Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb Great scheme

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Martin. It makes the decision much easier. Armed with the information you provided I can't find any upside to shipping and documenting and so on. You've already made my life easier
That is exactly why I chose to buy a bike in Ireland with Martin's help. The money I spent was well spent; rather than supporting the freight companies and the tax men, I support the locals who sell and fix motorcycles and I have something (a good bike) to show for it.

The Varadero I bought near Cork has been a great 2-up bike; we'll ride 9 European countries this summer on it. We only did 5 countries last year on it. Scandinavia is next year. What a dream - and it's affordable, too.

To say that it's paid for itself is an understatement. I like it so much I got a custom saddle for this year's ride, and for the next ride and the next ride, and....

Thanks again, Martin!

Ken Fritz screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 12:30 PM Reason: fixed typos
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Northam
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Good stuff!

It's great that you are doing this, Martin! I am thinking of visiting Europe again then!
Northam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
ewbutler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Who knew....yesterday morning...that today I'd have a motorcycle in Ireland? The idea came to fruition when I saw Martins thread and recognized that, hey, this might be a real possibility. I made a couple comments on line and asked a couple questions and the responses, from other inmates as well as Martin, opened the door to a "man, what if....." moment.
I previewed donedeal.ie as recommended and spend several hours looking at bikes,prices,locations and factoring in mileage, apparent condition, age, type and functionality and then,finally, through the luck of the draw a 1994 ST 1100 caught my attention. I emailed Martin, we've since talked but haven't yet met, sent him the info on the bike and asked his opinion. To cut to it, he went to look at the bike this afternoon, called from the location, sent on 7 pictures, interviewed the owner, rode the bike and assessed its reliability and condition.
And a couple hours ago Paypal closed the deal! A huge thanks to Martin for all his effort on behalf of a stranger, to the inmates who shared their experiences and definitely to BALDY(and a contribution) for making it all possible. Looking forward to 6 weeks in Europe on my own bike.
Ride safe,
Wade

ewbutler screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 04:11 PM Reason: Thanks Martin, you rock
ewbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
Rock and Roll

here's how it works with Martin: I live in Oklahoma so the cost of getting the bike to a port(Houston), transport there and back, twice if I want to bring a bike back home is pricy. My solution was... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=803515&page=3 scroll down the page

Tell Martin a budget, size/models etc, he finds some bikes on the Irish equivalent of Craigslist, sends you links, and makes some calls, you tell him one you like and he checks it out. There is going to be a modest pickup charge if it's out of his territory. He looks at the bike, takes pics with iphone and sends them, calls you as he is looking at the bike passing along his recommendation. If it's a go he buys it and you send a bank money transfer covering his costs(that was my arrangement).

The bike is transferred to your name using his address. He sends pics of documents.

Get insurance through motosapiens, mail copy of passport or drivers license to them, 160 euros/3 months. Once insured, you get current tags online, 88 euros/1 year. Paperwork is with the bike.

I bought a 96 Transalp, $1,600 dollars, round trip to Dublin for $825. Bus or train transport from airport to Cork, $25/30?

All transactions, info is straight up. No hidden port costs, no 4-6 week shipping delay, I get to buy a new toy and I'm ready to Rock An Roll!!

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 06:22 PM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,891

Inmate, bnordgren aboard his Yamaha TDM getting ready for a trip to France, leaving tomorrow morning.
Bike prepped, titled in his name and green card insurance purchased.
No shipping, no headaches, (well, apart form the beer we may drink tonight)

Life is good
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
yauhen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post

Inmate, bnordgren aboard his Yamaha TDM getting ready for a trip to France, leaving tomorrow morning.

Life is good
Nice!

Can't wait to ride the transalp in the background this summer!
yauhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post

Life is good
I'm just gonna chime in here and say Martin made possible the purchase of the R1 I'll be punting around Europe for a few months! (you can see it peering over the tail of the bike in the photo)

Without Martin's help it would have been a damn sight harder getting a bike organised.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #23
bnordgren
Curmudgin

Oddometer: 18
Stay on the left

Stay on the left. Stay on the left.

