Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Best part of a KLR is you can practically rebuild the entire bike in a weekend. If there are any issues with it, don't walk away, just use it to get the price down. That is if you are comfortable working on the bike.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Right here on the FAQ

If it has had most any maintenance at all it should be just fine. KLRs are dead simple and no where near as fussy as four cylinder bikes built to exacting tolerances.

Lots of support out there. Plenty of tech days and folks who will loan you tools. Check out the DSN_KLR650 site on Yahoo.

As in any bike purchase patience is a virtue. These things are not rare, if this one doesn't inspire confidence, wait for another.

Oh, and don't bother with a compression tester as all that would do is tell you whether the compression release (for ease of starting) is working.

Good luck.
I stand corrected on the compression test. My KACR is removed and kinda forgot about it. I thought there was some info on how to run one with the KACR intact but can't find it. A leakdown is the only other option and he probably won't let you dismember his bike in the driveway.....

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 01:15 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
thanks for the tips, guys. i do appreciate the suggestions.

good news is... the guy came tonight and bought the ZX7.... only sacrificed $100 on the deal. Not too shabby I think.

the less-good news... owner of the KLR didn't return my call. Oh well. till he does, i'm shopping.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #19
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
Plenty of them out there, just be patient. Scour the classifieds here; I bought both of my bikes from inmates and got great deals.

If the 'doo ain't done, use it as a negotiating tool. I wouldn't not buy one just because it's not been changed. EM makes it easy with his how-to and is usually only a phone call away to help. I sponsored a tech day at my garage and we did two of them...I've since done at least two more for other guys. After the first one they are super easy. I can usually find someone to borrow the special tools from.

These bikes are so simple to work on (aside from the PITA valve adjustment, which rarely needs actual tinkering with) the only task I didn't do on mine was change tires. Have a riding buddy who does that for free!

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #20
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

trying to be patient. :)

i've got several ads printed.... been waiting patiently all night to make some calls. lmao
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,250
I attended a tech day at Happy Trails a year ago. About 15 bikes. One broken doo spring.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
an '07 with 13k miles? i hope he isn't asking more than 2250...

there was a mint 07 for sale near me with 2500 miles for $2800. i almost bought it just to keep in my garage it was so clean... look around. there are literally dozens for sale in every city at any given time.
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

that guy is asking a lot more than that. i've had some time to cool my heels a little. i have found several '08's for $3500 with varying levels of information. sadly, there is one within a 130 miles of me. he isnt returning the messages i left. there are several others, but they're all 4+ hours away. i found one guy who actually travels up my way fairly often, and he is offering to meet part way. problem with him is that he doesnt know jack about the bike. i'm guessing that he's into the business of buying/selling bikes.

i probably have 4 hours worth of searching last night alone... i didn't get ANYTHING done at work. lol....

b1pig screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 01:23 PM
Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #24
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Plenty of them out there, just be patient. Scour the classifieds here; I bought both of my bikes from inmates and got great deals.

If the 'doo ain't done, use it as a negotiating tool. I wouldn't not buy one just because it's not been changed. EM makes it easy with his how-to and is usually only a phone call away to help. I sponsored a tech day at my garage and we did two of them...I've since done at least two more for other guys. After the first one they are super easy. I can usually find someone to borrow the special tools from.

These bikes are so simple to work on (aside from the PITA valve adjustment, which rarely needs actual tinkering with) the only task I didn't do on mine was change tires. Have a riding buddy who does that for free!
I can verify this.
He helped me with my doo.
(He pretty much did all the work while I handed him stuff) LOL
Thanks again Dwight!

I have the tools if anyone needs to borrow them.
Oh. And get the torsion spring from Eagle Mike when you buy his kit.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
that guy is asking a lot more than that. i've had some time to cool my heels a little. i have found several '08's for $3500 with varying levels of information. sadly, there is one within a 130 miles of me. he isnt returning the messages i left. there are several others, but they're all 4+ hours away. i found one guy who actually travels up my way fairly often, and he is offering to meet part way. problem with him is that he doesnt know jack about the bike. i'm guessing that he's into the business of buying/selling bikes.

i probably have 4 hours worth of searching last night alone... i didn't get ANYTHING done at work. lol....
Be careful about the 08 models.
MySPOT
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #26
b1pig OP
Studly Adventurer

Mission Accomplished!

from this:

to this:

'08 650 with corbin, dirt tires, some supports for soft luggage, happy trails windscreen bracket with what looks like a double-bubble style screen, heated grips... and in the back of the van, some soft saddle bags, a set of street tires and the original seat.

125mi ride home on it today. other than being half deaf from the roar of the dirt tires... a good ride. all fluids were in great shape (oil not "too new"), chain seemed well adjusted, fork seals good. no real signs of being down. nothing broken.

other than the PO having the handle bars cranked forward making the controls a little awkward/uneven... excellent ride home. you can even see how the bars are rolled forward in the pic.. lol

thanks for the tips in the thread. i appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #27
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post

'08 650 with corbin, dirt tires, some supports for soft luggage, happy trails windscreen bracket with what looks like a double-bubble style screen, heated grips... and in the back of the van, some soft saddle bags, a set of street tires and the original seat.

125mi ride home on it today. other than being half deaf from the roar of the dirt tires... a good ride. all fluids were in great shape (oil not "too new"), chain seemed well adjusted, fork seals good. no real signs of being down. nothing broken.

other than the PO having the handle bars cranked forward making the controls a little awkward/uneven... excellent ride home. you can even see how the bars are rolled forward in the pic.. lol

thanks for the tips in the thread. i appreciate it.
Do you know if this bike had the recall done?
Remember, the 08 models were oil burners.
MySPOT
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Do you know if this bike had the recall done?
Remember, the 08 models were oil burners.
They were hit or miss with burning oil. Everything I've read shows it was really random, break-in procedures from each end of the spectrum having no real change on whether they smoked or not. I bought mine with 7K on the ticker. It wouldn't burn any noticeable amount in my normal commute, but over 400 straight highway miles it would burn about a half quart+. Just keep a good eye on the oil level. The easy fix is the 685 kit, which you should be thinking about anyway. It smooths out the motor in a big way.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Hessian42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
You just bought yourself a headache. should have gone 2007 and under.

got my mint 99 with 4k miles for $2000. rode it across the country and put 10k in one shot and not a drop of burned oil or any problems.

good luck

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
They were hit or miss with burning oil. Everything I've read shows it was really random, break-in procedures from each end of the spectrum having no real change on whether they smoked or not. I bought mine with 7K on the ticker. It wouldn't burn any noticeable amount in my normal commute, but over 400 straight highway miles it would burn about a half quart+. Just keep a good eye on the oil level. The easy fix is the 685 kit, which you should be thinking about anyway. It smooths out the motor in a big way.
I believe were there were a specific amount based on the VIN that had the problems.
I don't believe they were hit or miss.
Even if they were hit or miss, all the more reason to ask about the recall.
Or ask if the 685 was done.
I wouldn't have risked it on an 08 unless I knew the recall was done or upgrade to a 685 was done.
MySPOT