User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
08, i think im under 9k

yeah i called and they told me my vin had the harness replaced.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Thanks. My 2009 took this shit at about 14,000 miles.

Couple things-- the upper fairing sucks to pull if you have not done it before. Typically, the rubber well nuts go into a state of perpetual rotation and cause one's brain to be confused. Many second-gen KLR's get rub throughs on the rather fine wires that feed the backs of the gauge pack. The brown wire that will be on the far left (if you were sitting on the tire facing the gauges, see left) of the back of the gauges is one common one..... it rubs on the white plastic rib on the back of the gauges. It will be on the back of the wire(s) so you have to get in there and rotate it around a little, flashlight, dental mirror, what ever ya got. It's a very common one, and it will NOT blow the mainfuse/fuses. It may have been happening over time, the insulation wears away slowly, moisture "greens out" the fine wire and it may be green and furry when viewed up close.

Example. The white structure or "corner" under the wires, or between the blue dots is one common rub.

See how the brown wire goes left out of sight, and right? Check all those wires back there, but especially the brown one.... it's path hidden from view on the left here...... but have a look.

When mine took a poop and coasted to the side of road, we ended up trailering it home. The ride of shame...

We had been riding offroad on a military base on some trails and having a good time. We pulled a bunch of stuff off at the time when trail-side, and checked the obvious areas, and gave up.

After I got it home, I put it up on a lift (Sears Jack) and tore off the tank, seat, upper/lower fairings, side covers, even the front fender so I could get my head in different places to look around. I was moving wires back and forth and around behind the gauges. Every once in awhile, I tried the key. Like yours-- my headlight, etc would come on, but would not spin the starter. I made a vented, fuel IV bottle to hang over the bike during this project, it has come in very handy since and gets borrowed on occasion... you gotta get the tank off, much of the harness runs under the tank!

As I dicked around, at one point the bike started by chance. WTF. I never found the fault spot and could not make it fault out again. I knew I had made contact or touched the bad spot and re-accuired a connection, but I could not zero in on it. That was when I said piss on it and scored the new harness. Now my harness and the wires behind the gauges are all totally split-loom armored, many feet of tape, strips of inner tube, zip ties, etc.

This video I found at the time might help. The guy a little pissed at Kawi. I was too.

You really need to get it home somehow....

~

Unstable Rider screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 11:59 PM
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #18
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,372
yep.... unlike the older KLR, Gen II bikes need a good battery & electrics for the engine to run. I fixed one where a brown wire rubbed through up behind the instrument panel (same spot). brown is like a power feed for the various lights up there. anyway, it also was blowing the main fuse, so I wired a flasher into the fuse socket and moved stuff around until it quit flashing... that was how I found it. then it was fixed with tape and RTV
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Exactly Beeze. Yup-yep.

Most of us also have run into or heard of, the KLR "boiling" it's stock battery, or cells mysteriously ending up low or dry. The stock battery not great for the application. I swapped mine for a $79 (delivered) DEKA, sealed, no hassle replacement and never looked back.

That brown wire, some guys have tapped off it to run accessories.... it's possible on a used bike, that someone used a cheeseball type wire tap and it has gone green and furry back there. I'm actually running some of Sanjoh's LED's off that same brown wire.... but I soldered and used heat shrink... (still cheating).

linky:

DEKA "absorbed glass matt" sealed battery.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
well that was fucking stupid...

$90 for a 3 mile tow (could have pushed it home, but the road is dangerous)
$100 for some tools since SOMEONE in this house left the old sockets outside then threw them away when they rusted...
$60 for a new harness

cost to fix??? nothing. could have fixed it in the parking lot the day off probably.

turns out the PO put a 12v plug on the bars and wired it up to a fuse. no big deal, but i noticed the night i went back to repair the bike in the parking lot it was the only fuse blown, and didnt think anything of it.

but today, i pulled everything but the tank off (glad i stopped there) and went to undo the battery and on a whim i pulled the wires off for the plug. wouldnt you know it, fired right up!

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote