User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
HomeMadeJoe OP
always wondering (mind)

Oddometer: 91
KLR Mermites

Just got a set of Mermites to convert to panniers for my KLR. Question: One side of the lid latches do not completely release...they latch and release, but do not come all the way off...

To the other mermite masters out there, which way is best to face them, or do I just fix the latches so they are completely removable?

What is the general opinion of removing the carrying handles on the ends? Are they really used after the conversion?

Thanks agian "Pilot" for the detailed picture instructions of convertion.

Joe.
HomeMadeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
Wufnu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I mounted mine so the permanent latches were on the inside. I didn't see any positives to having them open outwards. If I had it to do over again, I don't know which way I would lay them. I can say that opening the can on the left side when the bike is on its side stand is a pain because the lid keeps wanting to close.

I removed the handles because I didn't see any reason to keep them and didn't want to hear them clanging around all the time.

Check my thread here:
http://www.klr650.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5095
Wufnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
I likewise mounted the permanent latches on the inside. The reason for this is that you need to have some room to undo the latches to open the cases. You *can* open them from the inside, but it'd be a bigger pain if you had gloves on, or if you had a load of stuff on your rear rack.

I had removed the handles for a bit, but put them back on after a while. When you pull them off, it is nice to have handles to move them here and there. Moving a loaded mermite can full of stuff without any handles is a PITA. As was mentioned, they make some noise. I opted to just wrap mine in some foam, but I think a better option is to run some cable where the handles were and use a piece of rubber tubing. That way you retain the utility of the handles without the noise. They also make good strapping points...

Another great thing about the Mermites is that they are good chairs when you're out and about. You can yank one off and use it to sit on when you're around the campfire. Having handles and such is a good thing.

Also, don't forget that you can hollow out the tops too, and use that area for tool storage.

Go dig around in my bikepics pages: KLR Pics to see some of my mermite stuff...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
HomeMadeJoe OP
always wondering (mind)

Oddometer: 91
mermites

Thanks for the info, that helped. Didn't think about the side stand thing. Will tear into them next weekend.
Joe.
HomeMadeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

I found that they stayed open just fine on the sidestand. The latches allow the lid to sit up on the ledge, which keeps them open no matter what, until you decide to close them (at any angle).
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

Old 04-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,132
I went the odd way and left the "hinges" on the outside. Kind of felt that if you opened both tops at once then there might be a problem with them hitting each other. Took the handles off cuz they bang around/rattle. Am trying to design a lock-able top using some type of interior slide mechanism to that I can get rid of the clasps all together. Designed the frame as a single unit that just bolts to the pegs/blinker holes. Currently fabricating a blinker setup which will bolt underneath the luggage rack using the stockers so that if the bags/rack is off I can just go back to stock. Merms are the best way to go! Have fun with the insulation (make sure the beer is cold)

"If I wanted someone to clean me up I'de find myself a maid"-Dawes
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Interesting rack!

I think the rack determines, to a large degree, how you mount your cans.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #8
Wufnu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I have a pelican topcase which prevents opening the lids too far. On the side stand, it points a little less than vertical. If you don't have a case up top, it won't be a problem.

Wufnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
demaris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
an interesting fact, mermites have almost exactly the same outside dims as the pelican 1550.

i'm leaving the "non release" hinges on and mounting the cans with them on the outside. then moving the "release" hinges to the inside edge of front and back so the lids will fold outward and not interfere with the pelican 1550 trunk.