ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #61
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer
 
DestinationUnknown's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: West TN
Oddometer: 85
Thanks for posting up this thread. I like seeing this type of idea as it goes along with the rest of this site, giving this site so much variety. I don't post a lot, as I mainly use this site for the endless ideas it provides in possible destinations.

I wanted to share even though I don't have a Suzuki. I currently ride a 2006 Honda CBR. It has seen commuting, trackdays, and is now what I use for traveling. I too find the position comfortable. In my case it's due to a recurring lower back problem, though nothing as serious as it sounds like you went through. I have soft luggage as saddlebags that are supported by brackets I made. I have a tailbag and tankbag for longer distance. I have heated grips for those chilly days and a seat cover for butt comfort. I rode from West TN to Daytona before. Wasn't too much discomfort, a little bit. I still have the stock bar and rearset position, though I am considering changing this slightly. The main thing I enjoy is the large tankbag as I lay against it and take almost all pressure off my arms. Little things like that can help a lot in the comfort area. Overall, these types of motorcycles can be fun if setup properly for distance. I am starting a trip in 2-3 weeks, leaving here and heading west for 6-8 weeks. I hope to post up and share my trip along the way.

Good luck in your modifications and future travels.

DestinationUnknown screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 10:23 AM
DestinationUnknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #62
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Tom-Nor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norway west coast
Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Don't know why you would be embarrassed to ride a sport bike. You have great handling and brakes, and light weight. Puts a cruiser to shame. Have ridden a couple of cruisers with the usual cow horn bars, and never felt in control. It's no wonder that in the last few years, now that there is a propensity of cruisers riding through Deals Gap, I tend to find the crashed bikes, are cruisers. Who in their right mind wants a bike weighing 800 plus lbs. that can't be leaned over, and is hard to control with stupid handle bars (flame away you cruiser riders). I have seen some decent cruiser riders riding through the Gap, but the majority of them shouldn't even be on the road their skill is so limited.
If you find a cruser to hard to control then you should get some driving lessons.
Comparing a cruser to a RR just shows that you have missed the point compleatly. And maybe the reason that crusers are the cheapest bikes to insure is becouse they dont crash as much?
Guess what a cruser is buildt for?......... CRUSING!!
You and JerryH has the same narrow minds.
__________________
Kawasaki ZZR1400(ZX14)
Tom-Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #63
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOE200 View Post
Sorry man. Looks like Facebook changed the links on me. I have fixed up all the images again :)

Here is a couple of my favourites.







Sjaak is my idol too !!!

Thi sis just one of his videos. Freakin amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThO-w9SCM8I

Also check out the Facebook page for his current Polar Ice project

https://www.facebook.com/R1SjaakPolarIceRide



Where is that road? KM sugests Canada so must be BC..
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #64
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ECN-ROL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
If you find a cruser to hard to control then you should get some driving lessons.
Comparing a cruser to a RR just shows that you have missed the point compleatly. And maybe the reason that crusers are the cheapest bikes to insure is becouse they dont crash as much?
Guess what a cruser is buildt for?......... CRUSING!!
You and JerryH has the same narrow minds.
Thanks for your input Sven. Your English isn't the greatest but I get the gist. On the other hand I don't speak or write Norwegian, so you are ahead of me on that point. To cover your points, I stated that I didn't feel in control, because of the poor handling of the cruisers I rode, not that I didn't know how to ride a bike.

In regards to cruisers being cheaper to insure than sport bikes, you may be right, but a number of companies such as State Farm, go by the c.c. rating, not by performances aspects. I beg to differ in regards to cruisers crashing less. Right now the baby boomers in North America are buying bikes, and they are mainly buying cruisers, and crashing more than they ever did. A guy not having ridden a bike for 20 plus years and trying to handle a 900 lb. plus bike, does not make for a good combination.

I can understand that a cruiser is designed for cruising, but it is still a motorcycle, and should handle reasonably well, otherwise what is the point of riding a motorcycle!

You can correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the traffic laws in Norway are so strict when it comes to speeding, with very heavy fines and penalties, making sport bikes expensive to insure. I suspect that is why you ride a cruiser rather than a sport bike, simple economics. What's the point of riding a sport bike where everyone has to ride slow. A cruiser makes more sense.

I don't have a narrow mind, just a firm belief that cruisers are not the way to go when it comes to riding.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #65
Ghost_
n00b
 
Ghost_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Wales, UK
Oddometer: 1
Thumb

I've got a K6 600, and while I don't do a lot of touring I do occasionally do a trip up to the north of England to visit a mate, and did a 21hr trip once (for charity ).

Some of the best things I did to make the bike better for travel;
Fitted a Puig Double Bubble Screen (easily best money spent), Renthal Soft Compound Grips and use Kriega Luggage (US10 & US20 tailpacks + metal hook fasteners).

I've also made up lengths of garden hose packed with lead shot and taped up, which are stuffed into the clip-ons to kill the vibes through the bars. I use a ram mount in the fork stem with a waterproof bag (the name escapes me at the moment) which holds my phone (Galaxy S2) and a backup battery so its good for 8hrs using the GPS bluetoothed to my lid.

I'm on my second set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs, and they've been a great sport/touring tyre. I got about 8.5-9k out of the last rear and while a lot of that is commuting, I do have at least one 'spirited' ride on the weekends on mountain roads to stop them squaring off too quickly. They're fantastic in the wet as well, which we get plenty of. I'll probably try the Pilot Road 3s next.


I'm 5'10 and the bike is great for me, worst thing is the tank range (about 100miles).

Ghost_ screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:34 AM
Ghost_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #66
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Tom-Nor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norway west coast
Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Thanks for your input Sven. Your English isn't the greatest but I get the gist. On the other hand I don't speak or write Norwegian, so you are ahead of me on that point. To cover your points, I stated that I didn't feel in control, because of the poor handling of the cruisers I rode, not that I didn't know how to ride a bike.

In regards to cruisers being cheaper to insure than sport bikes, you may be right, but a number of companies such as State Farm, go by the c.c. rating, not by performances aspects. I beg to differ in regards to cruisers crashing less. Right now the baby boomers in North America are buying bikes, and they are mainly buying cruisers, and crashing more than they ever did. A guy not having ridden a bike for 20 plus years and trying to handle a 900 lb. plus bike, does not make for a good combination.

I can understand that a cruiser is designed for cruising, but it is still a motorcycle, and should handle reasonably well, otherwise what is the point of riding a motorcycle!

You can correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the traffic laws in Norway are so strict when it comes to speeding, with very heavy fines and penalties, making sport bikes expensive to insure. I suspect that is why you ride a cruiser rather than a sport bike, simple economics. What's the point of riding a sport bike where everyone has to ride slow. A cruiser makes more sense.

I don't have a narrow mind, just a firm belief that cruisers are not the way to go when it comes to riding.
I ride a ZX14 not a cruser, but my first bike was a cruser and even tough i liked it a lot, i sold it after one summer and bought a Triumph Sprint ST955i becouse i wanted somthing sportier.
In Norway and probely most of the world insurance companies base theyr prices on statistics and value of the bike/car and her in Norway Harley Davidson is the cheapest brand to insure, by far.
And yes if you get cought speeding her i Norway you will get death penalty.

Ther is no bikes that are better to cruse around with then a cruser and thats the point of them, if you drive them like a RR bike you have missed the point.
Thers nothing wrong about not likeing it, but going out and saying that theyr pointless becouse you dont like them is as narrow minded as JerryH going out and saying that RR bikes are useless to drive outside tracks.
__________________
Kawasaki ZZR1400(ZX14)
Tom-Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #67
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ECN-ROL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
I ride a ZX14 not a cruser, but my first bike was a cruser and even tough i liked it a lot, i sold it after one summer and bought a Triumph Sprint ST955i becouse i wanted somthing sportier.
In Norway and probely most of the world insurance companies base theyr prices on statistics and value of the bike/car and her in Norway Harley Davidson is the cheapest brand to insure, by far.
And yes if you get cought speeding her i Norway you will get death penalty.

Ther is no bikes that are better to cruse around with then a cruser and thats the point of them, if you drive them like a RR bike you have missed the point.
Thers nothing wrong about not likeing it, but going out and saying that theyr pointless becouse you dont like them is as narrow minded as JerryH going out and saying that RR bikes are useless to drive outside tracks.
I didn't say cruisers were pointless, but I don't see the point of a 800 lb. plus bike that doesn't handle. There could be an argument that a XZ14 in a country where "And yes if you get cought speeding her i Norway you will get death penalty" might be pointless.

I don't ride my GSXR1000 in Canada where I live (it's a bit pointless), and haven't done so for a few years. The bike is too fast for our speed laws, making it too easy to exceed the speed limits and thereby suffering high fines, plus increased bike insurance. I use it in the U.S. where the roads are twistier and I don't ride it as fast. My daily ride is a VFR which is a good touring bike, has plenty of power but is not manic like a GSXR1000.

Your ZX14 is a heavy big bike. But, it has great handling and brakes, as opposed to a big heavy cruiser which has lousy handling. There is the difference!
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #68
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer
 
Tom-Nor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Norway west coast
Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
but I don't see the point of a 800 lb. plus bike that doesn't handle.
So your saying that crusers are not pointless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Your ZX14 is a heavy big bike. But, it has great handling and brakes, as opposed to a big heavy cruiser which has lousy handling. There is the difference!
And agein, your comparing appels and oranges.
Of course the brakes are better on a sports bike and thats becouse it requires better breaks to get the bike from 180++mph to zero fast.
The Honda VF700 Magna i tired had awfull breaks compeard to my Yamaha Dragstar1100, but then agein a lot, if not all sports bikes from the 80`s hade shity breaks.
I never feelt that the breaks on my dragstar1100 wher not enough and i didnt feel it on the Warrior or the VTX1800 i have tested.
But if i go from my ZX14 and straight back to my old Star, id probebly feel that the breaks wher week, but thats just a mind adjustment thats required. If your coming from a sports bike to a cruser you have to reset your driving habits. To treat a cruser as a sportsbike is just plain stupid.

