User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
Chubber OP
I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer: 540
Setting up Ohlins rear shock preload?

I have been struggling with setting up the rear Ohlins shock preload. I set them to about 1/2 way in the adjustment range, 1/4 from the top and 1/4 from the bottom. But I am not "feeling" much difference in my butt. Is there a more scientific way to get the rear preload set up?
Chubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Your sag should be at 1/3 travel. Check out this link for full details on setting them up. Keep in mind GS shocks shouold be set at 1/3 sag.

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Set...9/Default.aspx

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
GSNoŽl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I had them saturday, they came with instructions:

ride hight front (sag with you on the bike): 50-60 mm, it's ok for 1/3 travel

Ride hight back: 30-40 mm, it's significant less than 1/3 travel... I put it with 50 mm, not bad...

By the way , one question about rebound damping: they say 14 clics for back and 18 clics for front... These number are starting from the position max (harder) ? you count them with turning to softer ?
GSNoŽl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,219
I had the same issue to start with

The manuals that come with the shocks give sag measurements for road bikes. Good for stuff-all with a GS. The rebound damping settings are rubbish too.
I found that with the front, it broke in and then got a little looser in the action, so I just added half a turn of spring preload and haven't touched it since. Works fine for me on all surfaces.
The rear was (and still is to an extent) a real bastard to set up. When it's right it's just a magic carpet ride.
Solo with bugger-all else I tend to use 6 to 7 turns on the rear spring from full soft. Rebound is set at 4 to 5 clicks out from full hard, which seems a bit on the stiff side to me but that is what works. I strongly suspect that the oil in the rear shock is just about toast, and I am getting both shocks serviced this week so I will be able to tell if that makes a difference. The rear seems to be quite sensitive to changing surfaces and road speed, so what works on a freeway and feels good will need adjusting for rough backroads. Once you get the hang of it though it is worth the adjustments for the ride quality, and it only takes 15 seconds to do.
Hope this helps.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
GSNoŽl
Gnarly Adventurer

I had 2 instructions papers with the Ohlins, one which is not specific, the owner manual, and one which is specific for 12GS (with mounting instructions) and sag values are different in the two manuals... So I think the values in the specific one are good for the GS... Anyway, I setted them like they said, and it seems good... Time will tell... Your settings seems very stiff...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Your sag should be at 1/3 travel. Check out this link for full details on setting them up. Keep in mind GS shocks shouold be set at 1/3 sag.

http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Set...9/Default.aspx

Jim
Uhh, Jim, make up your mind. First you say 1/3 travel then you point to Ohlins doc that says 25-40 mm. 1/3 travel should be around 66 mm, no?

I've always wondered why Ohlins specs the numbers they do.

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
Uhh, Jim, make up your mind. First you say 1/3 travel then you point to Ohlins doc that says 25-40 mm. 1/3 travel should be around 66 mm, no?

I've always wondered why Ohlins specs the numbers they do.

// marc
Those instructions/specs are general instructions. The actual numbers for the GS are not the same as a sports bike.

1/3 or about 66mm sag is correct for a GS.

Jim
Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Those instructions/specs are general instructions. The actual numbers for the GS are not the same as a sports bike.

1/3 or about 66mm sag is correct for a GS.

Jim
The doc that comes from Ohlins labeled "Ohlins shock absorber kit BM 436 for BMW R 1200 GS, rear" specifies a "Ride Height" of 30-40 mm, about 1/2 of what you think it should be. Who's right, you or Ohlins?

I think you are correct, but then why does Ohlins specify otherwise?

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
The doc that comes from Ohlins labeled "Ohlins shock absorber kit BM 436 for BMW R 1200 GS, rear" specifies a "Ride Height" of 30-40 mm, about 1/2 of what you think it should be. Who's right, you or Ohlins?

I think you are correct, but then why does Ohlins specify otherwise?

// marc
I see what you are saying, and you are right. The best way to make it work is to determine if you are a street rider, or a duel sport rider. If you are a street rider only, go with the smaller sag. If you intend to do duel sport, go with the larger sag.

Honestly, this is about the limit of my suspension knowledge, and there are others like RideLD and SQD8R that have more knowledge than I!

Jim
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,219
Post-service update

Hello boys and girl.
Ohlins just serviced, new settings!
After the service the rear shock now has 6 turns on the spring and is running rebound at 8 clicks out from full hard. The ride is good, but not yet perfect. I shall overcome. Eventually.
The front shock works better due to some tweaking of the rebound by "the man" (slightly stiffer rebound). Front spring remains unchanged.
Still a great set of legs, and worth the initial exhorbitant fee.
Oh, and the service was cheap (relatively). In Aussie dollars (pennies to you) I rode the bike into the workshop, pissed orf for a big breakfast, bludged around with a newspaper perving on the young mums at a local mall, then picked the bike up. Both shocks removed, serviced and refitted for $250.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #11
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,300
The bike would handle like crap with that little of rear sag. I go with the 1/4-1/3 of total travel method. Been doing it for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
GSNoŽl
Gnarly Adventurer

That means 50 mm ?...

So am I... For 90 kgs with equipment and BM top-case, for me it is about 3 or 4 turns of preload
Old 03-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD
The bike would handle like crap with that little of rear sag. I
Not on the road, it wouldn't. I'm still on the standard shocks and am running almost maximum preload on the rear. Solo rider, c. 180 lbs kitted up. In the absence of an independent ride height adjuster on the OE shock, it's a quick 'n' dirty fix to get the bike to turn quickly and paradoxically to be more stable in a straight line. The absence of sag and the preloaded spring compromise ride quality but the bike handles and steers far better set up like that.

One of the main reasons I've been looking at Ohlins recently is because of the independent ride height adjustment on the rear. For those of you who've got them already, I'd recommend lots of ride height at the rear. Try it, it works....
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #14
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,920
As far as setting up the damping, you may want to set it at the least and most damping and ride it to get yourself used to the feeling your looking for when you are fine tuning it. Some have a hard time distinguishing between a few clicks one way or the other. If you get used to the feeling your looking for by exagerating it at first it may be easier to detect the difference between the smaller adjustments later

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #15
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
One of the main reasons I've been looking at Ohlins recently is because of the independent ride height adjustment on the rear.
Ride height and sag are 2 different things. In order for the shock to function at its full ability the sag has to be set between 1/4 and 1/3 of the total wheel travel. If you have a separate ride height adjustment you can raise the ride height and still keep the sag in the sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote