Oddometer: 4
. Touratech hand guards Rallye seat. GSA black rims. Zega pro2's on order

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tatatoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #2012
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I'd like to see the GS without that rear handrail/luggage rack assembly and without the rear seat, but with the BMW panel kit that can be installed there instead.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #2013
2OLD4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13

2OLD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #2014
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
Rich

When did you blacken the radiator blades?
Painted, wrapped or carbon fiber?
If I purchase a 13-14 I'd do something with the fangs, not sure what.
Are there more detailed pics available or to link to?

I'm thinking that I might just wait for the first update of the bike ( 2015?) b-4 I purchase... Maybe they'll alter some of the troublesome components (switches, decompression valve, water pump, transmission... etc) and change the appearance a bit, as they normally do.

Looks good...
d'milan
I got the blades an tank panels painted satin black by the BMW dealer before I collected the bike. It looks even better in the flesh.

Re the troublesome components you mention, I've not had issues with any of those, so the 2014 for me, seems to be sorted. My 2013 had a couple of issues though!
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #2015
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
That white looks faster ... and the replacement panel for the passenger seat / rail is nice!
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #2016
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
I'd like to see the GS without that rear handrail/luggage rack assembly and without the rear seat, but with the BMW panel kit that can be installed there instead.

Although I have not purchased a LCGS yet, I did purchase many accessories at a fine discount when I had the opportunity to do do.
Figured that even if I don't eventually purchase a LCGS , I can sell all the accessories at a small profit. Or, I could have just put the money in the bank and earned the generous .0025% interest.

Anyway, when I picked up the box with the rear seat replacement panel/top box rack in it I thought, Huh... must be an empty box.
Opened the box anyway... there it was, the panel assembly.

I'd say it is a bunch of cheap plastic, but @ $175.00 it isn't exactly cheap.
And screws and washers galore... gotta be 20-25 parts in there.
How long is it gonna take to install, or, when you want/need the rear seat back on, to uninstall?

On my departed 2011 R1200GS I installed a similar panel. Meant to replace the passenger seat and to allow easy attachment of Vario Top box.
That version was much more substantial and much simpler to install and uninstall. As I recall, it attached just like the seat, maybe one or 2 extra steps.

This 2014 version includes a small and fairly useless storage area under the pivoting piece of cheap black plastic (ooppps I said it)....

I much preferred the old version, it seemed better built and more sensibly designed.

d'milan (curmudgeon)

DMilan screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 04:02 AM
DMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 AM   #2017
Not the Messiah
Not the Messiah

Oddometer: 103
d'milan,

First time install is at least an hour, because you get no instructions and have to work it out using realoem.com. You will also drop at least 3 of those damn spacers and have to remove a heap of stuff under the seat to fish them out.
But after you stick them together with super glue and work out the technique it will be a 10 minute job the next time. Of, and another 15 minutes to find where you put all the other fittings.
My beef with the luggage plate is that to actually use it as a top box mount, you have to loose your grab rails, so moving the bike around in the shed or the drive is awkward. I'm half way through making a little loop handle to use the rear mounting points which a left un-used with the grab rails removed. The loop handle will sit back above the tail light. Photo's later (got some more welds to do)
Cheers
Brian
Not the Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #2018
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
Here's mine. As mentioned above, the luggage plate comes without instructions and fitting takes a bit of figuring out.

Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #2019
Trailblazin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
Here's mine. As mentioned above, the luggage plate comes without instructions and fitting takes a bit of figuring out.

Do the engine crash bars protect the plastics from a stand still tip over? I'm clumsy as hell and drop my bike when its sitting still at least 2 times a year!
Trailblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #2020
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazin View Post
Do the engine crash bars protect the plastics from a stand still tip over? I'm clumsy as hell and drop my bike when its sitting still at least 2 times a year!
I really don't know, I haven't dropped it. It might be worth your while doing some exercises to enhance your co-ordination. You might find some of the stuff from the Feldenkrais Method and / or Educational Kinesiology to be helpful.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #2021
damytzeus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
yes, the lower crash bars do protect the plastics. though i also have the upper crash bars, they're probably unnecessary. when i low-sided on asphalt, the lower crash bars and the cylinder head guards suffered damage. the bike came away unscathed. super glad for the guards. fwiw, i'd get the cylinder head guards before i'd get the upper crash guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazin View Post
damytzeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #2022
Random-Water
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Alabama Hills

Here's a shot of my 13' LCGS in the Alabama Hills.
ADVMotorrad rear rack and Top Plate
Luggage is Holan 62L top case 45L side cases
Happy Trails Products crash guards and end plates

I can't remember what else I've added.
Attached Images

Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #2023
GSDiva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I am confused about the windshield you are selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Topcase:

The Givi cases are certainly very rugged and the mounting is fairly secure. I can't compare to the Touratech but my guess is the case will fair okay offroad, but the mount really is the question. The aluminum plates are likely not a solid as they use the little mounting "mushrooms" at the front which might be the weak points.

Again, no experience. If you want something rugged, solid and not too big, it would be better to bolt a Pelican case right to the Adventure rear rack. I wouldn't use any of the typical top case options. The Givi is more solid with the mount I have right now on the GS than the aluminum plate plus mushroom mounts I had on my Tiger but I would still not take it offroad. It's plain too heavy and the plastic mounts are not meant for it.

For on road touring I like it a lot. It can fit two not too big helmets, or one helmet and quite some other stuff. During commute it's also very handy. I'm still looking for something less big and more fitting to the overall styling, so I'm waiting for this one from Givi:

http://www.givi.it/cases/Monokey/TRE...BACK%2042%20lt

Depending on the price I'll get that. It'll fit the normal Monokey plates which means it's transferable between bikes. I like that a lot as I generally have more than one bike in the garage, at least wife's and mine, sometimes a third. Although I'm not certain about the looks of that one on for example an R1200R or a VFR or so.

Quote:
Regarding the windshield:

It's the regular windshield of the Adventure model. It works quite well actually and looks great. I have tried the original windshied, the Aeroflow Offroad, the Adventure shield, and the MRA Vario Touring shield. I'd say it's the second best working one after the Vario Touring, but looks a lot better. I have the Adventure shield for sale right now, see my signature for a link or PM me.
If you have an Adventure shield on the bike now, which Adventure shield are you selling? Maybe you've already sold it, but what you have on the bike looks really good to me. I have a 2013 and I thought I read on here somewhere that the Adventure shield won't fit the 2013. Do you know anything about that?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #2024
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDiva View Post
If you have an Adventure shield on the bike now, which Adventure shield are you selling?
The one in the photo. I use an MRA Vario Touring now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDiva View Post
I have a 2013 and I thought I read on here somewhere that the Adventure shield won't fit the 2013. Do you know anything about that?
I don't know why it wouldn't fit. It's really all about the mounting holes. There are two different windshields listed on the fiche, but no indication that only one would fit certain years. It might be that you'd have to get the rubber grommets if that is what the "decoupling" is about.

From all I know it SHOULD fit, but I can't try that as mine is a 2014.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #2025
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post
Here's a shot of my 13' LCGS in the Alabama Hills.
ADVMotorrad rear rack and Top Plate
Luggage is Holan 62L top case 45L side cases
Happy Trails Products crash guards and end plates

I can't remember what else I've added.
How much do those bash plates weight?
Are they easily removable? (like "so easy that I can install them only when I hit the trail")

"Not only do they just plain look cool"
(from their site)
...those guys have a weird sense of taste.

I don't question their off-road usefulness.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote