Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
tips on buying a KLR650......

..... asside from NOT buying one.

i'm hoping like crazy that the guy coming to check my Ninja out buys it. theres a local guy with a '07 with a couple of extra tidbits for sale. his ad says nothing about the doohickey and i dont see a thermobob in the pics.

otherwise, judging by the pics alone, it looks very clean... and maybe in need of a front tire at least.

any pointers?
tips?
things to be alert for?

whether i buy this one or buy another one, i'm on the hunt for the KLR to buy as soon as the ZX7 is sold. :)
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,804
Don't do it! Just kidding!

I'd certainly ask about the doohickey & whether it has been changed. I bought an '02 with 3600 miles on it...in Feb of '08. I changed the oil, adjusted the doohickey, and all was fine. Did so again @ 9,000. @ 10K, in prep for a trip to AK, I did the EM upgrade, and the spring was broken. Glad I didn't try to adjust it again! FWIW, my KLR has given me 41K+ trouble free miles, and doesn't use a measurable amount of oil between changes.

Also look at the subframe bolts...known weak point. I'd recommend Eagle Mike's subframe bolt upgrade kit. He makes a ton of GREAT stuff! I have done the TBob, and am happy I did so.

What is the mileage and asking price? What sort of goodies has he added to the bike? And good luck!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post

i'm hoping like crazy that the guy coming to check my Ninja out buys it.

Good luck with your Ninja sale.

I have heard that the earlier KLRs which were 100%
Japan-built are more desirable, but I could be wrong
about that. I certainly am not the person to ask about
KLR detail differences. One thing is certain, there are a
lot of KLRs out there so if one KLR deal doesn't pan out
another one will.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
..... asside from NOT buying one.

i'm hoping like crazy that the guy coming to check my Ninja out buys it. theres a local guy with a '07 with a couple of extra tidbits for sale. his ad says nothing about the doohickey and i dont see a thermobob in the pics.

otherwise, judging by the pics alone, it looks very clean... and maybe in need of a front tire at least.

any pointers?
tips?
things to be alert for?

whether i buy this one or buy another one, i'm on the hunt for the KLR to buy as soon as the ZX7 is sold. :)
Insist on Eagle Mike. I just picked up mine 3 weeks ago bone stock and have done the subframe bolts, the doohickey and Meier guards (if you are going to do some questionable offloading). Fun bikes for sure. Just be patient and find the good one.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
07 was the last of the gen1 style so I like 'em. Just look the bike over for signs of maintenance, good or bad. Signs of being stored outside, i.e. rust, badly faded plastics, etc. Ask non-chalantly if he has ever run it low on oil, listen closely to it running, if you don't know what a KLR normally sounds like it is tough but listen closely to the left side casing where the balancer chain is for suspect noises of a sloppy chain..... Look at the chain and sprockets for wear and if they look normal for mileage, that can tell you whether he likes to keep up on maintenance or just rides the hell out of it. Only takes a couple of minutes to pull the oil filter and take a look at that too... Taking a compression tester with you is also a great idea. All these things give you bargaining power. Last but not least, unless it is a smokin' hot deal, never give him what he is asking....
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
True never give them what they are asking!
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 136
KLR love

Basic things that require a face-to-face like how many miles, how old(the rider too!), what maintenance was done, what unusual noises there may be, what mods were done that might indicate a hard service life, indication of leaking of bodily fluids. These might be hard to quantify but 1+1+1+1=4. Then the big KLR disappointments would be was it run low on oil or drowned or stomped on by zombies or DSPO's. A definitive would be a peek at the valve cam journals(20-30 minutes for a decent wrench but maybe impossible due to situation), really unusual noises for a KLR(youtube has some interesting vids/comments), a mismash of appearance that might only be judgmental. These things are based on my purchase of a used KLR that I still have 5 years later and love, me as a wrench at least on this bike because it's so easy, and mods/farkles I've done that almost equal the purchase price. Still love my pig. 'Entertain' yourself at KLR650.net and read up.
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Agreed. The .net site is good for noobs, some good info over there but also alot of politics and smoke screens.... EM is their saving grace and have the utmost respect for him and his products. After you glean all the info from there, earn your rite of passage and c'mon back here to a great bunch of guys!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
the bike is supposed to have 13,000 miles on it.

as for mods... the only ones he mentions are not even installed. an add-on fairing, a corbin, some soft throw-over saddle bags and another that looks like a large tank bag. what isn't mentioned is what looks like some form of engine guard with some highway pegs on it.

south east isnt known for much of an adventure-mecca... but about all i can see out of pics is that it "might" need a front tire. i plan on hitting him up with the hard questions later. based on what he put in the add, it looks like he may have been using it as a daily ride.

believe me, i've been doing my research here and on both of the dedicated KLR sites. mainly lurking.... but alot of reading. if the guy doesnt know what a "doohickey" is... we're gonna talk.

just waiting to see what the guy coming tonite says. just washed the ninja off and laid a coat of wax on it..... dang she was shining out there.

oh well.......... (fingers crossed)
the wife can't believe i'm selling it. hahahaha
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

13K is nothing, but due for a valve check especially if it didn't get in for it's 4000 mi check up.... It's good he has an aftermarket seat, anything is an improvement on the stocker... YIKES! You will inevitably drink the farkle kool-aid and the possibilities are endless. Have fun and good luck with your new to you KLR, whichever one you buy.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,368
I think road_apple hit it pretty well.

Most owners have no idea what a doohickey or thermobob is. (We on ADV and other forums may make enough noise to sound like a majority, but we're not.) Many doohickeys don't grenade so people don't need to know. If it HAS grenaded then YOU'LL know.

Mine was listed at such a low price that I half expected a problem, but tires, doohickey, choke retainer, and valve shims were the only real needs for the first many miles. Unless you count unmolested stock muffler, luggage rack, and the many other changes that I wanted.

All bikes need work eventually, and I'm always prepared to work on them.

Any bike can be run low on oil, but some KLRs use it fast enough to make it a point to listen to the top.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

If your balancer chain becomes so loose and worn it "grenades", there has been an issue for quite some time prior to the calamity. Truth is, if the chain is not kept at a nominal tension it causes premature wear to all related parts long before failure.
Anyone who doesn't know about the engineering defects of their particular steed has not done their needed homework and is more cause for concern. Case in point, highway pegs leads you to believe he has taken it on long journeys. Someone ambivalent to the KLRs oil needs and lack of tolerance to low oil levels could easily run it low on oil, cause damage to the right exhaust journal, not to the point of failure but damage none the less.
So in short I disagree. Those that are ignorant to the facts are far more likely to overlook needed maintenance and be aware of potential problems.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Great post. Hope you can score that bike and it works for you.

I am a fellow KLR addict. I have a 2009.

Couple of us did the doo's. In both cases (15,000 miles or quite a bit less), we cracked em open and you could remove the stock doo spring with your fingers (no tension). For the price of a gasket set, even if the guy says the doo was done, pull it apart and assure yourself it's been done, and then switch it to the "torsion" spring (clock spring) vs. the stock spring.

Also, a rider chum of mine broke two of the convention Eagle Mike springs. The standard springy ones. EM was cool about it, long story short, get the TORSION spring and don't complicate yourself by messing even with EM coil springs. His stuff top notch, but our riding group has migrated to the torsion spring.

You don't ever want to see this..... guess where the missing piece goes? into yer oil!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Everything you need to know about KLRs

Right here on the FAQ

If it has had most any maintenance at all it should be just fine. KLRs are dead simple and no where near as fussy as four cylinder bikes built to exacting tolerances.

Lots of support out there. Plenty of tech days and folks who will loan you tools. Check out the DSN_KLR650 site on Yahoo.

As in any bike purchase patience is a virtue. These things are not rare, if this one doesn't inspire confidence, wait for another.

Oh, and don't bother with a compression tester as all that would do is tell you whether the compression release (for ease of starting) is working.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

You don't ever want to see this..... guess where the missing piece goes? into yer oil!

Which is why you want a magnetic drain plug!