User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
mmurry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
R1150GS Wheel bearing question

Hi all I have a question about my 02 GS adv. seems like I have had a little bit of what I thought was bearing whine when leaned over in hard cornering for a long time. Just a little and somewhat inconsistent so I didn't worry too much. However I was coasting my gs down a long incline just out of the tunnel in Zion's nat park recently with the motor off and was pretty horrified by the whine and vibration that could be felt and heard in the corners with the motor off. Honestly didn't think the bike would make it the 250 some odd miles back to salt lake. But I kept the bike really upright and made it home with out incident.
Now I'm trying to figure out the cause of the problem. Kinda sounded / felt like it was coming from the front. But there is no play or noticeable noise coming from the front when I play with the front wheel. I also see very little info about replacing front bearings on these bikes on the net. Tons of stuff on the net about the rear crown bearing though. But when I play with the rear wheel, I get no noises or free play and the seal is not leaking. I changed the FD oil at the beginning of the season and the oil looked good.
Think I just need to do the rear bearing but was hoping someone here might have some helpful insight?
Thanks
Mike
94 K1100LT
mmurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 306
Front wheel bearings, need to heat the hub to 212*F, an inside bearing puller for one side and you can tap the other side out. There is a spacer inside. That is the basics of it. Heat it again to install the new bearings (tap squarely in with a socket of the proper size to push on the outer race of the bearing) which you can buy at your local bearing shop in town. It is straight forward and if you don't own a Clymer's book you need one or the factory CD. (which is not too good for this era). Front wheel bearings use to be on the 75,000 mile maintenance list but I think they get changed as needed. If you remove your wheel, stick your finger in the bearing and give it a spin, should be perfectly smooth. I seem to remember there may be inside snap rings involved, been a couple of years since I did a set.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I would remove the front wheel & check the bearings by turning the inner race of both bearings to see how they felt. But if your concerned then I would replace both & the the seal. As to the rear crown bearing drain the FD oil & see what the drain plug has for metal. I have just had my K1200LT FD fail & rebuilt it not that hard if you have some mech experience & the tools to do the job. I also decided to do the front wheel bearings as the bike has 80,000 miles & for comfort of mind .
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 928
It could just be tire whine. Which tires are you using?
My Anakee 3 s get louder with wear.

Mike Ryder screwed with this post 11-16-2014 at 03:17 PM Reason: More balthering.
Mike Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurry View Post
Hi all I have a question about my 02 GS adv. seems like I have had a little bit of what I thought was bearing whine when leaned over in hard cornering for a long time. Just a little and somewhat inconsistent so I didn't worry too much. However I was coasting my gs down a long incline just out of the tunnel in Zion's nat park recently with the motor off and was pretty horrified by the whine and vibration that could be felt and heard in the corners with the motor off. Honestly didn't think the bike would make it the 250 some odd miles back to salt lake. But I kept the bike really upright and made it home with out incident.
Now I'm trying to figure out the cause of the problem. Kinda sounded / felt like it was coming from the front. But there is no play or noticeable noise coming from the front when I play with the front wheel. I also see very little info about replacing front bearings on these bikes on the net. Tons of stuff on the net about the rear crown bearing though. But when I play with the rear wheel, I get no noises or free play and the seal is not leaking. I changed the FD oil at the beginning of the season and the oil looked good.
Think I just need to do the rear bearing but was hoping someone here might have some helpful insight?
Thanks
Mike
I wouldn't mess with either unless you determine there is bearing failure.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
mmurry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
My tires are annakee 2. Bike has 55k on it. I know either front or rear bearings are bad. Guess I will start with removing the front wheel and inspecting the front a little closer. Feeling pretty sure it has to be the rear though.
94 K1100LT
mmurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 928
I've had a rear final drive bearing go bad a few times and the only symptom aside from a bit more play in there was a rumble heard whilst slowly turning the wheel by hand on the center stand. ( I know I said whilst back there)

Try changing the air pressure on each tire separately to see if there is any change in the sound.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,025
A bad bearing iseasy to diagnose. For the rear, put the bike in the centerstand and turn the wheel by hand. Is it "grindy?" If so, bad bearing. If not, good-to-go. For teh front, pull the wheel. Stick your finger into the hole and turn the inner race. It won't turn freely, but it should turn smoothly. If so, good-to-go. If it's rough, it's bad.

My bet is tires. That being said, I bought a Tusk bearing puller for about $100. Works great on the wheel bearings.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
Unless the front wheel has some slop in it my money's on tires.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
+1 - a worm front Anakee howls like a banshee. The 3's are worse than the 2's but both are loud.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Big bearing in the final is only good for about 50,000 miles, grindy-no grindy test means nothing. Should be replaced as a wear item every 50k or so, cut it apart when it's been replaced to prove to yourself that you did the right thing.

No noises, no grindy rumble feeling, pure smooth running:

It's called preventive maintenance, 50,000 miles is enough...replace your front wheel bearings and rebuild the FD. You're not a KLR owner.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
+1 my metzler tourance front does the same when worn down, after burning off 8 it's almost a built in wear indicator
Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Big bearing in the final is only good for about 50,000 miles, grindy-no grindy test means nothing. Should be replaced as a wear item every 50k or so, cut it apart when it's been replaced to prove to yourself that you did the right thing.

It's called preventive maintenance, 50,000 miles is enough...replace your front wheel bearings and rebuild the FD. You're not a KLR owner.
I couldn't disagree more, but it's your bike, so have a ball!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

I must have the upgraded model that currently is smooth with 95000 miles
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I must have the upgraded model that currently is smooth with 95000 miles
Properly shimmed one would reasonably expect that.
Loading like a mule also plays in.