User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 232
EMERGENCY!!! Help on side of road (KLR)

i was riding to work and came out of a corner and the bike "popped" audibly, when it did the bike lurched and kept going (still running) but had no power, either in the motor or the systems.

i pulled over, and the bike still ran at idle fine, but when you applied throttle it would stumble and feel like it was missing a beat, so i cut it off. turned the key back on, and 0 electrics work, no gauges, lights, nothing.

one person i called said i sheered the woodruff key and that was the bang, but others i talked to have no idea. i have to leave it where it is till i get off work but ill come back to it to see if its just a fuse (fingers are crossed)

does this sound like anything at all to you guys?

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
i was riding to work and came out of a corner and the bike "popped" audibly, when it did the bike lurched and kept going (still running) but had no power, either in the motor or the systems.

i pulled over, and the bike still ran at idle fine, but when you applied throttle it would stumble and feel like it was missing a beat, so i cut it off. turned the key back on, and 0 electrics work, no gauges, lights, nothing.

one person i called said i sheered the woodruff key and that was the bang, but others i talked to have no idea. i have to leave it where it is till i get off work but ill come back to it to see if its just a fuse (fingers are crossed)

does this sound like anything at all to you guys?
Seems like that diagnosis would be a stretch. Not something that would happen spontaneously unless you recently ham-fisted a repair. Mess with the doo lately?

From where did the pop originate? Could it have been a backfire?

Is your battery completely toast? A bad battery can result in this condition and the pop could have been a simple backfire as the bike was sputtering and dying while in motion.

Try charging the battery or simply hook a friend's car battery up to yours and see if you now have lights and electrics. (Note- I didn't suggest jump-starting, just see if a known-good battery restores the lights and electrics.)

And while you have the seat off to mess with the battery, check the fuses.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Seems like that diagnosis would be a stretch. Not something that would happen spontaneously unless you recently ham-fisted a repair. Mess with the doo lately?

From where did the pop originate? Could it have been a backfire?

Is your battery completely toast? A bad battery can result in this condition and the pop could have been a simple backfire as the bike was sputtering and dying while in motion.

Try charging the battery or simply hook a friend's car battery up to yours and see if you now have lights and electrics. (Note- I didn't suggest jump-starting, just see if a known-good battery restores the lights and electrics.)

And while you have the seat off to mess with the battery, check the fuses.
the bike was recently redone (whole new top end) by the nitwit dealers, but thats about it. what im HOPING it is is the PO installed a dash plug and it rubbed and blew a fuse. but at this point im just praying fuse...

nothing done with with the DO at all, still stock. and i did recently replace the battery since it was for some reason dying on me. the pop did kinda sound like a backfire (as it is known to do from time to time)

Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,966
Losing main electric power would not be associated with a sheared Woodruff key, IMHO.

Generation 2 wiring diagram: http://s414.beta.photobucket.com/use...ected.jpg.html

Generation 1 wiring diagram:

http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/2...ki-klr650.html

If I lost main power, after checking the main fuse, I'd break out the multimeter and start chasing wires with one of these diagrams; good luck!

XDragRacer screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 06:11 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,858
Start with the simple stuff.
Battery terminals, fuses.
You have electrical power at all?
Check the spark plug + the wire to it...

Woodruff key sheared?
In my experience, the folks who start with the outlandish and esoteric stuff end up wasting lots of time and money...

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
a pop?

weird

so I had my 08 blow a main harness, that whole chaffing issue that caused dealers to scramble

but I had no pop it just died

had a couple of fuses blow from vibes but had spares

since you had topend work done, AND at a dealer hmmmmmmmmmm pause for concern

anywhoo

good luck

could be anything at this point howvere like posted above I would RECCOMEND to start with the simple stuff first

and yeah the most outlandish ideas are usually the least likely

HOWEVER once in a blue moon they come true and it SUCKS

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Automatic de-compressor spat the dummy? That'd explain the 'pop' and the loss of power, but not so much the apparent electric issues.
Good luck. I hope you find it and make sure to post exactly what happened when you find out.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Rev OP
Asshole

crossing fingers it was just a backfire (as it does) and main fuse....

Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Warm up the garage and call some buddies over to give you their input and have fun solving the problem. I really enjoy working on other people's bike but not my own, go figure. Check the voltage at the battery first and if you are good there I would check the stator. If you just got it back from the hop I would not touch anything and take it back to them. Don't pull anything apart it could be their mistake. Everyone makes mistakes.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Rev OP
Asshole

unfortunately, no garage or way to get it home. its in a parking lot on the side of the road here. so ill be starting the repairs tonight (not to mention i dont have any friends here to help, otherwise itd be home...)

i did just get it back, technically. got oil and tire changed weds....oi.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,078
It's possible that the regulator/rectifier is frying out, surging, and eventually took out the main fuse. It's also possible that the harness shorted and blew the main fuse.

I'd start by checking all of your fuses. Then check your harness for chafing.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
Rev OP
Asshole

well, i struck out, kinda.

went out to the bike after work in the cold and got the seat and side panels off, but the only 4 fuses i could find was 2 minis for the fan/tail lights, a mini for the PO added 12v plug (which was blown) and what i think is the main fuse on the left side of the motor under a red cover, which was NOT blown.

but there was some interesting news, i put the key in after changing the 20a "main" and it lit everything up, but when i hit the starter there was a light "click" and the whole thing died again, but a minute with the key in the "on" position, the lights came back on suddenly and i tried the starter again, same results. this happened about 3 times before it wouldnt, so IMO i have a short some place related to the starter...or the battery came loose.

all i even touched the whole time was the wires under the seat and the left side main power block thingy. nothing else got "wiggled" or adjusted to make it work suddenly, so im hoping i can get it home and pull it apart and track it down. i HATE taking off this tank....

Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Based on that it sounds like the battery connections really need to be checked, as well as the battery itself. It's possible for the battery to short internally and that can cause some weird problems if the internals are collapsing.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
Rev OP
Asshole

yeah once i get it home, thats the first thing i do right after buying a good set of sockets....

Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Oddometer: 2,467
Did you say what year the KLR is?

How many miles approx your at?

While I wait for that data, I will say check both battery connections, and make sure something did not momentarily short across them, ie, a tool left in that area, etc. That's a stretch, but look around. Sometimes electrical-born mishaps will leave a stink behind when you get things apart. Other times it can be from wire rubs even against plastic, like behind the gauge pack a great one for that. Fuse never blows, the fire goes out and you mysteriously coast to a stop. Been there. My 2009 had the "according to your VIN number sir, you HAVE the updated wiring harness". Yeah, right, sure. I ended up scoring a new in the bag harness for $80 bucks on ebay, plugged it in, everything fine. After looking for faults for a week and could not find it.

Keep us posted.

Which doo spring did you have?

Coil or torsion.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote