User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Clockwork Orange OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
KTM 950 ADV blocked jets

My bike has been standing for some time and it appears that the carb jets are blocked. Took the bike to a local bike shop for them to clean the jets out and a lot of money later I coulod collect the bike which ran fine for a day or so.

Tried starting her up again today and it runs on the choke but as soon as I ease the choke of sit dies. Removed the airfilter and while it was running on the choke I sprayed the carb cleaner into the air intake. I am now able to rev the bike off choke but still have to keep the revs pretty high or it just cuts out. It is running really rough though with lotsa backfiring.

Can anyone give me a step for step guide on removing the carbs and cleaning out the jets myself. Cant afford to pay someone to do this again at the moment. Or any other advise would be hugely appreciated.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 235
You'll find a really good write up at the KTM Halls of Wisdom site.

You may need to purge the bike of bad fuel before continuing...

Also, spraying carb cleaner down the intake does nothing good for you or the bike.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
the repair manual has a good section about this.
What you have is the pilot jet clogged (is the jet with the number 42 stamped), it seems to me that they did clean the carbs, but maybe you have some debris either in the tanks or something around it (maybe the bottom of the carb was dirty and they didn't clean it, dunno).

If you get the manual, and you take notes of everything as you take it apart nothing bad should happend.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,329
I ve found the following to work when repeated cleanings didn't...

Remove the pilot jets and soak them in a cleaner such as Sea Foam for about 30 minutes or so. Then use a very tin wire to run through the smallest holes in the jets. The wire should fit without force, you don't want to force it through at all. Simply running a small wire back and forth a few times in each hole is the key.

Reinstall the jets now and enjoy your perfectly running bike again.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
If you read the Mikuni/Sudco manual about carburetors, they specifically say not to push wire through the jets. Brass is pretty soft, mild steel, stainless steel, in fact nearly all wires are harder than the brass, and could potentially open things up. Some people are going to argue with that.

My local dealer uses an ultra sonic cleaner like the dentist uses to clean jets, works really well. The newest gas formulations seem to goober up pretty quick when left sitting, sometimes it seems like less than 1 month.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,024
Mine did the same thing. Replaced the pilot jets and it runs great
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Also, spraying carb cleaner down the intake does nothing good for you or the bike.
What is the "nothing good for you" part of the above? Unless you have your head next to the intake, I'm not understanding what you are saying, or are you just saying it's pointless? ..... Now, "not good for the bike", that's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I ve found the following to work when repeated cleanings didn't...

Remove the pilot jets and soak them in a cleaner such as Sea Foam for about 30 minutes or so. Then use a very tin wire to run through the smallest holes in the jets. The wire should fit without force, you don't want to force it through at all. Simply running a small wire back and forth a few times in each hole is the key.
Or just buy 2 new pilot jets. They are not that expensive and it'll seem positively cheap if you don't correctly clean them and have to take everything apart again. For sure, ditch the old gas, fully drain the carbs and start again with fresh.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
If you read the Mikuni/Sudco manual about carburetors, they specifically say not to push wire through the jets. Brass is pretty soft, mild steel, stainless steel, in fact nearly all wires are harder than the brass, and could potentially open things up. Some people are going to argue with that.

Not gonna argue but will state I've had good luck with a strand of copper wire. Various sizes available. Most of it in the smaller gages is pretty flimsy. Just strip off some insulation and bend a strand over to gingerly run through. Granted, haven't had to on the 950 but on several other carbs. YMMV.

Agree on the pilot jet diagnosis, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Or just buy 2 new pilot jets. They are not that expensive and it'll seem positively cheap if you don't correctly clean them and have to take everything apart again...
There's that.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote