Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,524
Pissed Garmin Update!

I just spent 24 hours downloading the new maps for my Garmin 660 into Mapsource and when I tried to install it said Error installing maps please try again!

My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,975
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
I just spent 24 hours downloading the new maps for my Garmin 660 into Mapsource and when I tried to install it said Error installing maps please try again!
How fast is your internet connection?

With broadband (Roadrunner at 10 meg) I think mine ususally take about 30 to 45 minutes. I just set it up and walk away.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
DaveyMac
AARP Trail Rider

Oddometer: 172
Kurt, did you do it with Garmin Express ?
I had nothing but failures, Then I used old Garmin Map Updater = JOY.
If you need a copy pm me, I'll either e-mail it to you or open up a link to my Sky Drive.
Dave
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Finally got it loaded. I have DSL and usually the downloads take about 7 or 8 hours. This one took more than 24. Then it told me that my GPS did not have enough memory to hold the maps and I should use an SD card. I had an 8GB SD card loaded.

One question, though. I do have some OSM maps of Mexico and Central America loaded that I no longer need. Does anyone know how to delete a map set from the device?
My Travel Blog
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
Pissed

I often say that it's called "Garmin Lifetime Update" because it takes a lifetime to apply one update.

There is a bug when applying a new map that it tells you that there isn't enough room but if you delete the old map first, there is lots of room on the device. Pretty stupid that their utility isn't smart enough to figure that out.

Garmin needs to hire a few Apple people to work out their user friendliness issues.

You can manage old maps from Mapsource or by directly deleting them from the device.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
I go to the library where installs (to the GPS only) take only 3 or 4 hours. That does mean that I have to download Express each time before I download the updates, but at least a download is possible at the library. (That is, I use the library's Windows computer, not their wi-fi.)

Last time I did it the download froze with supposedly 15 minutes left, but a second try worked. About 5 hours total (and I consider myself lucky).

I have the same ISP and hardware as the NY billionaires down the road, but one tenth of a megabyte per second is the fastest I've seen here.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I often say that it's called "Garmin Lifetime Update" because it takes a lifetime to apply one update.

There is a bug when applying a new map that it tells you that there isn't enough room but if you delete the old map first, there is lots of room on the device. Pretty stupid that their utility isn't smart enough to figure that out.

Garmin needs to hire a few Apple people to work out their user friendliness issues.

You can manage old maps from Mapsource or by directly deleting them from the device.
Agreed!!!!!!
My Travel Blog
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I still can't figure out how to delete a mapset from the device. Anybody smarter than me?
My Travel Blog
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
Well, I just got Zumo 665LM and I have to say that compared to TomTom's Home, both Express and Garmin Map Updater completely blow... over an hour for a map update? Seriously?? And this is on a 20MB cable connection...

The best part was when I first installed Express it said I had two updates: 1) firmware 2.80 and 2) map update for North America (2013.40 I believe); however, after I did the firmware update I no longer got an update for the map. Moreover, the firmware still keeps showing as an "update" after I had already updated Zumo w/ it (??). On top of all this, once I launched Garmin Map Updater, I got a notification to "reinstall" NA map if I choose to do so (which I'm currently in the process of doing).

I still like the 665, but I honestly hope dropping almost $700 on a GPS is/was worth it (compared to cheaper options out there)...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I just spent 12 more hours updating with garmin Express. After 12 hours it told me I did not have enough space for the maps.

I have an 8GB microSD installed so I don't really know what the problem is. Any of you GPS gurus have any advice???
My Travel Blog
Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
I just spent 12 more hours updating with garmin Express. After 12 hours it told me I did not have enough space for the maps.

I have an 8GB microSD installed so I don't really know what the problem is. Any of you GPS gurus have any advice???
More than once I've gotten help from garmin customer service updating my 660. They have always been very helpful in getting their sucky software to work!
Corvette Manuals for sale
sonic578 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I have Lifetime Updater and it tells me my device is up to date. Garmin Express tells me it is out of date. You would think Garmin could get their shit together.

Garmin Express just showed up on my computer one day. I don't remember downloading and installing it.
My Travel Blog
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,975
Kurt, why use Express? It seems buggy and problematic, with no advantage.

I have some lifetime maps too, and I use Garmin Map Updater 3.1.19 and it works fine, allowing me to update both the GPS unit and my hard drive.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
BustinJustin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
+1 on using Map Update instead of Express. That's what Garmin support told me to use to fix corrupt maps as well. Seems that perhaps Express can't install maps from scratch or something where Map Update can.

Kurt, even though you installed the SD card that doesn't mean that the Garmin will use it. How much space do you have free on the SD and on the in-unit memory? You should be able to see this in Windows Explorer or Finder.

Remember that when you add the SD card it's a totally separate file system from the built-in memory on the unit (ie you can still easily be out of memory on the in-unit card even after adding an SD). I had to do some hacky stuff to get Map Update to install a map to a 16 GB card that I added.

Basically I deleted the map on the in-unit memory (using Finder on OS X), then had to trick Map Update into thinking the Garmin in-unit memory was full (Map Update, at least the version that I used would only give an option to install to an SD card when it thinks the in-unit memory is too full to handle it).

To trick Map Update I used a unix utility called "dd" to create a big, essentially blank file that I copied to the in-unit memory. Then the Garmin believed that the in-unit memory was full, and Map Update gave me an option to install to the SD card.

Finally after the install I deleted the big blank file that I created on the Garmin in-unit memory.

Now I have the map installed on the SD card (which still has lots of free space) and the Garmin in-unit memory also has lots of extra room to play with.

This is something the user really shouldn't have to do, but Garmin creates really bad software products. Hopefully they'll improve or Google will create a nice android-based GPS for us to play with in the future and kick Garmin out of the market. Good luck, let us know how you figure it out!
BustinJustin is offline   Reply With Quote