User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
gr8grins OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
New GSAW lean running?

For those of you who have the new GSAW and have/had a cam head, do you notice the similar lean running characteristics, particularly at low throttle angles, that the cam head has? (Like surging and snatchy throttle at, and just off, idle.)
Thanks!
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,763
no
Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,004
They all do that.

When in heavy traffic I put it in Enduro Pro or Rain mode to lesson the effect.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Travman
SDF

Oddometer: 411
On/off throttle is considerably smoother than on the camhead. However, I am getting some surging at 4-4200 rpm. Not bad but noticable if hold throttle constat at that point. Will address with dealer during the run-in service this week.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
pistole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
no , not at all.

but we get euro spec bikes over here.

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
AZriderTST
TST1

Oddometer: 23
surge

2013 GSLC I also have rough 1 and 2 gear at 20-25 mph
AZriderTST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
PKLOP Report from vendor thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklop View Post
I didn't know exactly what the af-xied did for me because i had gotten both new software from bmw and the bmw-af-xied at almost the same time. I therefor deinstalled the af-xied. While riding for a while i got a good feeling about what was changed.

The surging i sometimes experienced was stil gone. The dip in perceived power between 4500 ... 5500 rpm was also not so bad (i have a early 2013 GS LC bike). The throttle response (at higher then 2200 rpm) felt still good (just a little bit less then with the af-xied). So these things i attribute to the updated fuel mapping from bmw. But boy was there a bad change in low rpm smoothness (without the af-xied)!

I took me by suprise when the bike started shaking, stuttering and got realy bad final-drive reactions when i dropped below 1800 rpm in second gear through some sharp very low speed turns in the city-streets. It seems that i already had gotten used to the possibility of letting those rpms drop that far and now without the af-xied i couldn't.

I re-installed the af-xied. Since then i have driven some 500 hundred miles. People i can tell you: for low rpm power & smoothness this thing rocks on the GS LC! Since i do a decent amount of offroad with this bike this improvement in low rpm smoothness is the best improvement i could wish for.

No more stalling or working the clutch a lot. Now the bike pulls like a GS should - that's like a tractor.
I did find this a weak spot with the new engine (the driveability below 2000 rpm) but not anymore. To illustrate this; I did a test riding in second gear without my hand on the gas driving upon a small hill (embankment besides a river). So while idling around (1200 rpm) the bike pulled without hesitation and without almost stalling upon that hill, it just kept on pulling! To me this kind of behavior is all the reason i need to keep the af-xied. It was not cheap (with EU taxes) but worth it.
I wanted to let you guys know about these experiences.

Regards
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote