User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro for LC?

Just read about this option on the new RT, I wonder if it'll be available for the GS....

Gear Shift Assistant Pro for smooth yet swift gear changing.

The BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro that is available as an option ex-works represents a world first for production motorcycle manufacture. It enables upshifts and downshifts to be made without operation of the clutch or throttle valve in the load and rev speed ranges that are of relevance for riding, resulting not just in even greater comfort but in added dynamism, too.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,205
You want an automatic transmission for your GS?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,251
Yamaha had something similar on the FJR.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Ding-Dong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I recon its to stop owners from moaning about the clunky gearbox ! its old news for me as i fitted a quickshifter along time ago on every gs I've owned, ill be fitting one on my 2014 bike.

Once you have used a quickshifter they become very addictive.
Ding-Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Sindarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I don't think BMW reinvented the transmission in the water boxer like the FJR or Honda's dual clutch. I Imagine it is nothing more then an auto blipper that can perfectly rev match downshifts so you don't need the clutch. They have been on race bikes for years.
Sindarin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindarin View Post
I don't think BMW reinvented the transmission in the water boxer like the FJR or Honda's dual clutch. I Imagine it is nothing more then an auto blipper that can perfectly rev match downshifts so you don't need the clutch. They have been on race bikes for years.
and with drive by wire, it can even take over the throttle to assist with the shift.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
With a Quick Shifter, how do you slip the clutch? My track bike shifts when I feather the clutch lever.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Ding-Dong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Eater 3 View Post
With a Quick Shifter, how do you slip the clutch? My track bike shifts when I feather the clutch lever.
A quickshifter will allow you to change gear 4x faster than a blink of an eye and it cannot be replicated with using the clutch lever.

You don't slip the clutch, it kills either the ignition or in the Lc case the fueling, the kill time allows the cogs to engage freely as you have taken the load off them . My lc with the akro sounded awesome when using quickshifter, just a deep pop between each gear, and in the long tunnels in the alps changing thro the box at full chat with the sound of the popping echoing off the walls.
Ding-Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #9
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 131
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-Dong View Post
A quickshifter will allow you to change gear 4x faster than a blink of an eye and it cannot be replicated with using the clutch lever.

You don't slip the clutch, it kills either the ignition or in the Lc case the fueling, the kill time allows the cogs to engage freely as you have taken the load off them . My lc with the akro sounded awesome when using quickshifter, just a deep pop between each gear, and in the long tunnels in the alps changing thro the box at full chat with the sound of the popping echoing off the walls.
Wow! Is that the same as the k1300 has? And how hard is it to instal cause I think I want one!?
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
You want an automatic transmission for your GS?
Nope. That is not what it is. You can still use the clutch normally and you must use the clutch to start and stop. The shift assist simply allows you to up and down shift without using the clutch if you so desire.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post
Wow! Is that the same as the k1300 has? And how hard is it to instal cause I think I want one!?
The K1300 only does it for upshifts. The new RT will allow it on downshifts as well.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Upshifts is a feature I'd like as there is no way a human can beat electronics in this respect

Downshifts is another game. No way i would want my downshifts controlled by some piece of software.
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Riding a bike well requires developing skills that are not terribly intuitive. Upshifting and downshifting smoothly can be considered just one of those elusive skills. Having a piece of tomfoolery do your shifting for you may seem like a clever innovation, but when the thing goes out of whack, are you going to look like a noob trying to ride back to the dealership?

Just the thoughts of an old dinosaur.
GrouchyGeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,277
Right now I am thinking the shifter on the GS (at least the one I am riding) is about as good as it gets: A little one-finger touch on the clutch, a light tap or lift on the shift and it goes into gear like a hot knife into butter with a delightful little "snick." What could be better assuming you didn't want an auto? I guess it is all in your expectations since I was coming off of something rather clunky. The downside of the (adjustedly) sweet and short clutch throw was an initial difficulty feathering it on uphill starts - something that would have made the Hill Start feature (something my dad's 50s Studebaker had) very handy the first week.

Both the Shift Asst. and the Hill Start seem seem like control training wheels for beginners, who don't probably don't belong on the GS or RT in the first place. Being an old dinosaur myself, I made all my kids take their driver's test with a stick shift, thus finding myself agreeing with GrouchyGeezer (not that I normally wouldn't) that these things should be acquired and required skills.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 01:11 PM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #15
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
It's now in the 2014 accessories catalogue for the LC GS. Cost in the UK is 360 plus fitting, but from speaking to the dealer, it's just a case of a software update after bolting it on. Should be under an hour, start to finish.