Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #826
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Yep, it's the small bag. It's great for everyday use, and could be used for an overnight break if you don't want to use any other luggage.
I found the small tank bag pretty much useless. Returned for the large. Much more useful and expandable.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #827
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
I found the small tank bag pretty much useless. Returned for the large. Much more useful and expandable.
It's hardly useless. It depends what you want to put in it.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #828
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,073
If he finds the small tank bag useless I suspect he'd laugh at my Wunderlich handlebar bag.

But speaking of small and useless... that's my description of the stock luggage rack. The after market has various solutions, of course. For once the Touratech solution is among the cheapest.

More here.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #829
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
If he finds the small tank bag useless I suspect he'd laugh at my Wunderlich handlebar bag.

More here.
I love my Wunderlich handlebar bag - don't know how I coped before I got it. Horses for courses I guess
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #830
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
What do people like to put in a handle bar bag?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #831
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
watch cap and glove liners for stops on cold days, some sun screen, a petzl headlamp, emergency set of ear plugs, pen, tire pressure gauge, lens cleaning wipes, lighter, etc. There's still enough room left over to store my phone when it is plugged into the bike for charging. That works quite well with the accessory socket where it is on the new GS.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #832
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
watch cap and glove liners for stops on cold days, some sun screen, a petzl headlamp, emergency set of ear plugs, pen, tire pressure gauge, lens cleaning wipes, lighter, etc. There's still enough room left over to store my phone when it is plugged into the bike for charging. That works quite well with the accessory socket where it is on the new GS.
Sounds like the same stuff that goes into my small tankbag, plus a map on top. Can't get by without one.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #833
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
Since I am rather small the bigger tankbags hinder me. On my previous bike I had 2 of them and never used the big one.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #834
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:

But speaking of small and useless... that's my description of the stock luggage rack. The after market has various solutions, of course. For once the Touratech solution is among the cheapest.

More here.
The stock luggage rack works fine for me. It perfectly fits my top box.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #835
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
He'a pic of mine I just put on my Rallye before heading to Colorado. Besides what you see, I also carried my credit card for gas in the business card holder. Made filling up a breeze. Inside the bag, I had a 3oz bottle of cleaner for my sheild and screen, a washcloth for cleaning, my wallet, Iphone, Ibuprofin, pocket knife, insurance and registration paperwork in the zipper compartment and a small flashlight. Amazed at how much it held and how convenient it was and just how cheap it was. No more tank bags for me.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #836
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:

More here.
I have the Wunderlich handlebar bag too. It's on all the time. The tank bag is just for trips.

The large tank bag allows me to carry glasses, maps, face shield cleaner, camera, water and charging stuff. The small bag was not close to big enough for that stuff.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #837
I GS 1
I 90S I

Quote:
As well as the things I would otherwise have to carry in a tank bag, I have a small aluminium plate in it that I use as a side stand foot extender. Very easy to get to when I find the ground too soft to support the weight of the bike. It is attached to a piece if cord that I put around the hand grip to remind me not to leave it behind and by pulling this I can lift the plate, put it it back in the bag while I hold the bike before I get on to go.

I also have it wired up with a cigarette lighter socket so it is easy to charge things on the go eg. my iPhone etc. I see it as an alternative to a small tank bag.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #838
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
As well as the things I would otherwise have to carry in a tank bag, I have a small aluminium plate in it that I use as a side stand foot extender. Very easy to get to when I find the ground too soft to support the weight of the bike. It is attached to a piece if cord that I put around the hand grip to remind me not to leave it behind and by pulling this I can lift the plate, put it it back in the bag while I hold the bike before I get on to go.

I also have it wired up with a cigarette lighter socket so it is easy to charge things on the go eg. my iPhone etc. I see it as an alternative to a small tank bag.
Get some JD Weld and attach that plate to the side stand, then it's always deployed. works well for me!

Regards, Paul
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #839
I GS 1
I 90S I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Get some JD Weld and attach that plate to the side stand, then it's always deployed. works well for me!

Regards, Paul
Must say, given how infrequently I end up needing to use it and the size it would need to be on some of the occasions when I do, I am happy to stick to my system. It wouldn't work for me to have a big ugly bit of plate like that attached all the time but i guess it's each to their own. Just as, my wife doesn't like the look of a tank bag so we use a handel bar bag on the GS, the bike we use for touring.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #840
Imola
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
My old GS L/C

Imola is offline   Reply With Quote