Martin's place is a good area to practice riding on the left side; a critical skill if you expect to make it to where you're going. Most roads there lack any kind of shoulder or ditch. Two walls hem you in and provide many blind corners, which usually hide insane cagers. Not too hard to deal with if you're thinking about it, but I found that any time I did anything automatically, I did it wrong. It's hard to be thinking that hard about basic things all the time. Anyway, most of the way to the Rosslare ferry port was a major highway, sometimes divided. This was a good thing for me since it upped my chances of survival. Also critical to survival was NOT hopping on the bike right away. When I got there, I'd been up for more than a day. Sleep first. Ride later.

Martin's an awesome host and facilitator. I had a couple of extra days to kill because a missed connection in Denver pushed me back a day and made me miss the ferry I intended to take. It was actually kind of hard to keep up with Martin. This is all in addition to making it possible in the first place! Oh, and yes he knows where the beer lives.

So after that picture was taken, I made it to the Rosslare ferry. Due to a busted charge regulator, the bike died as I pulled up to the checkin gate. The TDM had a new battery, along with new tires/chain/sprockets, etc, so this was hard to detect on my little training rides. Pushing it off of the ferry on the France side, I managed to locate a repair shop with an English speaking owner in Cherbourg: http://univers-scoot.fr/ (in spite of the fact that its a scooter dealership, much of their used inventory and repair work is on real motorcycles.) So mental note: if getting acquianted with your 1800EUR, 20 year old bike reveals some issues you want addressed while riding to a Cherbourg bound ferry, call 02 33 44 63 45 and ask for Frank (the owner). I called five other numbers I found online, three of which were disconnected. The other two, I couldn't get past the language barrier. The part is coming in today and I expect to be on my way again.

BTW: it's hard to find a hotel room on "ferry arrival day". Frank also played the part of "concierge", taking me around to five hotels and speaking French at people for me. That lowered the stress quite a bit. Many thanks to Frank!
bnordgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Ken aboard his beautiful Varadero in Ireland summer of 2012, before departing for France.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb Living the dream - Thanks Martin!

Thanks again Martin for helping us live our dream on a bike in Europe. The Irish people were so friendly and fun to visit with we'll be back for more riding there, but the bike's stored on the Continent now for more fun this July. And yes, that Varadero is a great two-up bike for us. It even came with all the Hepco & Becker cases. We like them so much we sold our BMW System Cases to buy the same H&B cases for our 1150GS here in the states.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #26
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Another beautiful Varadero picked up this weekend.

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 01:02 AM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
HerrFritz
Radical Opportunity

Oddometer: 11
Restricted Bikes

Hey Wheatwacker!

I have seen some great bikes on DoneDeal. One in particular for a Transalp said "Bike is restricted to learner legal. Genuine reason for reluctant sale". Could you translate that into American? Are there licensing and insurance restrictions for holders of valid US motorcycle endorsements based on the size of the bike?

Thanks

Fritz
HerrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #28
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrFritz View Post
Hey Wheatwacker!

I have seen some great bikes on DoneDeal. One in particular for a Transalp said "Bike is restricted to learner legal. Genuine reason for reluctant sale". Could you translate that into American? Are there licensing and insurance restrictions for holders of valid US motorcycle endorsements based on the size of the bike?

Thanks

Fritz

Hi Fritz.
Riders here on a learner permit have their bikes restricted to, I think, to 33 hp. On a transalp this would be a reduction of 10-15%.
This restriction device is usually a washer in the carb, air inlet restricted or an electric power reduction on modern bikes. All are easily removed.
A US license is good in Europe for 6 months after arrival.
Insurance is handled by www.motosapiens.org and they provide cover in all of Europe.
If there any more questions any of you guys would like to ask, feel free to do so, I am here to help.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #29
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Moto touring in Ireland.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #30
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Of course a picture of wheatwhacker himself.
Same bike, different continent.

My proudest moment :)