Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
UT R1150R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,765
crashed on a dirt road - dirt and rocks in engine

2004 R1150R non-ABS

Like the title says, I wiped out on a dirt road in some local mountains a few days ago. I was doing about 30 mph when a deer crossed the road in front of me. I hit the brakes and the front tire washed out to the right and the bike and I slid on the left side. After coming to a rest, all the oil leaked out. The engine was not running when the oil came out.

My leg is a little torn up but no broken bones.

The part of the frame that holds the passenger peg was bent out at a silly angle. I'm pretty sure it can be moved back to the original position by heating it up and bending / hammering it back.

The valve cover has two holes in it, both about 2" x 2" in size. One of the holes had a rock wedged in it when I got the bike upright.

I can safely assume that smaller rocks and or dirt are now in the engine.

Any of you guys have experience with this? I'm hoping you may have advice on how to flush the crankcase in an effort to remove debris before I try to get it running again.

Thanks in advance for any help!
UT R1150R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
No, I don't have any experience with this kind of condition.

But, I would say it's too early to feel any great anxiety.

For rocks and dirt to get into the crankcase they would have to work their way down the timing chain channels. Take the cam cover off and you will be able to see how much material entered. It's oily in there and dirt will stick to every surface it came in contact with. Once you see how much dirt is in there, you can make another assessment.

Remember, the oil was pouring out as the holes were made.

Good Luck!
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
grantsdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
rocks in your box

Presumably a small amount of debris did make its way into the crankcase. You're lucky if it didn't damage the timing chains and/or sprockets before flowing to the lowest point. The oil pump pick-ups have screens but I don't know the minimal micron full-flow rating for them.

The gears are probably hardened to a Rockwell C of 58 or better, easily hard enough to crush granite. I don't know the harness off the chain rollers.

If it were mine, I'd drain the oil, refill with a cheap 10w-30, run until warm then drain. Flush the oil in this manner for 3-4 cycles.

Grains of sand should be caught in the oil filter. Replace it on the last flush. Or better yet, replace it with each flush.

I would also suggest removing the valve covers, cleaning thoroughly and inspecting the valve train as best you can.
grantsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 10,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsdad View Post
Presumably a small amount of debris did make its way into the crankcase. You're lucky if it didn't damage the timing chains and/or sprockets before flowing to the lowest point. The oil pump pick-ups have screens but I don't know the minimal micron full-flow rating for them.

The gears are probably hardened to a Rockwell C of 58 or better, easily hard enough to crush granite. I don't know the harness off the chain rollers.

If it were mine, I'd drain the oil, refill with a cheap 10w-30, run until warm then drain. Flush the oil in this manner for 3-4 cycles.

Grains of sand should be caught in the oil filter. Replace it on the last flush. Or better yet, replace it with each flush.

I would also suggest removing the valve covers, cleaning thoroughly and inspecting the valve train as best you can.
Remove the OHV cover. Remove engine drain plug.

Pour ATF into the LH OHV chest. Let some of it drian to a catch pan. Direct some into the engine down the normal path taken by return oil. Inspect the ATF for debris. Flush until debris is no longer present. Fill with fresh engine oil and new filter.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #5
UT R1150R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,765
Thanks guys!
UT R1150R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #6
SecretSquirrel
Hindsight Seer

Oddometer: 1,376
You could actually just use a garden hose to wash it out then use an air compressor to blow as much water out as you can. Fill with cheap oil, get it hot for 20 minutes and all the water in the nooks/crannies will evaporate.

Then, change the oil + filter.