User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
maddognsc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Twisted Throttle and SW-Motech did me wrong.

Edit 8/16: Twisted Throttle has since rectified the situation by sending me a new latch. If you don't read through the entire thread I encourage you to at least read Kevins (the CEO) post on page 6. I believe that TT is a reputable company that is trying to have "best of breed" business practices. I will continue to patronize their company and I encourage others to do the same.

(MOD COMMENT: OP asked me to add the above statement).

I've got a '12 Wee and have a SW-Motech day bag on the tank. In addition to the tank bag I've got the sidebags and other assorted SW-Motech gear that's worth over $1,500 on the bike. I was cruising through the mountains of Western North Carolina and stopped for gas. The SW-Motech bag was stuck on my tank. It took me 3 hours to get it off because it has an obvious defective part. How do I know that it's obviously a defective part??? Because Twisted Throttle told me so.

Yeah, I called Twisted Throttle to tell them about the issue. They told me that the part was defective and had been upgraded. Now this is a tank bag that costs over $300 so you would think they'd stand behind their product, nope. They tried to sell me a new attachement to replace the defective one. And to top it all off they wanted to charge me full retail and shipping ($75).

And then to add insult to injury... I wrote a review of the product on their webpage and they sent me an email saying they WOULD NOT post the review because it didn't meet their standards. Here's what they said:

"Our staff has read your comment and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!"

I've usually had a good experience with them but this is the first time I've tried to work through a defective product with them. Bottom line is that they suck with their Customer Service! I for one won't ever do business with them again. Here's a video that goes over my experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZ9dDOegy0

GB screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 06:38 PM
Old 08-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 655
Did you contact SW-Motech?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
BMW have released a bunch of upgraded parts for my bike over the years. I'm sure each upgrade was done to overcome some weakness that they uncovered, but strangely I don't have a sense of entitlement that I should get each upgraded part provided at no charge.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
SignalX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Just my opinion, but TT seems like the innocent bystander. Its not their responsibility to take care of a defective part made by SW-MOTECH. Hopefully if you contact SW-MOTECH they fix you up
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 958
Retailers obligation finished when you accepted the item. That's what warranties are for...and you deal with the manufacturer or their designated representative for that, not the retailer.

Yes, it would be cool if TT took care of your issue...but you really should reach out to SW-Motech as it is their issue, not the retailer's. Did you contact SW-Motech and they told you to work with TT on this issue?

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Defective is probably not the correct term.

It sounds like it was found that the original part was of a poor design and was then later upgraded.

I've had this happen with many parts for vehicles in the past, never once was I offered the updated part for free.

This is the way of the world and you may have to just suck it up.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
maddognsc OP
Adventurer

Twisted Throttle and SW-Motch

I totally understand that some RESELLERS of products are not responsible for products that are properly made without defects. I also understand that some RESELLERS of products refer you to the manufacturer in cases that there is a defective product and you can contact the manufaturer, since the manufacturer is ultimately responsible.

But this situation is a little different. SW-Motech is a German company with no locations or distribution facilities in the USA. Twisted Throttle is not only a reseller, they are the USA DISTRIBUTOR of the products. In defective product Liability claims a Distributor is responsible for ensuring the quality and reliability of a product, and is responsible for correcting know defects or discontinuing carrying the product. In legalese it's known as the "Doctrine of Strict Liability".

Bottom line is that I can't go to the manufacturer and Twisted Throttle has basically taken an attitude of indifference. If you guys want to do business with a company like this then go right ahead, hope it works out for you. I'm just sharing an experience where I have a $300+ bag that is worthless to me. If anyone wants to buy it and spend the $75 for another tank bag then IM me and I'll fish it out of the trash can and send it to you.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddognsc View Post
Bottom line is that I can't go to the manufacturer and Twisted Throttle has basically taken an attitude of indifference. If you guys want to do business with a company like this then go right ahead, hope it works out for you. I'm just sharing an experience where I have a $300+ bag that is worthless to me. If anyone wants to buy it and spend the $75 for another tank bag then IM me and I'll fish it out of the trash can and send it to you.
What a drama queen. God forbid the road ever throws you a real adventure.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
maddognsc OP
Adventurer

You've never done business with Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post

It sounds like it was found that the original part was of a poor design and was then later upgraded.

I've had this happen with many parts for vehicles in the past, never once was I offered the updated part for free.

No, the part is defective. When I was talking to Twisted Throttle the guy on the customer support line even told me about people that had them stuck and having to cut the things off of the tank. And if you get a defective part any manufacturer will gladly replace the part with a similar or better one. "Suck it up"??? I guess you're the perfect customer for Twisted Throttle.

If you want to see where the bar is set for customer service call up Amazon. They do it right and every internet company needs to try to reach that expectation.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Whether it's TT or SW Motech that stands behind the product, I tend to agree with OP. If a part is defective, it should be replaced. Ideally, at the expense of the manufacturer, but at the very least, at a heavily discounted rate. Mistakes happen, and good companies take strides to fix those mistakes--just look at any factory recalls, or patches for software. And let's face it, though I've had good dealings with TT and good experiences with SW Motech products, they are certainly not where you go shopping for a bargain. Paying a premium price should coincide with confidence in a product.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 721
So the retailer sells you a part that is obviously defective, and that is reinforced because they say it is.

It is so defective that they come up with a redesign to make it workable, but they only offer it to recent purchasers of their product at full retail. Even though according to them, as evidenced by their redesign, the product didn't function as advertised in the first place.

I too have purchased a lot of product from TT, and if they had treated me this way at any point, our relationship would have been over. No way to treat a customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbonian View Post

Off the top of my head I can recall a couple of times I was given the redesigned part for free, with installation, to upgrade a poor design:

- Maybe you're old enough to remember the Acura NSX. Poor snap ring design on the output shaft of the tranny would sometimes cause big problems for the 91 & 92 models. Mine hadn't presented a problem yet, but I got it replaced by the dealer, at no small expense to them I'll bet. Of course I'm sure they were reimbursed by Honda, as TT should insist on from SW-motech.

- Chevy C2500 turbo-diesel, bad fuel injection controller. Problem appeared 5-years after I bought the truck, way out of warranty. Found out from a 3rd party shop that a TSB had been released years before acknowledging a defective design. Took some brow-beating, but I got the dealer to replace the controller for free. Would have cost $1500 at the first shop.

Don't take crap. $300 is a lot of money for a tank bag. It better work fucking perfect. If it doesn't I want it fixed or my money back. I'll be letting TT know that I saw this post and the attached video and am not happy with their alleged response.

motorcyclefanatic screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 02:36 PM
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Did you try any sort of lubrication? Looks sticky to me, watched the video. I have a similar Bags Connection bag for my Versys. Simpler latch.

It is an expensive bag, as was mine. I would not be very happy with TT, but it sure looked like you like the bag, and it looks like it wouldn't break you to pay for the fix. Can you get a better bag for the cost of the fix?

And, maybe that vid will shame them into at least a discount replacement policy.

djg screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 02:45 PM
Old 08-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
maddognsc OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Did you try any sort of lubrication? Looks sticky to me, watched the video. I have a similar Bags Connection bag for my Versys. Simpler latch.

It is an expensive bag, as was mine. I would not be very happy with TT, but it sure looked like you like the bag, and it looks like it wouldn't break you to pay for the fix. Can you get a better bag for the cost of the fix?
It is a nice bag and it would be far cheaper to pay them the $75 for the replacement of the defective part. But what happens if/when that part breaks??? As a previous poster said I paid a premium price for this bag and I expected a quality product. I don't support companies that take advantage of their customers and this is an example of where TT not providing a reasonable solution to a defective product. So I'm not going to further provide revenue for them by purchasing additional products from them. And since they are the distributor of the product they will profit if I purchase the fix from anywhere in the US.

To Morcylefantatic... I've got a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with 250k miles on it. I love to go off road in that thing. Imagine my supprise when I got a notice in the mail the other day that they're doing a recall on the gas tank. They're putting a $300 trailer hitch on it for no charge since it was a defective design. Twenty One year old vehicle and they're still supporting it.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddognsc View Post
To Morcylefantatic... I've got a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with 250k miles on it. I love to go off road in that thing. Imagine my supprise when I got a notice in the mail the other day that they're doing a recall on the gas tank. They're putting a $300 trailer hitch on it for no charge since it was a defective design. Twenty One year old vehicle and they're still supporting it.
Huge difference between a safety related recall that Chrysler fought the Feds on for close to a year, and a mildly defective Tank Bag Bracket.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
maddognsc OP
Adventurer

Motorcycle Fanatic

Just notice that you're from Blue Ridge. My buddy in ATL married a Mathis, you know any of them? I haven't rode up there but it's on my Bucket list. Wanting to head out into the backwoods around Cherohala and of course visit some of the local tourist traps like McCainsville Gun and Drug. I've got 3 of their shirts, I like the camo one the best. lol

Maddognsc
Closed Thread