ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Anyone near Dover / Ledgewood NJ?

I'm picking up my new bike at Trebour's on Saturday. I don't want to bother renting a trailer to pick it up, so I may just take the train out, which will get me as far as Dover, and I'll ride it home. Can anyone tell me the availability of cabs in the area, or have a # for one, to get me the last 5 miles? I tried Google, but most of the places that came up seem to be Limo companies catering to Proms, NYC trips, etc...

Thanks for any help!
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
jimmr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I'm picking up my new bike at Trebour's on Saturday. I don't want to bother renting a trailer to pick it up, so I may just take the train out, which will get me as far as Dover, and I'll ride it home. Can anyone tell me the availability of cabs in the area, or have a # for one, to get me the last 5 miles? I tried Google, but most of the places that came up seem to be Limo companies catering to Proms, NYC trips, etc...

Thanks for any help!
Call and ask if someone at Trebour can pick you up. I dropped my bike there once for stuff that
required it stay overnight, and someone there drove me to whatever the nearest train station is,
Mt Arlington I think, after I dropped it off.
jimmr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I dropped my sales guy an email asking, but I have a feeling that today was his day off. Hopefully I'll hear back from him tomorrow, but I'm trying to have a backup plan. Mt. Arlington is probably the closest station, but the train doesn't stop there on weekends, it seems...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,154
pretty sure there are cabs in dover....
Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulo View Post
pretty sure there are cabs in dover....
Thanks. I was pretty sure there were cabs in Lyndhurst that one New Years Eve I missed the last train to my normal station and decided to take a the train there, figuring I'd just catch a cab. But instead, I walked 4 miles in dress shoes at 4am in January back to my car....
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
NJjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
If you go here: http://www.dougandadrienne.info/njbus/indexnnj.html
and zoom in over Dover area you can see a few NJ transit bus routes. As you zoom in closer the route #'s appear.

You can than click the route # on the right hand side column for the schedule.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
here are a few but there are a lot that service that area

City Limo -(973) 328-1616

Dover Taxi - (973) 366-0800

Eagle Taxi - (973) 442-2443

First Class Taxi - (973) 343-7711
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. That was actually quite helpful. Unfortunately, none of the buses run anywhere near Trebour's. The 875 is the closest (within ~1 mile), but it only runs weekdays.

After a bunch of calls to various Taxi / Limo companies (why aren't they distinct in the phone listings), I did find one, and it's only a couple of bucks for the ride.

Thanks again for the help, though!

kjclark7 - We cross-posted, but thanks! I found Son & Father @ (973) 876-5750.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 476
Ill pm you my number. I live 15 minutes away & have no problem giving you a ride.

I can say, taxis in dover are a plenty....but don't hesitate to ring me...its not a big deal to drive you.

Casey
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Jersey riders helping each other out.

A trailer from Uhaul is only $15 if you decide to go that route
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 476
I think more importantly...what did you buy?
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the offer!

But now that I know I can grab a cab, I'll just do that. I just wasn't sure what the availability was for cabs out there since I couldn't find any 'taxi' listings... I called a couple of the places I did find and they were more 'limo' places that rented by the hour, etc....

Anyway, picking up my new Tiger 800 Roadie, Sapphire Blue, farkled up w/ bash plate, fog lights, crash bars, heated grips, and a few other minor goodies, plus got my Wolfman racks and another box of goodies in the garage from Twisted Throttle waiting to go on!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
lulo
Cochino Aventurero

Oddometer: 1,154
like i said...pretty sure there were cabs at the station , if your in the meadowlands your just down the road from me...if you want ill give you a ride up there but your going to have to ride bitch
Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
jimmr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
...and how is the new ride? Pics?
jimmr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

A couple more here: https://plus.google.com/photos/11241...KS3lcOIgZ-iswE

Walked into the dealer a little after 10am. I was greeted by the staff, handed my temporary registration, and they had my bike ready out back in a couple of minutes later. Looked great out in the sun! (I've only ever seen it indoors, and it was cloudy when I test-rode it last week). Got the sump guard, center stand, fog lights, heated grips, swing arm caps, aux electrical plug, the beak, tank guard and 50L bag. The 50L case looked huge on the bike! I proceeded to stuff the backpack I brought my gear in into it. I was really impressed how securely it held to the bike. I was thinking of getting a GlobeScout top case, but may reconsider... While waiting for the Service Manager to go over the bike with me, I had a nice chat with a gent named Bob who was having some service done on his Rocket III. After going over the basics with the SM, I was out of there!

Left the dealership at ~10:30 with the intention of wandering north on the county roads for a bit while getting used to the bike and maybe stopping for lunch at the Chatterbox before heading home to install a few after-market farkles later in the afternoon. Got up around Lake Hopatcong and ended up in a residential neighborhood with some rough roads. Not really where I wanted to be while getting used to the clutch. The suspension was doing a great job, but I was also getting nervous with the new tires. Before I could find my way back out to one of the larger 2-lane roads, I came upon a side street off to the right with a steep hill going up. I said to myself, "Let's see how this thing climbs", and proceeded to make the right at about 5mph, right through the wet gravel that had washed down to the base of the hill. which I didn't really see or think about while looking up at the hill. Took a nap 10 minutes and 5 miles into my first ride... Well, at least I got that over with... Picked up the bike, and except for a bent brake pedal, there doesn't seem to be any damage. I proceeded along in my original direction.

Rode some more random back roads for an hour or so before jumping on 15 and then 80, heading back towards home. I'm starting to really like the sound of this engine, even if it does sound like George Jetson's spacemobile! Once out on the highway, the buffeting around my head didn't seem as bad as it was when I test rode the bike. Maybe because it had something to do with the temperature / air pressure? I may experiment with a few things to try to further minimize this, but may end up with a Madstad shield. It was all I could do to keep the RPMs within the break-in guidelines, and was just cruising around 4k rpm and 60mph. Not that I really needed them, but I hit the heated grip button, and am not sure anything happened, but it could have just been the winter gloves I was wearing were too thick. I'll have to check them out later. One thing, though, with the OEM grip and fog light switches, it's not very obvious when they are 'On'.

After stopping for a quick lunch where I was somewhat disappointed by the new Cool Ranch Tacos at Taco Bell (especially after being pleasantly surprised by the original Nacho shell tacos), I brought her home for the first time. Spent some time installing the Barkbusters, SW-Motech heel guards, R&G axle sliders, and a RAM ball on the handlebars that will be the temporary home for my GPS until TT get's their act together and re-stocks the over-the-cluster unit. I tried getting it up on the center stand, but that wasn't working out, and with snow melting and my driveway wet and a little slick, I wasn't going to force the issue. Also had a set of Wolfman racks I was hoping to mount, but got lazy after looking at the instructions (plus, I needed to pick up some more LokTite), so I'll save them for next time.

Hopped back on and went out to run a few errands to see how the bike handles 'around town'. Still not quite sure how to work the clutch from a start, especially if I'm turning, making me take turns wider than I'd like. It seems like I need to get the RPMs higher than my previous bike. Just as I was getting home the fuel light came on, so I figured I'd fill up so it would be ready to go in the morning. Wow, is this bike awkward to fill! I heard about the 'bars' in the tank, but the shape of the fill just doesn't seem to be made for the nozzles here in NJ (with the vapor reclamation sleeves). Put 3 gallons in before the handle clicked, but managed to get another .9 gallons in, with the gas looking as if it was about to overflow the whole time. The SM said the light is 15-20 miles left, but the manual says there's 1.19 gallons left, so it sounds like the manual might be right. Does anyone use those McGard things to fill their bikes? I'm thinking with this bike, it may be worth the $20. BTW, this was with only 112 miles on the ODO, so I'm hoping that the dealer didn't actually fill the tank to full!

Re-reading this, I think I'm sounding a bit negative, but I think that's mostly because a few nagging things stuck out in my head, and they're what I remember writing this at the end of the day. Please don't take it the wrong way - I think I'm really going to like this bike! It was very comfortable, the engine seems like it will be great once I get used to the character of it and can open her up a bit, and I think it'll do everything I ask of it. Will put about 200 miles on it tomorrow, and am looking forward to many more with her.