But we will never come to an agrement and we are way way offtopic now.
__________________
Kawasaki ZZR1400(ZX14)
Tom-Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #69
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ECN-ROL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
So your saying that crusers are not pointless?
But we will never come to an agrement and we are way way offtopic now.

Of course we can't come to an agreement, but I think that is because you are somewhat narrow minded in your thinking.

Remember: Just because you think you are right, doesn't make me wrong.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #70
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer
 
gixxersteph's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Northern NJ, land of the SUV
Oddometer: 621
Oh I want to add some fuel to this fire

Tom-Nor. Why did you abandon cruisers if they are so wonderful?



To each their own, here is my take.

Cruisers do not handle or maneuver as well as sport bikes. I am pretty comfortable in making that BOLD statement. They are also uncomfortable for ME to ride. Furthermore, for real world riding, sport bikes aren't as easy to maneuver as standards.

I loved my GSXR 1000 but the seating position was murder on my wrists. I put on tubular bars and as far as I am concerned it was the best handling bike I ever owned. Not as comfortable or as flickable as my SuperDuke, but overall better.

That's my vote, Mr ZX14 rider.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #71
7days1shower
Gnarly Adventurer
 
7days1shower's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Where is that road? KM sugests Canada so must be BC..
These are from the state of NSW in Australia. I am from Sydney :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_ View Post
I've got a K6 600, and while I don't do a lot of touring I do occasionally do a trip up to the north of England to visit a mate, and did a 21hr trip once (for charity ).

Some of the best things I did to make the bike better for travel;
Fitted a Puig Double Bubble Screen (easily best money spent), Renthal Soft Compound Grips and use Kriega Luggage (US10 & US20 tailpacks + metal hook fasteners).

I've also made up lengths of garden hose packed with lead shot and taped up, which are stuffed into the clip-ons to kill the vibes through the bars. I use a ram mount in the fork stem with a waterproof bag (the name escapes me at the moment) which holds my phone (Galaxy S2) and a backup battery so its good for 8hrs using the GPS bluetoothed to my lid.

I'm on my second set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs, and they've been a great sport/touring tyre. I got about 8.5-9k out of the last rear and while a lot of that is commuting, I do have at least one 'spirited' ride on the weekends on mountain roads to stop them squaring off too quickly. They're fantastic in the wet as well, which we get plenty of. I'll probably try the Pilot Road 3s next.


I'm 5'10 and the bike is great for me, worst thing is the tank range (about 100miles).
Great post !!

I wanted to get a RAM mount for my upcoming trip but Im short on time before I leave so I'll just rely on good old paper maps :(. Great ideas on the grips and vibration reduction though.

Also I think the arguements of cruiser vs sports needs to be cut back.

I think this thread has great potential for tips and ideas to be shared on how we can tour on our SUPERSPORTS

Oh and....before I had a nasty crash on track (same bike) this is what my (now) tourer used to do.....KICK R1 ASS :P




Have any of you guys looked into sump/header protection like the adventure bikes have?? We really don't have much in the way of ground clearance :/
7days1shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #72
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
I didn't say cruisers were pointless, but I don't see the point of a 800 lb. plus bike that doesn't handle. There could be an argument that a XZ14 in a country where "And yes if you get cought speeding her i Norway you will get death penalty" might be pointless.

I don't ride my GSXR1000 in Canada where I live (it's a bit pointless), and haven't done so for a few years. The bike is too fast for our speed laws, making it too easy to exceed the speed limits and thereby suffering high fines, plus increased bike insurance. I use it in the U.S. where the roads are twistier and I don't ride it as fast. My daily ride is a VFR which is a good touring bike, has plenty of power but is not manic like a GSXR1000.

Your ZX14 is a heavy big bike. But, it has great handling and brakes, as opposed to a big heavy cruiser which has lousy handling. There is the difference!
The size of your chicken strips, you might as well be on a cruiser
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #73
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alohagirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Fortuna, CA
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I had one of those on a Buell Thunderbolt that I toured on for a few years. It is a good system.
Cool
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alohagirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Fortuna, CA
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
My main man Stud-SIN has no problem grinding out a 700 mi day on a stock GSXR 750. ('til the cops get him! )
.......

I know a gurl who used ta ride a duc.

700 miles on a stock 750.... I want to see SIN in action; and/or follow him for a day!

What kind of crazy girl tours on a Hypermotard?? She must be some kind of psycho... hey, wait a minute....... she looks kinda familiar..... ...

Are you and SIN coming to Fortuna in June? If so, I'll get my canoe :
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #75
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alohagirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Fortuna, CA
Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I have 50k on my SV1000R and had to give it up due to neck problems.

There is a gal in my favorite riding group that has a 2007 GSXR 750. I still remember her passing me in the twisties about 70 mph 5 years ago.

There is so much out there (especially on these forums) that can make the ride so much more comfortable. You will be just fine.
Thank you, kind sir
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014