User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Another modular vs dual sport helmet thread

Need to buy a new helmet in the next month or so. Totally torn between a modular like a Schuberth C3 (waiting for the Pro to come out) and a dual sport Arai XD4.

Modular Pro's:
Handy flip up the face part for talking while stopping, riding at lower speeds, etc.
Purportedly a very quiet helmet
Very nicely integrated bluetooth and internal antenna
Internal flip down sun shield
Pin lock visor included
Con's:
Questionably not as safe as a full face
No visor for shading in early morning/late day sun
Venting/air flow
Price

Dual sport Pro's:
Wide eye aperture for visibility
Excellent venting
Visor for sun protection

Cons:
Noisier
Colder to wear in bad weather
Have to pay extra for a pinlock screen
Wind grabbing visor when head checking
Resonance in dirty air

Am I missing anything? This will be my only helmet. I tend not to ride when it's truly cold and nasty out, so if I get caught out in weather, it'll be by accident. It gets very hot here in the summer, venting is important. I'll be doing some off road riding, but the majority of my riding will be on road, at city street type speeds with some highway cruising.

I'm leaning toward the XD4, but I'm concerned about the buffeting and wind grabbing the visor, as well as how much noiser it is vs the Schuberth. Anyone have both helmets and could comment on them?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
I get better whole head venting with my XD4 than I do with my modular even with the face open.
I prefer the XD even on the hottest days.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Any issues with resonance with the visor at highway speeds or wind grabbing it when you head check for a lane change?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 550
I had the XD4 and use a modular.

Couldn't get the Schuberth though, the strap felt like it was choking me, had to go with the Shoei Neotec for the modular. I ride 85% street and the rest dirt.

If you're an everyday rider, i.e., using the bike as transportation, get a modular. The convenience is amazing. Once I got used to being able to flip it up to deal with stuff when you use your bike as a car replacement, how quiet it was and the internal sun visor, I sold the XD4. The sun visor negates the need for a peak on the helmet when the sun is low. It's awesome. That alone is worth a modular.

On dirt on summer days, the Neotec gets hot. The XD vents super well plus you can pull the visor off and wear googles, something to think about too. I don't ride dirt as much I as use my bike for transportation, so I went modular for convenience's sake and it works well enough in the dirt.

Other things: the Neotec came with a pinlock. I thought it was b.s. until I wore it through the rainy season. It's worth every penny. On the XD at highway speeds, I didn't notice a huge issue with wind grabbing the peak during head checks. Thing creates a lot of noise though.
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
I went from n XD3 which was a great hat, to a Shoei NeoTec. And I'll never look back.
Oh sure, the XD looks the part. But the only thing I'll really miss is the 'peak' for a sun visor. That really helps when the sun is up high.

(tip for when the sun is low in the sky, I use electrical tape and create a visor with a strip or 2 of tape on he upper part of the visor.)
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,949
I have an XD3 and a Schuberth C3. I ride till the roads are covered with ice or roadsalt, in temps down to the single digits. I find the ventilation on the C3 more than adequate, though over 100F I have to keep the visor open an inch or so. The only time I prefer the Arai is riding into the sun. I do the electrical tape thing across the top of the C3 visor, but it's a poor substitute for the visor.

The Arai is noisy above 40mph or so. The Schuberth is remarkably quiet.

In cold weather the C3 rocks! In hot weather I use a moist LD Comfort helmet liner and the ventilation is sufficient to keep my head comfy...even in the 108F temps we found in Missouri last summer.

Stoke is right about the convenience factor of a modular. People are more friendly if they can see your face while you're talking, and there are times when my dog is a little antsy so I'll flip the chinguard up and have a little chat with him

95% of the time I reach for the Schuberth.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
stoke
ocean minded

once you go modular, you never go back

For the guys using electrical tape, check this out from the Aerostich catalog:

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/he...unblocker.html

Uses static electricity to attach, so super easy. There is this version too, which is a more "permanent" install:

http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/he...peed-tint.html

I have the first one, but I found the sun visor in the Neotec does great.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Any issues with resonance with the visor at highway speeds or wind grabbing it when you head check for a lane change?
I'm on a r1200GSA so I have a big shield. Only resonance if I'm tailgating someone.

It's funny. I've got a ton of miles on my modular and once I got the Arai, I mostly leave the mod behind. Can't seem to ride the HD with the XD yet though
It has the shade, it works but not as well as the peak. I find it hard looking through 'sunglasses' (drop down shield) for 75% of my needs but looking down at gauges I see under the sun visor. Sunglasses are better for me but less convenient by just a little.

I have no car... so I ride every day.

It is nice to be open but the XD has such a big opening, It's almost the same.

I don't have a schuberth, I have the Shark Evoline II and maybe the Schuberth is heads and shoulders above the Shark.

trc.rhubarb screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 09:45 PM
trc.rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
I can't comment on the Schuberth because I've never owned one. But I had an XD4 and got rid of it almost immediately. The paint was beautiful, venting was good, but...

the lining material was like sandpaper;
chin strap padding was too short so the nylon strap rubbed my neck;
shield removal/reinstallation for cleaning was an absolute PITA;
incessant buffeting with the peak installed, and still very noisy without it.

If it didn't say 'Arai' all over it, I wouldn't have believed the XD4 was an Arai product. It's just not at the level of quality you expect from them, especially at that price.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,339
I've had a previous generation Schubreth, and persently have an AGV AX-8 . . . .

Modulars, overall, are appropriate for more types of riding, IMO . . . . it comes down to how much off road work you do . . . . .50/50, it's a coin toss -- more pavement hours than off road? Schuberth.

If you are a "I only ride pavement to get to the good stuff" kinda rider, the the DS lid . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

I'll mostly be riding on the street to work, on the weekends I hope to ride on some fire roads etc, but I imagine it'll be at best 75% street and 25% offroad, with the ratio skewing more towards street.

Sounds like the modular is better suited for me...
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
I'll mostly be riding on the street to work, on the weekends I hope to ride on some fire roads etc, but I imagine it'll be at best 75% street and 25% offroad, with the ratio skewing more towards street.

Sounds like the modular is better suited for me...
If you are limited to one helmet and you're mostly street, get a modular. You get extreme value compared to the XD4: pinlock & sun visor included plus it's quiet and you can flip it up while getting gas/taking breaks in dirt, etc.

If you really want the XD4, pick it up on the used market after you get the modular. I sold mine on craigslist. Guy got a damn good deal.

Then write up your comparison test for us!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
docwyte OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I ordered a Schuberth C3 Pro yesterday, should have it in about 4 days. I'll post a new thread once I get it...
Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
good deal! Post up your thoughts after a little use.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Thanks for the great thread...

I ride in a supremely comfortable FF Nexx, but am thinking of going to buy a Shoei Neotec today..(15% off at a local shop).

Love my FF helmet, but the convenience of being able to look at people in the eye, drink, take a picture, etc.

And, surprisingly, the Shoei fits my "Arai" shaped head.

Cheers,
Steve