User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,534
Thanks, Bustin! That was just the info I was looking for. I removed the SD card and plugged it in strait and it was totally empty. Gonna play around with it and see what I can twiddle with.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
My Garmin manual says that my GPS cannot take more than a certain size of SD card (can't remember what it is from the top of my head). Like you it wasn't working and after the fact found the answer in the booklet after reading their FAQ on the garmin website. So sometimes bigger is not better ;)
Good luck.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSrider View Post
My Garmin manual says that my GPS cannot take more than a certain size of SD card (can't remember what it is from the top of my head). Like you it wasn't working and after the fact found the answer in the booklet after reading their FAQ on the garmin website. So sometimes bigger is not better ;)
Good luck.
Not sure which model you have, but the official Garmin response to Zumo 66x model is 8GB max. There was an update released a month or two ago that supposed to fix the SD card issue (it did) so I suggest you have the most recent firmware update installed. Most people I "talked to" are running 16 or 32GB card and I'm actually running 32GB myself in my Zumo 665LM without any problems (routes and MP3s).

As for automatic updates, I used Garmin Express and then switched to Garmin Map Updater v3.1.20. I think I had a better luck with Map Updater, but in all fairness, I didn't really give Express too much chance, because I stopped the update process since I thought it was taking too long (Updater took a long time as well) - learning pains, I suppose.

Also, I noticed that once you update your GPS with the most recent map/fw, it will take some time (not sure how many minutes/hours) for the server to update your status. So once you update your GPS, just let it reboot and don't hook it back to PC right away. Otherwise, if you hook it backup after the update, Garmin Express (and even Updater) will show that you have a new Firmware/Map update available, even though, you just updated it. Wait some time after the update, hook it up to the PC, run Express (mainly to back it up or you can do it manually) and the "new update available" message will disappear. Again, learning pains...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
Whenever it asks you where you want to install the maps always chose "install to computer" or something like that, you will probably have to go into setting to change this option. It will load the maps into mapsource or basecamp the you can use the map loading features in those programs to upload them into your GPS.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Whenever it asks you where you want to install the maps always chose "install to computer" or something like that, you will probably have to go into setting to change this option. It will load the maps into mapsource or basecamp the you can use the map loading features in those programs to upload them into your GPS.
I have selected install to computer and device. Maybe I should install to computer only and then use Mapsource to load the GPS.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #21
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
That's the way I've made it work the smoothest is to load to the computer then use basecamp to install to my device.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
swaanimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I had the same problems with Express until I unchecked the "Backup Data" selection. Then no problems.
'95 SUZ DR125SE (street legal)
swaanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #23
Beguile
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I was having trouble getting garmin express to load the new map to the sd card when it didn't fit on the unit itself.
The way i got it to work was, when it comes to the screen and tells you to insert a sd card, i had to take mine out and put it back in, when windows recognized the card, i clicked continue and it started loading to the card...

round about way to do it but it worked
Beguile is offline   Reply With Quote