ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,689
Cell Phone crackdown in BC

Bring it on!!!!!!!!


http://www.theprovince.com/police+wa...132/story.html
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged
 
OceanMtnSea's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: left middle Saskatchewan & entering middle BC
Oddometer: 553
YES I agree ......but here are a few observations about how difficult this law is to police:

1) outside of stop signs/signals and very slow driving areas, it is very difficult to actual see a cell phone in use.

2) long hair obscures everything......................"just scratching my ear officer."

3) on the highway you may see a vehicle swerve, but did you actually see a phone being used?

4) see a cop.....drop the phone and scratch your ear.

Cell phone use on the road is a problem, but I feel for cops trying to police it........next to impossible to catch the stealthy ones ...........they only can get the real dumb ones.

I completely support the "idea", but ultimately I think the only solution will be a technological one .......one where the car-tech will only allow a hands-free device to be used while at car is in motion.

People are addicted to cell phones and are not about self regulate. If we can mandate seat belt in cars for safety, surely we can mandate some type of cell phone blocker?
__________________
2007 BMW Dakar & 2009 Ducati Multistrada leaving the middle of the in-land sea called Saskatchewan for the Mountain Valleys of BC, Canada
http://s737.photobucket.com/user/Oce...?sort=3&page=0

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 12:54 PM
OceanMtnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 2,449
I think the deer cause far more accidents. They should cut all the trees down to make it easier to see the dang deer.

Makes about as much sense...

Bikes should have "jammers" on them to shut the cell phones down when they are near us....
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,261
Take the vehicle as well.

"Wipe" the phone before returning it on the third offense.

Crush the vehicle on the 10th offense.


I'm kidding

or am I?
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
squonker
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
YES I agree ......but here are a few observations about how difficult this law is to police:

1) outside of stop signs/signals and very slow driving areas, it is very difficult to actual see a cell phone in use.

In this area the cops will set up what looks like a speed trap, only it is actually a cop with a telescope watching you while you drive towards him/her. Officer sees you on the phone, sends his buddy in the waiting cruiser off to chase you down and give you your prize.

And I say bring it on, too. Around here we could have ten times as many cops on the highways and they would all pay for themselves many times over.
__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DNF's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Kootenays
Oddometer: 404
If I could waste a wish it would be to un-invent cell phones.

I have almost been hit three times (twice on my bike) with people talking on their stupid phones.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
In this area the cops will set up what looks like a speed trap, only it is actually a cop with a telescope watching you while you drive towards him/her. Officer sees you on the phone, sends his buddy in the waiting cruiser off to chase you down and give you your prize.

And I say bring it on, too. Around here we could have ten times as many cops on the highways and they would all pay for themselves many times over.

If the government, through their traffic revenue collector division [the police] really want to increase revenue [Oh yes they do!!!!] and, increase safety, this seems like a no brainer. The level of close calls while driving my pu, and riding my bikes over the last 5 yrs, witnessing of errant car drivers veering all over the place, red light running, green light non-movement, slowing down for no apparent reason,,,,ALL easily observed text related divertions from driving by other drivers,,,,, I simply cannot see why traffic police cannot make this a financial windfall with minimal effort.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,261
Wicked if only it could happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post
If I could waste a wish it would be to un-invent cell phones.
Would not be a waste of a wish. It would make the world a MUCH better place if cell phones were to disappear. IMHO
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
oldtrout
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldtrout's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Delta/, Cariboo BC
Oddometer: 168
Yabutt...

How many times have I seen one of our finest on the cell or texting

Lead by example. No personal comms when on duty.

OT
__________________
Spratley. Dr. Spratley.
oldtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer
 
250senuf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kootenai, BC, Canada
Oddometer: 2,261
Thumbs down

For some reason police and other emergency workers were exempted from BC's "no cell use while driving" law.

The two-way radios they already have are much simpler to operate aren't they?
__________________
Not all who wonder are confused
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
pelvis_98
Havin A Time
 
pelvis_98's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oxford Station, Ontario
Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
For some reason police and other emergency workers were exempted from BC's "no cell use while driving" law.

The two-way radios they already have are much simpler to operate aren't they?
Its the same in Ontario,

It pisses me off too. I'm presuming its supposed to be for emergency's. But one day I was filling up with gas, when i watched a cop pull in beside me to get gas, He was talking on the cell when he pulled in and i could hear him when he got out of the car. He was discussing with his wife what to pick up for groceries on the way home.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DNF's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Kootenays
Oddometer: 404
I work part time for BC ambulance. I was in the back with a patient while my partner swerved into the other lane cause he was texting.

We have a radio to talk to dispatch. However too much of our communication is still by cell phone in that medical taxi. If I a driving I throw it back to my partner.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
sparklr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
If the government, through their traffic revenue collector division [the police] really want to increase revenue [Oh yes they do!!!!] and, increase safety, this seems like a no brainer. The level of close calls while driving my pu, and riding my bikes over the last 5 yrs, witnessing of errant car drivers veering all over the place, red light running, green light non-movement, slowing down for no apparent reason,,,,ALL easily observed text related divertions from driving by other drivers,,,,, I simply cannot see why traffic police cannot make this a financial windfall with minimal effort.
I believe this isn't the first post where you equated in one form or another that the police are "Revenue Collectors". I would like to present a retort to why this is not actually the case.

Take for example the minor penalty awarded to you for your indiscretion. From the onset of that officers shift to the time of your REWARD, there are his/her wages, vehicle costs, data entry clerks, and the list goes on. The costs associated for writing that one minor ticket far exceeds the amount of your penalty. Therefore rather than revenue collection is has to be deemed as a deficit and the only way a windfall can be obtained is to raise the ticket premium to cover all costs. I would probably have to give up riding/driving altogether to avoid the risk if I had to foot the bill on the ACTUAL cost.

So can you imagine what the actual cost is when some pissant fights a ticket in the hopes of having it dimished on a technicality. I have paid my fines and points, I considered them as as track days back then as in BC there is no real track since Westwood gave way to realtors.

From a logical and fiscal standpoint, issuing tickets serves no purpose other than penalizing the financially troubled. Those that can afford tickets continue to drive/ride in the same manner. At the end of the day the taxpayer/insuree pays a percentage of everyone elses indiscretions. The alternative would be to up the ante, again not feasible or logical. Keeping in mind the deficit costs of the many recent high profile deficit sentences awarded to drunk drivers in this province. I can only imagine the frustration that the families and relatives of the many victims have to endure as a result of lenient sentencing.

Lastly, for those out or province posters/riders that are dissuaded to travel to BC, I hope that you will reconsider. It's Beautiful BC as the plates state, great riding and can easily be enjoyed by adjusting the air/fuel ratio rotator and enjoying the scenery. Remember that you have already commited to a high risk lifestyle for just being a motorcyclist, the same associated risks and costs are prevalent wherever you choose to travel. Paying a penalty surely is far better than the less desirable outcome.
sparklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklr View Post
I believe this isn't the first post where you equated in one form or another that the police are "Revenue Collectors". I would like to present a retort to why this is not actually the case.

Take for example the minor penalty awarded to you for your indiscretion. From the onset of that officers shift to the time of your REWARD, there are his/her wages, vehicle costs, data entry clerks, and the list goes on. The costs associated for writing that one minor ticket far exceeds the amount of your penalty. Therefore rather than revenue collection is has to be deemed as a deficit and the only way a windfall can be obtained is to raise the ticket premium to cover all costs. I would probably have to give up riding/driving altogether to avoid the risk if I had to foot the bill on the ACTUAL cost.

So can you imagine what the actual cost is when some pissant fights a ticket in the hopes of having it dimished on a technicality. I have paid my fines and points, I considered them as as track days back then as in BC there is no real track since Westwood gave way to realtors.

From a logical and fiscal standpoint, issuing tickets serves no purpose other than penalizing the financially troubled. Those that can afford tickets continue to drive/ride in the same manner. At the end of the day the taxpayer/insuree pays a percentage of everyone elses indiscretions. The alternative would be to up the ante, again not feasible or logical. Keeping in mind the deficit costs of the many recent high profile deficit sentences awarded to drunk drivers in this province. I can only imagine the frustration that the families and relatives of the many victims have to endure as a result of lenient sentencing.

Lastly, for those out or province posters/riders that are dissuaded to travel to BC, I hope that you will reconsider. It's Beautiful BC as the plates state, great riding and can easily be enjoyed by adjusting the air/fuel ratio rotator and enjoying the scenery. Remember that you have already commited to a high risk lifestyle for just being a motorcyclist, the same associated risks and costs are prevalent wherever you choose to travel. Paying a penalty surely is far better than the less desirable outcome.

I appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, you have not succeeded in changing my mind. The way you word it, you make it sound like the revenue collector,,,,,,sorry, traffic police officer, goes out and gets one ticket dispersal per shift. I'm not sure that's the case. No, they usually always set up shop by hiding at the bottom of a hill, in an area quite notable and widely recognized as being speed posted inacurately slower that it would be anywhere else in the world. Safety is not enhanced in these classic cases, it's all about the money. And there they sit and line them up. And don't get me started about the 40km/hr instant impound roadside judgement in BC, based on police officer visual judgement alone without speed detection device confirmation!!! WTF?
You're point about the rich continuing to be able to drive is also inacurate. Even rich people who easily can pay off huge fines, still have their license taken away if they are unable to understand the characteristically conservative speed postings in this province.
I, and most all of my riding friends have chosen over the last few years to do most of their extended riding holidays in the western United States. Not just the silly speed postings within BC, but the main reason is the vastly more entertaining roads found south of the '49th', and the sheer number of them, and the relative thin use of other traffic compared to the minimal, and clogged roads here. And of course, the better weather. And the cheaper fuel, and hotels,,,,food. Rant over.

On the other hand, drivers who text offer a clear danger to me as a motorcyclist, as well as a car driver, so I give full support to the traffic patrol in this regard pressing down on this habit [addiction] among the car driving crowd.

Just to let you know, My last speeding infraction was in BC, in 1994.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
squonker
Eat my shorts
 
squonker's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Bee Cee
Oddometer: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I appreciate your opinion. Unfortunately, you have not succeeded in changing my mind.
+1. Nor mine.
__________________


Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014