ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: So. Mississippi
Oddometer: 98
BMW Headlight guard-2013 GS WC

Just got the snap on headlight guard by BMW. Bought from A&S Cycles, thing came with the guard and a bag full of parts, no instructions. Have just emailed A&S, but was wondering if anybody else has installed this shield and can tell me where I might find instructions online. Thanks...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 122
MaxBMW

MaxBMW has a part diagram. That may help you solve how it goes together.
__________________
2014 R1200GSW
alaninsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: So. Mississippi
Oddometer: 98
Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsea View Post
MaxBMW has a part diagram. That may help you solve how it goes together.
Thanks for the response. Checked them this morning, they've got every thing but that. I have the parts laid out (20pcs.!), I will try later and see if I can do anything with them. Somebody probably just picked up the shield, grabbed a pack of parts and threw the whole thing in a box. I don't know if it's just me, but I swear it seems like I'm encountering more incompetence this year than any other time...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaddy View Post
Thanks for the response. Checked them this morning, they've got every thing but that. I have the parts laid out (20pcs.!), I will try later and see if I can do anything with them. Somebody probably just picked up the shield, grabbed a pack of parts and threw the whole thing in a box. I don't know if it's just me, but I swear it seems like I'm encountering more incompetence this year than any other time...
I just ordered the lightbar from BMW and same issue. Easy enough to figure out, but would have liked an installation diagram.

bren debating between the BMW and Touratech Lightguard. Let me know how you lit it
__________________
2014 R1200GSW
alaninsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsea View Post
MaxBMW has a part diagram. That may help you solve how it goes together.
Start with: "The thigh bone is connected to the knee bone"...

 photo 2013R1200gswheadlightguards.png
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: S.E. Michigan
Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Start with: "The thigh bone is connected to the knee bone"...

Fancy piece of equipment there. Do they make a protector for it?
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: So. Mississippi
Oddometer: 98
Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Start with: "The thigh bone is connected to the knee bone"...

 photo 2013R1200gswheadlightguards.png

Thanks for the diagram, helped me put it together, now I just have to figure out how the part with the grommets fits. It seems to go under the existing head light, i'm just not sure how it gets under there. I don't think I'm going to remove the headlight to get it in. If they can't provide me with installation instructions I'll just return the whole thing and buy a simpler one from Touratec. Although i'll admit, it would be nice to be able to just pop that thing off and on for cleaning...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,221
I would call BMW customer service (with the part number) of the headlight guard and see if they will email or fax you the installation instruction documents, it's things like this that are the primary reason behind having a customer service department.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: So. Mississippi
Oddometer: 98
Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I would call BMW customer service (with the part number) of the headlight guard and see if they will email or fax you the installation instruction documents, it's things like this that are the primary reason behind having a customer service department.
Just sent them an e-mail, we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaddy View Post
Just sent them an e-mail, we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted...

I honest to God don't think they respond to emails.
I'd pick up the phone, the one time I called BMW I was through to a live person in under a minute.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: So. Mississippi
Oddometer: 98
Sounds about right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I honest to God don't think they respond to emails.
I'd pick up the phone, the one time I called BMW I was through to a live person in under a minute.
Called them, they know nothing. Turns out the item came from a northern CA BMW dealer, so I will call them Tuesday, see what they have to say. Already sent an email requesting info/help. No response as of yet...
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
bimmer5891
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaddy View Post
Called them, they know nothing. Turns out the item came from a northern CA BMW dealer, so I will call them Tuesday, see what they have to say. Already sent an email requesting info/help. No response as of yet...
Well I have an answer but no one will like it...BMW accessories no longer come with installation instructions. They must be obtained separately from the dealer. I would contact your local dealer and see if they will send them to you of not send me a part number and I will send them to you.Just might take me a day or two by the time I get them scanned, my scanner skills are seriously lacking and I need to beg someone to do it for me.
__________________
Bill Rossi
Parts Manager
Cross Country Cycle
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Prodaddy OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: So. Mississippi
Oddometer: 98
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer5891 View Post
Well I have an answer but no one will like it...BMW accessories no longer come with installation instructions. They must be obtained separately from the dealer. I would contact your local dealer and see if they will send them to you of not send me a part number and I will send them to you.Just might take me a day or two by the time I get them scanned, my scanner skills are seriously lacking and I need to beg someone to do it for me.
Just contacted A&S Cycles and they sent me BMW's pdf. installation instructions. It requires complete removal of the headlight and the small cockpit fairings. There is no way I'm going to undertake that job by myself and then "check the headlight throw." This little jewel is going back in exchange for something simple!
Prodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,884
Check the headlight throw just means aim it.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodaddy View Post
Just contacted A&S Cycles and they sent me BMW's pdf. installation instructions. It requires complete removal of the headlight and the small cockpit fairings. There is no way I'm going to undertake that job by myself and then "check the headlight throw." This little jewel is going back in exchange for something simple!


It's a whole lot easier to install then you realize, and a nice piece.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014