Plantation, on Edisto - In the National Historical Registry).

In fac, the only reason I sold my old Jeep was because of my Ex-Fiance. She ticked me off too many times and one more time on a friday night. The next morning I traded it in for a full size truck (The one I recently sold). That way, as I told her, next time you starrt your psycho crazy stuff again I'm loading my stuff in the truck and moving out. I'll pay a few months of my share of the remaining lease to not deal w/ her craziness. Lord and behold, two weeks later I was a happy single man in my own place

End rant, now this thread just got a little Jo Mamma twist, lol..
Will post pics if I get the Jeep..
__________________
Cool stuff inserted here
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #68
scottalot OP
Blank Space
 
scottalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chucktown
Oddometer: 140
Well, looked at two Jeeps today and bother were a bust. Bother advertised perfect condition, blah blah blah. First one only had 102k on it.. Must have spent its life submerged in salt h2o, rusted frrame was in very bad shape. Rust had eaten it to the point where the frame was actually not completely connected in places.. Didn't even bother starting that one.

The 'Restored' Cj was in better shape, but not much. It was stated as having been fully restored. Yeah, well, not the case. What 'restoring' had been done was very under par. New paint was not much more than new paint. Very bad do-it-yourselfer paint job. Just, as you would expect, was past the point of saving, lots of bad bondo and fiberglas work, engine had a miss, sending unit in the tank was bad, and so on.. Didn't drive this one but it was left running when the seller pulled up to meet me..

So, I'm back in the market again, really looking for most anything good, reliable, and the like. Those two jeeps left a bad taste in my mouth. Jeeps are also over priced, and I was going a bit over my preferred budget. At 8.5k for the CJ I expected something in pretty good looking shape..
__________________
Cool stuff inserted here
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #69
Bart
Constant Lurker
 
Bart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Air Transport Central
Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Nope.

I grew up in the backseat of one of those. 69 -122 dark blue. One of the first made in Canada ones. Good memories.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gravity's Dog
"I came to the site for the bikes, and stayed for Jo Momma. I am constantly amazed, revolted, and in love with the ideas I see here. An extreme reflection of the human experience."
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #70
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvpierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 289
Hi Scottalot.

I was feeling a little uneasy recommending an 18-20 year old Volvo... but now you're on to 35 year old to Jeeps -- which by the way are another of my favorite vehicles.

I had a Jeep CJ-7... sold it a couple of years ago. Loved that vehicle, but it was only used as a summer fun-around vehicle, and to plow my driveway in the winter. The five years I had it, it was always garaged, it never saw rain, and was never driven on the road in the winter. It had a frame-off restoration, fiberglass tub/fenders to deal with body rust, Howell throttle body fuel injection to deal with crappy OEM carburetion, GM HEI ignition to deal with crappy OEM Autolite ignition, and a completely rebuilt 258 6 inline six that didn't burn a drop of oil. Even with all the "modern" upgrades, I would still not classify it as "daily-driver-reliable". (my wife definitely wouldn't! )

I don't know where Moncks Corner is in relation to you, but check out this car:

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/3620312084.html

This really does fit your criteria: simple, easy to work on, and very well made.
When you go to look at it, think "Swedish Pickup Truck". Just to be clear: there is no connection between a Volvo 940 and the FWD/AWD Volvos made after 1995. (BTW: the AWD cars are simply a FWD platform with a PTO for the rear drive.)
__________________
The laws of the road are superseded by the laws of physics.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #71
scottalot OP
Blank Space
 
scottalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chucktown
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
Hi Scottalot.

I was feeling a little uneasy recommending an 18-20 year old Volvo... but now you're on to 35 year old to Jeeps -- which by the way are another of my favorite vehicles.

I had a Jeep CJ-7... sold it a couple of years ago. Loved that vehicle, but it was only used as a summer fun-around vehicle, and to plow my driveway in the winter. The five years I had it, it was always garaged, it never saw rain, and was never driven on the road in the winter. It had a frame-off restoration, fiberglass tub/fenders to deal with body rust, Howell throttle body fuel injection to deal with crappy OEM carburetion, GM HEI ignition to deal with crappy OEM Autolite ignition, and a completely rebuilt 258 6 inline six that didn't burn a drop of oil. Even with all the "modern" upgrades, I would still not classify it as "daily-driver-reliable". (my wife definitely wouldn't! )

I don't know where Moncks Corner is in relation to you, but check out this car:

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/3620312084.html

This really does fit your criteria: simple, easy to work on, and very well made.
When you go to look at it, think "Swedish Pickup Truck". Just to be clear: there is no connection between a Volvo 940 and the FWD/AWD Volvos made after 1995. (BTW: the AWD cars are simply a FWD platform with a PTO for the rear drive.)

Wow, Thanks for the link and that is a good looking car.. LOL WHICH WOULD FIGURE as I just bought a vehicle today.. Can you guess what it is????? A VOLVO GOt a 1991 Volvo 240 Sedan. Not the wagon, but I do like it.. Actually, gotta say I love the dang thing.. Even better, got it for $1,300.00 !!! Has 170K miles, is tuned up, belts are good, runs fantastic, just needs a little TLC in the interior, a brake light buld or something as one is out, and other than that does great.. I'll post some pictures up after work tomorrow.. Really a very nice running Car and rides amazingly well and smoothe at regular speeds and 60 mph on a big ol' bridge.. I'm very excited, love the fact that it was so cheap ::cla p:cla p
__________________
Cool stuff inserted here
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #72
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvpierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 289
Sounds like you got a good one. The drive train on the 240, 740, and 940 are all the same. The 940s are much more resistant to rust than the 240s. That,s a huge factor in the northeast... not so much where you are. I alway liked the look of the 240s... particularly the sedans. Is yours an auto or 5 speed?
__________________
The laws of the road are superseded by the laws of physics.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #73
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 5,674
Congrats on the wise choice...love the 240s'...very durable and simplicity of design make them easy to work on...heres my 1990...

__________________

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #74
scottalot OP
Blank Space
 
scottalot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Chucktown
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
Sounds like you got a good one. The drive train on the 240, 740, and 940 are all the same. The 940s are much more resistant to rust than the 240s. That,s a huge factor in the northeast... not so much where you are. I alway liked the look of the 240s... particularly the sedans. Is yours an auto or 5 speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Congrats on the wise choice...love the 240s'...very durable and simplicity of design make them easy to work on...heres my 1990...



Thanks fellas, I really like it.. Its an automatic, I need to put a new radio in it as the one in there right now doesn't work.. That's ok though, a trip to Walmart and that will be handled.. I'm surprised the heat and A.C. even work in the darn thing.. Its just like the one in STBNE's pic, just not as Shiny or 'new' looking. White in color.. It was a Girl's car that had it through college and then while she worked for years. Her parents live out of town, and she felt she needed something newer for taking trips in.. I feel like the front brakes could use a little attention, not grinding or anything, but do for service. Other than that, oh and a radio, it runs and drives great..
Can you still but a regular old A.M./F.M. Radio deck without a CD player or bunch of bright come steal my lights all over it? I'm really not much of a CD person and can't see myself doing the MP3 player stuff either.. Just a regular old radio for some background noise is all I need.. That little clapper guy is me all happy and looking forward to driving the car to work this morning.. Because just my luck - its raining this morning and supposed to most the day.. Now, for once, I will have four wheels under me instead of two while I'm puddle jumping..
__________________
Cool stuff inserted here
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #75
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvpierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 289
For a radio, I'd go with one of these:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...933%7CL2*15025

Simple radio, no CD player... and I know you say you don't have much use for mp3s, but this has inputs in the front to accept any headphone output (from an mp3 player, phone, Walkman , etc.) if you ever need it. Plus it has a USB input on the front: just drag and drop files from any computer to a flash/thumb drive, and simply plug it into the front of your stereo. Pretty cool.

Did you get service records? If it hasn't been done recently, I'd flush the tranny, change the rear axle oil, and change the coolant. Those are three things that the previous owner likely would have overlooked if she was not a mechanical type.
__________________
The laws of the road are superseded by the laws of physics.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014