User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
burnoil OP
Schrodinger is right

Oddometer: 30
KLR to Super Tenere

Well, I am officially insane...well, more insane than usual. I have had my 2012 KLR 650 for about 4 months. It's cool, pretty fun to ride. I've farkled it up fairly well for me (I'm 6'5" tall so mods for that). Exhaust, jetted, nice windscreen, blah blah...then I see and read more about the Super Tenere.

Oh...****...

Now, I am in lust and I want to cheat on my KLR. I can't look away. It whispers to me and makes eyes at me. Sexay as hell!

Is someone going to talk me out of this or am I just going to get in that Super Tenere saddle?

(Hope this is in the right forum area)
burnoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
gusutavot800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoil View Post
Well, I am officially insane...well, more insane than usual. I have had my 2012 KLR 650 for about 4 months. It's cool, pretty fun to ride. I've farkled it up fairly well for me (I'm 6'5" tall so mods for that). Exhaust, jetted, nice windscreen, blah blah...then I see and read more about the Super Tenere.

Oh...****...

Now, I am in lust and I want to cheat on my KLR. I can't look away. It whispers to me and makes eyes at me. Sexay as hell!

Is someone going to talk me out of this or am I just going to get in that Super Tenere saddle?

Well, I don't own an ST but own a Tiger 800 and two of my riding partners own Klrs, they are very reliable bikes, but they are no match for beasts, whether its a Super Tenere, Tiger, GS, they are own their own league. So please post pics of the new ST when you get it....
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,624
Sounds like you're smitten. I rode a KLR for about 4 years and then got a Tenere. Don't get me wrong, LOVE the KLR but once your on the big guy you won't really look back. I'm 6'4" so I can relate, you'll be modding the S10 to fit too.

Go for it if the numbers work for you.
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,545
I too am guilty of having an affair with a Tenere while the KLR was in the garage.
Trust me the guilt goes away fast. Kept the KLR thinking I might still use it,
only as a loaner. The Tenere is surprising off road. Surprisingly fun!
Zero similarity on road. KLR is almost unbearable after slabbing with
a Beast.

The only regret you will have is wondering why you waited so long to get one.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
burnoil OP
Schrodinger is right

Oddometer: 30
Now I am trying to figure out if you guys were helpful or just enabling a budding addiction :)

I have an appointment to go see one tomorrow afternoon. Don't tell the KLR.
burnoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

Oh...****...

If you like the klr a tenere will be nirvana
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
shadowjack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Now I am trying to figure out if you guys were helpful or just enabling a budding addiction :)

I have an appointment to go see one tomorrow afternoon. Don't tell the KLR.
Yeah, sure, you say you'll ride an ST just once, just the once, just to see what its like..
I rode a Super Tenere, just once, just to see what it was like. It was more than 11,000 earthquakes ago (as we measure time down here) and now, still I keep getting these flashbacks....damn you, Yamaha, trafficking in euphoric motorcycling experiences since ages ago.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,313
Two guys (you know who you are...) in my riding group got em. We all ride/or rode KLR's previous to the big Yammy.

The KLR a gateway drug. Keep the KLR if you can-- great addition to the ST.

You might need the KLR to run to the store on a Sunday when you run out of car wax for the ST.

Cause gosh knows you never have to work on an ST.

Great bike.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
I've got a friend that lets me ride his S10, and it's a great bike. Love everything about it, except that you have to run premium/high octane fuel in it. Call me crazy, but that's a deal breaker for me. I've called Yamaha HQ to see if there was something I could do to the bike to run regular fuel and they said "nope". I know lots of folks are going to refer to what Nick Sanders did with non-premium fuel on his epic trip. Great bike though and it would fit ALL my needs except that one. Good luck!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I've got a friend that lets me ride his S10, and it's a great bike. Love everything about it, except that you have to run premium/high octane fuel in it. Call me crazy, but that's a deal breaker for me. I've called Yamaha HQ to see if there was something I could do to the bike to run regular fuel and they said "nope". I know lots of folks are going to refer to what Nick Sanders did with non-premium fuel on his epic trip. Great bike though and it would fit ALL my needs except that one. Good luck!
It's not just Nick Sanders who ran anything he could in it. Several owners, me included, have
run anything that was available with no noticable difference in performance. I choose to run
premium in everything anyway. If it's not available no big deal.

I doubt Yamaha corporate is going to say anything otherwise and contradict their own manual.

If the difference in the price of gas is the deciding factor on buying a bike then perhaps the KLR
is the best choice.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
The ST is a better bike in just about every possible way except one: it weighs about 150 more pounds. Only an issue if you are riding offroad in situations where weight matters. Or in really heavy slow urban traffic. Oh, and its twice the price.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,660
Twice the price!

But 3 times the horsepower!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
HDFlyer76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Well having the KLR is fun, I have always considered it a lovely bike that does nothing great and nothing bad. But the ST is fantastic and much more fun. I call the ST the bike I wish my KLR was. The ST has power, brakes, handles like a sport bike and brings a real smile to my face every time I ride it.

I rode the KLR for the first time in months the other day to make sure it ran and the battery was charged. It was like an old pair of gloves, it fit nicely, but nothing exciting. Rode the ST afterwards and my pulse rate increased, breathing became deeper and then hold on...off like Santa on Christmas Eve. If you want the feeling of Christmas morning every time you get on your motorcycle get the ST.
Honda 450x
Work hard, play harder!!
HDFlyer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,313
You know of course, that any KLR riding chums you "leave behind" will screw with your new ST when you are not looking.

We freely admit, it's jealousy. Shaft drive, tubeless, no doo hickey, say no more!

So, when ST chums are not looking, you snap pics of them coming out of diners. You sit on the images awhile and then in the cold of winter, you PhotoShop some smack onto their pride and joy in retaliation. All in fun. His wife made a 12 image calender for him for Christmas from riding & trip pics I took of him the season before.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,607
I wouldn't own either one of those piles.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote